GBA SERVICES
Happiness score is 50 out of 100

GBA SERVICES Reviews: Working at GBA SERVICES

United Kingdom38 reviews

jobworkgbaworkinggoodpaygreatlong

Constant long runs max hours every week

It's a very physically demanding job great if you want to loose abit of podge and gain muscle heaving 80-90 cages of stock for home bargains work life balance isn't to bad u get 3 days off each week on a 5 on 3 off works out for me 1 month working weekends the next month weekends off the biggest down side manage have no clue on the job nor any communication unfortunately you're a number not a person and training is very poor you have to teach youre self. but on the night rate £46,399 salary it's about 2700 take home each month including pension there is no benefits just you're standard pension and 28 days holiday as unfortunately you do work bank holidays but on nights they do tend to leave you to get on with the job.

A good place to work in a family run company

GBA is a family run company in the North West with depots all over the UK and Europe. The company employ a wide range of international and UK drivers who drive a wide of vehicles from vans up to HGV Class 1. While I worked for the company I travelled all over UK and Europe as far as Turkey. The work is very varied from general freight to high value loads. All of the employees work to a very high standard and it was a pleasure to work there.

Pros

Left to get on with the work

Cons

Can be a bit lonely but that's transport

Insights into GBA SERVICES

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Awful, look elsewhere

Awful place to work, no training or support. Some Colleagues and lower management are brilliant but overall was a miserable and depressing place to be.

A Beautifully Painted Picture : The closer you get, the more you see the cracks

When a company has to keep reminding you that they're a family business without it being apparent, it speaks volumes. There are a few good, caring people in the management structure but overall a coldness built into the others. When you twin that with a distinct lack of competence and experience it doesn't bode well for the workers on the ground consequently run ragged. As the summary review, GBA's paints the picture of themselves they want you to see but ultimately, does not live it's values which becomes clear very quickly. Repeatedly, no respect for day drivers with long days planned in resulting in staying out. As for the hours versus the salary, it isn't worth it by a long shot. Just do your homework before. In the words of Admiral Ackbar, "It's a trap!!"

Pros

Cons

Long Hours, poor planning, no driver facilities

Overworked for little pay

Overworked, expected more than your job. Rubbish pay. Taking out of hours calls. No promotions unless your favourite with the boss. No overtime pay.

Easy going, relaxed

Hgv driver on the Home Bargains contract (nights) 5 on 3 off so plenty home life. Easy work, decent pay (salaried), relaxed family atmosphere, stick to the rules and they leave you to it. Never any pressure.

Not worth 41K

Start times are all over the place. Come in on time and find yourself waiting at Liverpool after a 3-hour drive to be waiting 3 hours. Then have to drive back to a store usually around 3 1/2 hours away to empty a double decker of around 80 cages. Some 335kg in weight. Then put all the empty cages left in the store back on with cardboard and bags falling everywhere.Can be expected to work well over 12 hours a shft even 15.Works out around 12-13 pound an hour.Stay well clear. Jobs posted every week...wonder why.Bad management of drivers.

Want a life? Stay clear

Blame is often passed around for who is responsible for ensuring that work is given correctly with the right information. Long shifts, continuously passed around and often expected to carry out tasks that may result in continuous driving time extensions and reduced rests. Office staff are often reluctant to help at all and feel the need to pass the parcel from one another. Doesn’t seem like a family environment as advertised and you’ll never really know what type of work you will do. Management are care free and will only support you when the **** hits the fan.

Pros

Above average salary, Medicash

Cons

Long hours, reduced rests, no teamwork, poor management, work schedule non existent

No positives

Agree a start window when given job that's ignored and they move it about everyday, horrible cage work, home bargains trailers and tailifts are in shocking condition nothing works properly, management just pass the buck so no resolution to problems. Everyone at Newton aycliffe is looking for another job. There's the golden Boys who get the same easy job day after day and the rest of us are left with the rubbish. Worst job I've ever had

I have worked with GBA just short of 4 years. We are treated like family and are supported by management. Lot of benefits for employees. There has been a few changes over the last couple of years but all for the better.

Run away

They will tell you everything to get you in the job, starting times all over the place between days and nights every week, no life balance during your working week, old dirty trucks not look after with empty diesel tank left by the last driver, your days will depend on your face, not worth the money driving 8h and still need to unload a full double decker of cages by yourself and collect empty’s full of rubbish all over the floor for you to clean.

Good company

Overall had a good work life balance at GBA, they took onboard ideas and acted on them. Managers were supportive and had a good company ethos. Work colleagues were friendly and had a great team atmosphere

A large company with the small company atmosphere.

Having worked at GBA Amesbury for the past year I have settled into their relaxed way of doing things. They always make you feel welcome and the door is always open if you need to talk to management. The work is easy and they are very accommodating when it comes to work/ life balance.

Pros

Free uniform and PPE. Friendly staff.

Cons

None.

Steady job

Steady away Job working with a good bunch of lads.Office are pretty good and treat me fairly - trucks and starting to get tired, but new ones arriving soon

Pros

Steady job

Cons

Trucks getting tired

Great family business

I recently started working as a driver in the Amesbury depot, really welcoming team, fully supported induction and positive atmosphere.Would recommend

Pros

Family business values

Cons

Traffic

Lots of improvements

Working at GBA Amesbury has been a great experience, vastly Inproces over the recent months with changes to the operation.Big changes = big positives

Pros

Great induction

Cons

Traffic delays

Fantastic team spirit

GBA Amesbury offers people new into logistics the opportunity to thrive in a bustling and welcoming environment.I cannot express how the team work and relationships offset any challenges in the industry.Senior management are always availible to offer constructive guidance and support, but more than that, they help create a fantastic atmosphere.I couldn't recommend GBA enough

Pros

Free induction courses EG. Health and safety level 2

Cons

Standards logistical challenges

Challenging, stressful unappreciated, disrespected.

GBA claim to be a family business with family values! If this was my family, I would have disowned them, the way they treat you. They expect you to be still involved even when you have left work. No respect, no care for the employee, no following employment procedures, even making things up to get rid of you. They will change their own employee handbook to suit their own outcome. You will never have job security. Avoid!!

Pros

Being told you are doing/done a great job.

Cons

Asking you to leave without notice or valid reason why.

Over worked and underpaid

Overworked and under paid for job. No support for night drivers as management go home and runs allocated get scrapped and you get a lucky dip of where you’re going

Pros

Cons

Too many

"Family run" just an excuse to pay you less for double the work

There is zero progression available and employees are told this. If you want to go somewhere to work for the same wage until retirement with no fuss then this is the place for you. If you do want any kind of career progression, GBA is not for you. There is a glass ceiling for just about anyone but the main family itself but if you're female it's far worse. At least as a male in sales you get a tad more benefits and progression. The accounts department is the absolute worst for this. They have openly admitted that they will only employ admin roles and train these people to do jobs far beyond what they're paid for with the excuse "it's good experience, it'll look good on your CV".

Pros

Qualifications paid for

Cons

Zero progression

Great family business

GBA specialises in transport services for other companies. It is a fast paced company but still with a family feel to it. Everyone is approachable and super friendly, you can feel that everyone is willing to help you and support you. I worked for a few companies in my life, but I never felt more supported in a role before. You could probably get more money elsewhere, but I found out that money is not everything, the way you are treated is more important than pay. At GBA I feel respected as my work often gets praise, even though I don't feel like I done anything outside my normal duties.

Pros

Very receptive to new ideas and ways of working

Cons

nothing so far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GBA SERVICES. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement