GD WOODWORKING LTD

GD WOODWORKING LTD Employee Reviews

United Kingdom7 reviews

Insights into GD WOODWORKING LTD

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals

Worst place to work

Avoid at all costs massive turnover of staff no idea of man management owner paranoid about how much you earn timed to the minute on breaks bonus rate taken off

Pros

None at all

Cons

No man management

Let me shed some light.

First off, some of these reviews are unfair. I worked there from 10th February 2017 until mid-August 2018, I completed my apprenticeship here and learnt a lot about working in a office. Yes, you are expected to do overtime but mostly because the company is busy, which means your job is secure, I can’t speak for business right now but when I was there, people were more than happy to work overtime and the wage you got each week reflected this. You walk away with a very decent wage and there was never a problem with it. As for the MD being in control, also true but that’s his business. Nothing gets done without his say-so but if he didn’t have a hand in things, nothing would get done properly, you all might think that him getting involved is a bad thing but when you want something to succeed, you have a game plan of how to achieve that. It’s exactly the same as running your own business. If you wanted to achieve a goal, you’d do everything possible to get there. It’s just the way business should be. There’s nothing worse than an owner who doesn’t take pride in what he does. I left on bad and bitter terms, and I deeply regret doing so, and I’d relish the opportunity to work there again, now that I’ve matured and seen how bad jobs can get, I wouldn’t say it’s a miracle if you get a job there but it’s a lot better than some jobs out there. It’s stable and secure and pays a wage, as long as you have the same game plan as the MD, which is outlined in your interview, this is a fantastic place to work.

Pros

Family run, hands on management, good training

Cons

Sometimes days can be long but you’re always busy.

Wouldnt recommend

They only care about how many hours u do. EVERY week u have 2 do more than 48 hours. Lads here r sound but managers r clueless. Dont leave a gd job 2 work here.

Fantastic Company

GD WOODWORKING a fantastic family run business that gives me the security of a wage every week of the year! I would recommend working here to anybody that wants guaranteed income each week also! The only downside is that on Sundays it’s closed so I have to wait until Monday to come back

Great if you have no life

I was given 2 days training then was expected to earn bonus straight away and agree to so much over time. I went home at break and never came back. I work to live, not the other way around.

Pros

Easy to get to

Cons

Hours

28 August 2019
Thank for the 'accurate' review. As a Director of this company no one is given 2 days training & expected to earn bonus straight away it is ridiculous to make such a naive comment. Many employees take a number of weeks & even months to start earning just a little bonus, others earn in there first week. We offer sociable overtime that would have been explained to you at interview. Walking out on your job at break time.... we are disappointed to lose such a committed & dedicated employee!

Worst firm ever

I left within 2 weeks. Horrible place to work. Your expected to work every hour under the sun. What the owner says goes, nobody says different. The next manager down is his son. Then you have his daughter who is the only person in HR. So if you have any problem you are screwed basically.

15 August 2019
Thanks for the review! It is incorrect that you are 'expected to work every hour under the sun', we offer sociable overtime, which all the 100+ employees who work here do to maximise their earnings. You were informed at your interview of the hours & told not to take the role if you didn't want to work overtime. You are correct however about our structure, we have an 'owner' he is the MD & yes what he says goes because he is the 'owner' & he is ultimately responsible for every employee & everything that happens here. We are also very proud to be a family business, its personal & our customers appreciate this. I am not sure what you were 'screwed' about, as apparently you were only here 2 weeks & left through choice? However again thanks for the review, but this isnt really a constructive review, in summary yes we are family business & yes we offer overtime, does this make us a 1 star rated company….i don’t think so!!!

Avoid this place!

A company stuck in the past. Really poor management. Health and safety is none existent. Huge turn around in staff, they interview and set people on weekly because people leave often. The week I started one guy climbed out of the toilet window on his first day never to return. You are expected to live there and there is a pressure put on you immediately to work more than 50 hours a week and they will get you to sign a waiver on induction. The team leader/supervisors litterally have to put 4 weeks notice in if they want a saturday off. You get 2 days training on the job and it's either sink or swim. Overall I would not recommend his place unless you are desperately seeking work.

Pros

Cons

Really long hours. Poor management

15 August 2019
Thanks for the review! You haven't left your name but as you are a CNC operator & have left this review on 1.8.19 I suspect you were dismissed for gross misconduct. I am unsure why you have left such a negative review as only the day previous & many occasions recently leading up to your dismissal you informed our MD how much you loved working here & what a fantastic place it was to work. However I will respond to your comments: Stuck in the past/Management & H & S - We have a fantastic workshop with the latest machinery to make our product, strong management & if we had non existent H & S in this environment we wouldn't get very far!!How funny that someone climbed out of the toilet window, I have no idea who you are referring to, but why didn't they just use the door, were we employing James Bond & we didn't realise!!!Yes Supervisors need to inform higher management in advance if they wont be working Saturday, why....because we need to ensure we have enough Supervision for staff, otherwise the H & S of our employees would be put at risk & our Supervisors are also rewarded financially for their efforts. You aren't a Supervisor though so why does this bother you. You signed a waiver at induction as this is the law if you are working plus 48 hours, this was in your first hour of employment, so just don't sign it & say its not for you? You were informed of the sociable overtime at your interview & told not to take the job if you didn't want to maximise your earnings here. However as the 100+ employees who work here do want to work overtime & maximise their potential earnings, -

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GD WOODWORKING LTD. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.1