GDS Group

GDS Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews

A genuinely exciting company that puts opportunity at the heart of everything it does.

Featured review

GDS Group selected this as a representative review
Having recently re-joined GDS in November 2020 (previous at the company from 2010-2018), I've seen the business evolve and accelerate its success over time. From its people to its products, GDS Group is a company that champions growth and opportunity for all. Having started my career as an Editor and then Presenter, I moved across for formalise and lead a new Client Services Division – and then, upon my return – lead a new product to market. Today, I'm the Group's Creative Director. None of this would have been possible without GDS harnessing my potential and coaching me towards new and challenging career opportunities. The company's working culture reflects this: collaboration and an openness to opinion affords employees and colleagues with room to grow – both themselves and the efficacy of the teams they work with. From the individual to the department, we celebrate the wins and decompress the losses together. Easy to say and hard to do, it's what keeps our employee experience strong.The hardest part of the job? Keeping up with people's ideas...there's so many of them! As Creative Director, part of my job is to distill our message into coherent, exciting and impactful communications. That doesn't start in isolation – is begins and ends with our people and purpose.

Pros

Team day outs, truly exciting products to be proud of, contagiously motivating colleagues

Cons

Very fast paced; may not suit some approaches

11 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave this great review. We value you sharing your insights and experience. It certainly is a fast paced environment, you are certainly an integral part of this exciting journey.

Exciting, fast-paced company to work for with loads of opportunity for growth

Since joining the company mid-pandemic, I have been promoted and have found myself to feel truly valued at GDS. I have high job satisfaction and really enjoy my day to day work. It is a face paced sales environment, but working on the operations side of the business, I can see all the different departments coming together to create and deliver fantastic events for sponsors and delegates. The managers have been supportive of me and my team, and I am excited to see where the future takes me!

Pros

Flexible hours (EU shift of US shift)

Cons

Hours can be late if working a live event

16 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Also thank you for all the hard work you have put in over the last year. With your positive attitude I am sure you have a great future ahead. :)

Insights into GDS Group

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Great job, great people, great company!

I started at GDS over 4 years ago and worked in multiple teams and departments and can honestly say I have enjoyed my time here more than any other place I've worked.The support from management and colleagues has been great and I've progressed more in my career than I thought I would have in this time.The people you get to work with and eventually become friends with are second to none and I have had the pleasure of learning from some of the best people. Even more, I've always felt my opinion/suggestions are valued and listened to.Just like anywhere, things might not always go the way its expected but what is different is that help is always around the corner if you ask for it.Also doesn't hurt that the location is great

Pros

The parties to celebrate hitting targets are great!

Cons

The peak of events season is tough and there is a lot expected from you

13 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to review GDS, so great to hear your positive feedback and that you are feeling supported and fulfilled in your role. It certainly does get busy in events and we understand there is a lot expected, we really value all the hard work and the extra time you have put in over the last four years. :) Many thanks

Don't even bother it's a joke.

CEO doesn't even know what he is talking about, managers are idiots and you will be given a false sense of security.Just use it as a job to look for another job if you can bare it.Training? if that's what you call it.Generous uncapped commission structure??????Exciting and fun work environment??????This place is a joke and don't be fooled in to thinking there is job opportunities New York, Miami & Kosovo.More like Scunthorpe.

13 May 2022
Thanks for your review, I am sorry to hear GDS wasn't a good fit for you, sales can be a demanding environment. I would be really interested in discussing your points,, to gain a further understanding, please email HR@gdsgroup.com. Wishing you all the best with future ventures.

Fun Active Workplace - full of growth

In my time at GDS the business has grown lots and is really changing. Through the pandemic management has shifted the business to be digital first and we grew loads in 2021. I enjoy my team and while I work super hard, I'm also well rewarded for my success. I feel like training is good, and looking forward to our summer party. Would like more opportunities to learn from colleagues in other global offices.

Pros

Fun team and culture, full of growth and opportunity to learn more

Cons

High growth - is fast paced, if you don't like working at pace its not for you

11 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It has been an exciting time for the business and so pleased you are enjoying being part of it. I take note of your feedback of gaining opportunities from global colleagues. Great review, thanks for sharing.

Quite Simply The Best!

I used to talk about great performance culture, realistically I didn't know what that was until I joined GDS! This is a business where you can learn, develop and build huge success in a professional career. A wonderful performance culture that changes the lives of so many whilst at the same time giving back to local community and charities in many different formats. A truly amazing place to work and be a part of.

Pros

Training, people, culture, performance related pay

11 May 2022
Thanks for your review and lovely comments!We have been fortunate to work with some great charities, helping bringing our community together, planning fun events and fundraising as a team.

Focused, fast-paced, and fulfilling

The company has undergone an incredibly exciting transformation over the last 2 years that has put it on a trajectory to continue to achieve amazing things for our people and our clients. The opportunities for all staff and their contributions have been by the far the most rewarding part. The investment in new technologies and products to deliver stakeholder value have really accelerated and made it an even more rewarding place to work.

11 May 2022
Thanks for taking the time to review GDS Group.We certainly have gone through an amazing transformation over the last two years, thanks for being part of the journey, the journey continues with lots of exciting new products on the horizon this year.

Great training and people

When I joined I had four requirements; I wanted a company where I could grow my career quickly, a role where I would be rewarded financially, an international brand with opportunities abroad and an employer that would continuously development my skills. I have enjoyed all those things here; the sales training is excellent, and the people and ambition of the company are what keeps me here.# You are given a lot of responsibility and with that comes a certain amount of pressure. Nothing anyone used to a sales environment or even a sports background will find surprising.

11 May 2022
Thanks for your review, great to hear we are aligned with your goals and aspirations. It is fast paced, with plenty of room to progress quickly. Wishing you all the best with your journey.

Avoid at all costs

It's a trap for young naive graduates, allured by the impressive salary and 'brilliant' work culture they portray. The company is run by inexperienced, young individuals who happen to have made a few deals in their time at GDS Group, therefore automatically get put on a pedestal for their ability to lie their way through the company. The company is run on deceit, whether that's to their paying customers, management or bottom of the pile employees. This place deteriorates your mental health and don't accept mental health as a genuine issue. They have mass firings, like you're on the X Factor and they expect you to give your life and soul by working ridiculous hours, in order for senior management to thrive off the monetary success which others put in the graft for. If the salary seems too good to be true, then it is. Opt for a job that cares about their employees, pays less and the long-term progression is better. Don't fall into this trap, as the impact of working here is only negative. Look up a few of their employees and you'll see they've been promoted and demoted a million times, maybe even fired in the process. Have a look at their old CEO for one.

OKay

Some managers make the job really good, wheras others limit it. Could be a better working environment overall . Was getting paid less than new starters with less experience than me. Didnt really make much sense, which actually in a way sums up the company direction.

Great start but went downhill.

I have very mixed feelings about GDS, the floor and line managers are terrific. A really good atmosphere with nothing but nice things to say about the majority of people in the office. Delegate Acquisition is an easy pitch but success is purely based on luck/harassment. A lot of the work is largely immoral and staff are encouraged to borderline harrass delegates in the attempt to get them on the phone. Unrealistic KPI's are pushed and under performance is publicised in order to put more pressure on staff. Senior management is poor and widely inexperienced with zero focus on retaining staff or employee wellbeing. A clear lack of transparency within the business processes with profit being the only objective of the business. Quite poor facilities and IT systems but good location. No flexibility in working hours or option to work from home.

Terribly managed + negative work environment

I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody who wants to stay sane. Not only is it terribly managed, but GDS treats their staff like they are just a number in the system. Don't let them fool you with the fancy job advertisement as this is merely a telesales role. KPIs are incredibly important for any sales role, although this company is incredibly unrealistic with what they expect each person to achieve when all it really takes is LUCK (not talent!). Unfortunately, those in charge don't have the qualities to manage teams - which all in all will ensure the downfall of the departments. Adding to this, the pod leaders make it a hostile environment to work in on a daily basis. All in all, my time at GDS Group taught me that it is the most toxic company to work for in Bristol. Stay well clear! (Little tip: Be sensitive about personal issues or it will only keep pushing people to quit!)

Great business!

I have been working for GDS for just under three years. I would have no problem recommending GDS to anybody who is looking for an exciting and rewarding career. The management team work tirelessly to hire, induct, train and retain the best talent in the market with the priority being to further develop and upskill all employees. Although you are working towards personal targets you are still very much part of a team, and you support each other to reach the end goal. Targets are clear; strong direction, support and autonomy is given to help everyone achieve those targets. Fantastic earning potential. No flexible hours or work-from-home option (understandable with sales roles). Minimal company benefits.

Best job so far

The company is rapidly growing and for that reason anything is possible you can make your own opportunities. If you are struggling support is readily available. Solid network of clients in the market and the chance to meet clients at events. Fun culture, lots of engagement with different teams.

Pros

Training

Smokescreen

confused messages from senior management, questionable business plan, worst 8 weeks of my life, prospect ownership debates, would rather kill puppies 9-5 than work their again

Pros

decent basic

Cons

Lead gen was paper, then computer, then paper, then computer, prospecting rules lacking clarity, lack of honesty in sell, recruiter lied completely about sales process and lead gen (probably from not knowing)

24 June 2019
Dear Smokescreen On behalf of the organisation, we are sorry you feel this way. As we parted ways due to your sudden un-communicated absence from work, it’s a shame to see a negative review. It's disappointing that we didn’t have the opportunity to discuss things with you one to one as we would normally bring to the surface any issues around underperformance and the support required thereafter to get on the right track (as we do for all employees). As you know the entire senior team here at GDS is committed to a simple straightforward sales process.This was the core message of your training week and we feel not only is there is no dishonesty in this process, it is in fact the most transparent and straightforward way in which to communicate the value we deliver – both internally and externally. From your training group we have 4 BDE's who are building great careers for themselves and getting the support from management each and everyday. We do wish you genuinely good luck with you future endeavours, and lament that GDS wasn’t the right fit for you. Tanya Thomas

Fast paced with some really talented people"

-Healthy respect for employees -Smart, dedicated people -Good bonus schemes if you perform well -Some good travel opportunities -Most co-workers are friendly -No real politics and most career advancement is based on merit -Many senior managers have been there a long time -Not flexible towards working hours

24 June 2019
Thank you for this balanced review. Hope you're enjoying new role. Tanya

opportunities for travel - fun place to work

The purpose of the role was to provide sponsors with a seamless client journey from onboarding through to post-event reviews. GDs provides a great opportunity to learn about disruptive technologies, how to communicate with C-level executives and sales training.

Pros

plenty of staff nights out and international travel

Cons

high staff turnover and ever changing processes

Great Internal opportunities for progression

I started with GDS in the delegate acquisition team and now have almost been here for 2 years. Managers and Directors at GDS Group have always encouraged me to progress to higher level roles within the business. Fantastic team support and overall great working environment.I don't currently have any constructive criticism to offer, and genuinely feel that "you get out what you put in". I feel that GDS is an environment where highly motivated self-starters are given the best opportunity to flourish, and am hopeful that I am at the start of a long and successful career!

Overall good place to work

- Friendly co-workers. - Central location. - Industry-leading products. - Potential to make a lot of money. - Quick career advancement. - High stress, lots of politics.

Senior Sales Consultant

Great office environments with organic growth, good working hours and superb people with a wealth of expertise. Bonuses in recognition for exceeding job expectations. Performance reviews need to be more frequent. Although day to day guidance and support is given by leaders and the VP these conversations focus on immediate tasks not long-term goals and objectives.

Standard

Salary not enough to keep high performers - unless you have been there 8 years plus etc I had opportunity to move up the ladder but on the other hand GDS did want to improve salary etc Salary is the main reason i am looking elsewhere.

Pros

good people

Cons

commission has now changed and given top performers a pay cut not increase

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GDS Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement