Gear4Music

Gear4Music Employee Reviews

I was laid off from this job after being there 6months but yet they took on people who had been there 3months and less qualified than myself as I had forklift license and trained in more areas management swore at workers
Cons
Management treat and speak to workers with no respect at all
I've loved working at Gear4Music - Everyone in the warehouse is so friendly, upbeat and happy to help you with anything. The work itself is easy to pick up and you're made to feel part of the team from day one. The managers are so helpful even when they're busy, really easy to get on with and don't belittle you. Theres always music on, a great atmosphere and free tea and coffee :)
This job isn't a dream job and it can be very stressful at time however there is orerall a very good team overall in the warehouse now and the management do what they can to help all there members of staff plus the more experienced staff are always willing to help out the newbies
Pros
Great team of people
Cons
I can't really think of any
I love working for Gear4music. My direct line managers are very helpful, not all of them, but I guess it’s not sunshine and rainbows everywhere. The best thing about this job are the people I work with. I have made a lot of friends at Gear4music and the overall vibe is just great and really friendly. I know that some of my colleagues have issues with their managers or other areas but I have experienced that the company keeps developing and improving what they can offer to their employees. Sadly the salary is lower than what most people would expect and the job can get a little stressful. However the company has a mental health 24/7 helpline now and the management received training to help employees with mental health issues like stress, depression or anxiety. I wished they could be a little more flexible regarding working hours, but its just a 9-5 job - it is what it is and you know what you sign up for. All in all I would happily recommend Gear4music to my friends.
Pros
Friendly and open environment, cantine with delicious food, mental health support, management is constantly improving
Cons
Working hours not flexible
By far the best of working here are the guys and gals in the canteen - they produce some of the finest food you could ask for. Honestly, they are one of the only reasons I go to work. The only downside with the canteen is that the food can get a little expensive, and considering most employees are on less than the living wage, it becomes an issue.Another positive is the shared agreement that the company treats you like trash. And I mean actual trash. This leads to excellent and sickening banter in the office, most of which revolves around trying to get out of the company, or accepting that you’re so dead inside that you’re past the point of no return. Something Gear loves to see.I’m sure you’ll have read the majority of old reviews by now and start to think “surely they’ve fixed most of these issues by now”. Well, I’m here to inform you that they’ve not.I feel the majority of Gear’s issues stem from disgustingly low pay. You will be promised a job of meaning and authority, but it means nothing if you can barely pay the bills. You can maybe dream of asking for the national living wage, but you’ll be told no. Without explanation. Even after you finish your six month probation period (yes, you read that correctly), you won’t get anything extra. When it comes to the Christmas period and they flaunt around saying how much money they’ve made, you won’t get any extra. And even when it comes to annual pay reviews, your rise will either be non-existent (they can quite happily give you a piece of paper with “Increase = £0” on) or under-inflation. If you’re “lucky” enough to get - more...
If you want me to be frank there were some lovely people at gear 4 music. but honestly cannot stand the manager i had in charge of us. in my honest opinion it felt like a novel of 1984 where all the cleaners were just constantly watched over. and the manager just had no idea what he was on about. and for ages he would flip flop on what he wanted us to do. there is literally no moral in the staff what so ever. i honestly got laid off because of wanting more full time staff. and im gonna be honest it was a relief for me cause it took a huge toll on my mental health. Too anyone wanting to apply for a job here... dont. they treat you like absolute garbage.
Pros
Free Tea and coffee.
Cons
Management are incompitent and not very nice.
I work in HR so my review may be slightly biased, however it is my intention to provide my honest and genuine feedback. I have worked for the Company for 5 years now. When I first joined I was struck by how friendly, welcoming and down-to-earth all the managers and colleagues are. For anyone that is a budding musician the staff discount is very attractive, also the opportunity to work alongside people that share a passion for music – when the live music scene is up & running people often gig together in bands and go to watch their friends perform. This year as a HR function we have invested in Mental Health First Aid training for 10 managers across our UK sites, we have also launched a new health & wellbeing App which allows people access to a wide range of support resources 24/7 wherever they are, including telephone support and counselling. We will continue to do more to support the mental health & wellbeing of all our employees. I am particularly proud of and thankful to all the people who have worked extremely hard to keep our business operational during the pandemic, including warehouse and office staff who continued to support the business. I feel very fortunate to be part of a business that is continuing to grow and recruit, when many are facing redundancies.
Pros
Staff discount, fantastic colleagues, supportive environment
Cons
Non in my opinion
keep yourself to yourself, stay out of work drama. Have a keen eye, keep your rates up high and come across a willing, hard working, self motivated lad. You will most likely make it past hurdle 1 (the mass sacking of temps) They’ll then spend the next few months after crimbo, slowly letting go of loose ends, one by one till they’re left with the ideal 2. If you make it past hurdle 1, don’t drop your efforts, and show them why you’re the next permanent guy they take on
Pros
Refreshments, discount, good hours, top banter
Cons
Big brother style management, poor communication
Fantastic office facilities, large, modern and spacious. Coffee machines and water coolers on every floor. Lockers for your personal belongings and places to sit and relax during your break, including a room with a pool table. There is a great little café serving everything from bacon butties, wraps to salads and fish and chips which is open all day! There has been a huge effort put into making us all feel safe during the current pandemic when returning to the offices. Gear4Music have installed face recognition to enter the building rather than finger print entry we had before and electric doors all the way through the building. You can now reach your work station without touching anything. There is a station near the entrance with hand sanitiser and face masks made available to all and the cleaners seem to be constantly wiping everything down throughout the day. I was given the option to continue working from home if I did not feel comfortable returning to the office, this meant I did not feel pressured to return before I felt happy to do so. I can honestly say Gear4Music have been supportive and flexible with me and my colleagues during recent times. I enjoy working here, I like the people I work with and the positive friendly environment. There are opportunities to progress within your career if that is what you want.
Pros
Free Flu Jab, Free Eye test, On site Cafe, Modern Offices, Free Parking
This company are a breath of fresh air compared to the last company i worked for. All staff and managers are really friendly. It's a really relaxed atmosphere. They all look out for one another. The managers are firm but fair. if you work hard you are recognised. If you don't work hard then the managers will give you the relevant feedback to help you improve. They always try to accommodate requests wherever possible even at the last minute. They understand when you have gigs on and want to leave early. There are targets but they aren't unachievable. & they don't hit you with a stick if you don't reach the targets, as long as your trying to that's all that matters. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
Fun, Fast paced, nice people
Cons
There are none
Worked like a dog for them, was told that I was progressing really well by senior staff and then sacked out of the blue for “not working hard enough” and daring to go home at my finish time. Management a joke, all in it for themselves. Staff that are still there are overworked. Massive resource issues, expecting to do 4 people’s work in one role. The sell you the world, don’t fall for any of it, it’s lies.
Pros
Cons
The whole company.
The stand out feature of G4M has to be it's people. Having not been there a great length of time I've been made to feel extremely welcome and as one of the family.G4M is a high growth, fast paced and dynamic place to work. While there is stiff competition for progression, a good number of those in "heads of" roles and up to director level started at the ground floor in entry level positions within our customer services/warehouse teams. The company despite having 17 years of trading experience feels young and energetic - in other words, feels as though there is enormous potential to grow still, not from just a £££ perspective but as a company, culture and employee offering.Entitlement won't get you anywhere, hard work on the other hand certainly will and I can attest to that!Our senior leadership team have been decisive during an extremely challenging global crisis. This in turn has kept hundreds of people in a job with all of the stops pulled to ensure staff safety and financial support throughout.Feeling extremely grateful and excited for the future!
Pros
Great people, meritocratic, fast paced.
Cons
Could encourage more staff comms & events (post COVID of course)
Don’t waste your time. The training is very basic and after 1 week they expect you to crack on with the job and moan when you start getting things wrong that you’ve not been trained on. Salary isn’t a salary it’s actually a hourly rate it’s okay but not living wage and they offer over time but they take forever to pay you (you have to chase them to correct the wage) I found it a very clique atmosphere, if the face doesn’t fit your out or they’ll treat you like rubbish until you leave. I would say my advice for the company would be look into mental health training to support your staffs wellbeing, provide actual training and less managers, too many cooks and all that. Everyone that works higher up than the advisors and admin teams are all on power trips. Wouldn’t recommend, there’s better call centre/office jobs around, would definitely look around first before considering this place!
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
Management, wage and no progression
Ok place to work. Colleagues great. Cheap musical instruments. I really don’t want to say anymore about this local firm as I think it will be wrong for me to do so.
The people who I worked with where very nice and friendly. If you needed help someone was always there to give you that help. There was opportunities to work in other areas of the warehouse as well.
It is a long day. Work without complaining and it will be ok. Workplace culture is a little tense. The other agents are great. Christmas is the most difficult time.
I have never worked for such a badly run company. The managers don’t know what they’re doing, the department doesn’t have any direction and if you complain to Hr, they are hardly ever there and when they are, they won’t help you. The pay is awful and benefits are too. It is a shame.
Long drive for me but otherwise decent. Management were good. Nothing bad to say about em. Just too far to drive (3 hrs a day return journey). Good luck to em.
Absolute joke of a place to work, Corrupt management, zero support, Terrible wages, power drunk line managers, If your face doesn’t fit you will be dismissed regardless of your ability and knowledge. AVOID!!!
They refused to train me even tho I was told there was going to be 2 weeks of training. The management is terrible. One of the managers was extremely sexist and the rest were just awful. Don’t work here!
I am sad to have to write this, considering I started working for this company with high aspirations and a willingness to make a difference with long career prospects in mind. Unfortunately, this hasn’t been the case for myself, or in fact anyone starting a job here, as many talented staff members have come and gone during my employment. The pay is not even close to being reflective of the workload or expected effort, with no hope of improvement if not negotiated at interview stage, a position stated plainly to me in a review meeting on the subject. There is little to no respect for staff from the majority of management who are either inept, or disinterested without exception, as they are woefully unqualified for their positions. There is virtually no hope of upward progression, regardless of how well you perform. The entire company functions based on a model which has not been altered since its inception, despite its exponential growth. Any attempts to vocalise concerns, change the status quo, and point out serious issues are shot down, ignored, and more often than not, dismissed as a symptom of deliberate disobedience with the intent to cause trouble, regardless of consensus or merit. Working in the customer service department consists of long hours, stressful but monotonous tasks, limited rewards, and the prospect of rarely being allowed time off unless you are fortunate enough to be a personal favourite of those in charge. The one positive aspect is the wonderful colleagues who share a love of music and work hard to keep positive in such a horrible environment. - more...
  1. Employee reviews