Gist
Happiness score is 47 out of 100

Gist Employee Reviews

Experienced many changes over the years...

Gist was a good employer to me, I have seen many many changes throughout my employment with them. Career progression can be good, internal job offers and courses, etc. They fast track university graduates. Many managers are great colleagues, however many are not! Stay true to yourself is the best advice I can give anyone contemplating a job application with Gist and don’t be moulded into someone they want you to be. Good luck!

Pros

Overtime offered freely

Cons

Welfare not given priority

Not fair, disrespectfull, very hard job, toxic and drug company

Toxic disrespectfull people very hard job cold and Very noisy, big haos, no one give me Property support and opportunity, managers laying and lazy

nice and easy job

This job is easy and straightforward in my opinion, there is only stress when you hit a time limit or traffic as a driver. or if someone in a different store aren't concerned about your time limit or issues either, in the transport office its very easy to talk to managers about extra days and hours they're all very helpful and easy to get along with in my 5 years working here I've never encountered a reason to change my opinion on them.

Pros

friendly team

Cons

pay

Hgv 2 driver

Two nights training, then on your own . I completed a 15 hour shift , management could not care less all they were interested in was did I complete the round . Their excuse was “we’re short of drivers “. When I told them I would not be back, again could not careless. Avoid at all cost .

Pros

New wagons

Cons

Hours and management

Very poor

Same model as Amazon, low eage, poor work condition and ego power trippy managment. Hi staff turn over as if you speak out you are out the door, avoid unless you are desperate!!!!

Pros

Cheap warm food on site

Cons

Poor at every apart from cheap warm food.

16 August 2021
Thank you for your comment. I can confirm that salaries have recently been reviewed to ensure that we remain competitive and in the top quartile within our industry and location. We aim to provide a range of benefits including an onsite canteen, free parking, health and well-being benefits, retail discounts , overtime if required and great Pension etc I am sorry that this was not the role for you.

Just had a pay Rise! Haven't been here long but good so far

Lots of work and lots of new starters but hadn't joined long and already got a pay rise.If you are prepared to work hard and in a chilly environment it's great. Hours fit around my home life. I work some weekends but not all. Opportunity to do more if I want to like becoming a trainer or first aider

Pros

Canteen

Cons

No additional smoking breaks

Never ever again

This is hard job , paid little working in chill then they sent you to ambient. Chaos overall, poor organisation of job, not well qualified management, good job for part timers maybe. Ridiculous targets to be picked, to get a bonus usually not to achieve. I can’t see no pros there

Pros

Cons

Cold, poor management, no training

Never Again.

Nothing of note to be said that makes Gist look good, or even morally decent. If you asked me again, if I had a choice between working for them, or working in the Green Zone; I'd already be on the plane. Hours, awful. Treatment, awful. Salary, beyond awful. Management? Don't even. Do yourself a favour and keep on looking.

Pros

Free Christmas dinner

Cons

Everything else you can think of.

Worst warehouse experience

Some of the managers think they’re above everyone else and are very degrading towards other employees. Not all the warehouse is bad there are still good people you will meet within the business but as a whole I would not recommend to anyone.

Pros

Meeting other people

9 August 2021
We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience within our warehouse and that you didn’t feel you could raise this issue at the time of your employment. We always strive to be a diverse and inclusive employer that provides a good colleague experience. If you could contact us to discuss this further we would be happy to investigate your complaint in further detail.

Do not work here, you will regret it!

Badly planned routes delivering to 15 or 20 stores, handballing heavy goods in cages that are poorly maintained and heavy milk dollies. Mostly London drops planned as 12 hour shifts that will take you 13/14 hours but only paid for 12 hours as its salary paid. Mangers and office staff are all incompetent at best or just don't care, most of them don't have a driving licence or a brain. Site safety is non-existent and risk assessments aren’t worth the paper there written on.THERE IS NOTHING ENJOYABLE ABOUT WORKING HERE!

Pros

new vehicles (but there raged the f*** out of and riddled with defects)

Cons

Being expected to work for free

6 August 2021
Thank you for your feedback. The welfare and safety of each employee is at the core of what we do and every individual in our business has a part to play. Safety is the responsibility of us all. The routes are planned under 11 hours to allow for unexpected issues out on route. The average hours are under 11 hours however on occasion a shift will exceed 12 hours due to condition on the road network. We remain committed to the development of our team; such as drivers with schemes such as ‘Warehouse 2 Wheels’ and external training for our management team.

Busy place

Could be good place to work if had proper planning and managers instead of sumbody can work a keyboard then know the driving better than the driver telling you how to do it, also advertising wrong pay rate its £16 not £16.50, get paid less than other depots for same job

Pros

Cons

Work/life poor office staff n planning

Lovely employees. Not paid.

Was never paid so I walked out. Environment isn't worth fighting for. I loved my trainer and the staff but overall I feel let down and angry. Absolute joke.

Pros

Staff

Cons

Everything else.

A place lost in time

How this place dose not have a suicide rate only god knows everything thing the management tell you is nothing but lies .the most depressing place on the face of this planet STAY WELL CLEAR OF GIST BARNSLEY

Pros

Home time

Cons

Lies followed by more lies

9 August 2021
Thank you for your feedback we welcome all comments to enable us to ensure we provide a safe and welcoming place to work.We pride ourselves on our open and transparent communication on site, if you feel this hasn’t happened then please feel free to speak to a member of the Leadership team who will try to help work through any issues with you.

Good company to work for

I have been working for Gist for 3 years.I have been a HGV diver for 27 years and this has been the best company I have worked for,its also the easiest work I have ever had as a driver.The work is clean,the vehicles are well maintained and the staff get trained for the job,There are always staff to help if you have any issues,Yes its true most of the office staff have never been drivers,but they will listen if you offer advice.Planning of routes can sometimes be a bit hit and miss,but if you go out and give it your best shot,then thats all they ask,just dont have a give up before you start attitutde.Gist have a good pension scheme open to all Gist employees.A standard week is 5 shifts which include 1 weekend day,i.e Sun - Thur. Anyone that ever says working at Gist is hard work has obviously never worked for a general haulage company,roping,sheeting,and out 4 nights a week.The management are friendly and approachable,and are on a first name basis with everyone,Its true some other jobs pay more,but be warned you will work hard for it,Overall Gist is a good, friendly company with easy clean work,and the pay is very good for the type work

Pros

Clean work, well maintained fleet, approachable managent with a flexible attitude.

Cons

Planning could be better

Stressfull place with extreme long hours

Very, extremely poor management, planning does not match reality at all, loads of company policies who doesn t make any sense loads of paperworks not for your safety just for them to be covered. The job itself is very easy can t complain at all but some people makes your life really hard.

Pros

Easy job

Cons

Poor management, only late starts

Fun workplace

Great warehouse ,nice place where you can work and have a friendly relationship with everyone.the most enjoyable part of the job is when you work in a group

5 August 2021
Thank you for your comments. We are proud of the team working ethic we have in Hemel

Slow and boring

Most of the time there is no job and u just have to go around the warehouse and try to find something to entertain you. And when they have a job they always put you where it’s good for them, the manager don’t care about anything

5 August 2021
Thank you for your comment. We are in an extremely busy and fast paced environment requiring hard work and will of course prioritise and allocate jobs accordingly. Our colleagues well-being is of utmost importance to us and we have a range of facilities to support in a number of ways. I am sorry the job was not for you.

Avoid.

Avoid simple It's an awful institution U get paid less than the full time people for working so much harder.Everyone is treated so differently There are obvious favourites

Pros

Home time

Cons

Start time

9 August 2021
Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. However I can confirm that we treat our colleagues consistently and fairly and all of our colleagues are paid the same hourly rate regardless of if they are working full time or part time. In addition we pay additional premiums for working nights, overtime and/or weekends.

Horrible place to work

Please don't bother working here it really is the worst warehouse in Hertfordshire the staff turnover is really high! physically solid job loading and unloading lorries all day they work every drop of sweat out of you and the managers don’t care about employees and speak to you like dirt avoid this place at all costs nasty place where only desperate foreigners work

Pros

Uniform provided

5 August 2021
We are extremely proud to have an extremely diverse team of both colleagues and Managers who all work hard to make our site a great place to work. It is a physically demanding job and the rates of pay are amongst the highest in the area recognising this fact.

Managers don’t know what they are doing, incompetent and unprofessional blaming the workers for all their short comings

Mangers lie to new employees telling them only one weekend shift, then making them work both days every weekend, mangers are disrespectful to drivers, thinking they are more intelligent than drivers which causes animosity.New contracts being forced on drivers shortly, resulting in approximately 50% of drivers forced to leave.

Pros

You can run rings around the incompetent managers

Cons

Lots of unsocial working which will not be a benefit financially any more due to new contracts

9 August 2021
Thank you for your comments. Rotas are typically fixed eg Tues to Sat and we try to ensure that they are fair and equitable. The shifts are explained at interview to avoid confusion. We do currently have vacancies, as our business grows, and are looking for class 1 drivers with industry leading welcome and retention bonus's but we have categorically not had 50% of drivers leave. I wonder if this was posted on an incorrect company website?

poor planning

unrealistic hours and bad planning not sure who plans it definitely not a driver someone in a office and when you need help forget it your on your own with it

Pros

getting home if you can

Cons

long hours/planning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gist. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Gist with

• Gist
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?