GKN Aerospace
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

GKN Aerospace Employee Reviews

United Kingdom87 reviews

aerospaceskillshifthighteamlearntrainingfriendly

Productive and good work culture

GKN is a great place to work with lots of very proactive work force. It really makes you feel like a team effort, the work hours are flexible and management are understanding to any problems you may have

Pros

Flexible working

Cons

Can be stressful

Now History

This was a great place to work for so many but ended with a whimper as all places do when they are closing. So many good memories of my 18 years at GKN Kings Norton are the people who made it a great place to be.

Insights into GKN Aerospace

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Take it as you find it

Was here 4 years as a subbie, face didn’t fit, was on first pay off with the naughty boys. Good job, nice and clean, don’t expect to break a sweat. Full of treacherous, bone idle wretches hiding behind trade unionism. Hope this helps.

O.K

Good Factory Job.However ruled in the pyramid masonic style.So agree or get lost basically and if your in the club your o.k.You will not get anywhere unless you do the right handshakes.

Would recommend to friends i just live to far from work now. Had many years of work here with some great people gained some fantastic skills that i can take to other companies like i said i just live to far away to carry on

Pros

Good people

Cons

The blame culture

Needed change is coming

Toxic culture with embedded unaccountable idealists and self serving HR now being replaced by excellent strategic and senior management. Worst time of my life but a great opportunity now. Grab it

Once a great place to work

King's Norton plant was full of amazing and dedicated shopfloor workers. Lots of life long friendships made. Unique products made for the aerospace industry. A shame that greed got the better of GKN and the Melrose asset strippers who promised the earth and then took the rug from under our feet when they closed the factory at the loss of 170 jobs.

Pros

Good working hours Great people Interesting work

Cons

Some senior management were out for themselves.

Hit and miss, sporadic training and work flow.

Hot, uncomfortable environment especially in summer, noisy to the point of struggling to hear important information. Old equipment with no safety guards. In summary, a bit of a cheese grater on the soul.

Cons

Hand to mouth work flow

Poor culture

There moto is expect more and they take everything they can. Some of the management team are bullies and the HR team protect the management.Your personal opinion doesn't matter it's there way only.Promotion is given to mostly the wrong people (face fit and friends of other managers).

Pros

Pension scheme

Cons

Everything else

Lots of change but everyone’s trying to make it work

Seems to be lots of changes and number of parts we need to build as customers change their minds. Maybe to do with Covid19.Even with all this the people are all very friendly and trying to make it work. Managers and team mates are all making it better every day. I like the lean stuff and it makes it more interesting

Pros

Lean, team mates, interesting

Cons

Some changes in the customer demand

Fast paced, no procedures

… hard elbows culture. I wouldn’t recommend and I worked in different industries already. For an aerospace company it is really shocking, no idea how they could passed ISO 9001 audit. Company pace seems to be dictated by the disconnected logistics department and shop floor operators with no drive or responsibilities for the basics you would expect. Unless the top managers overhaul this not sure what the future holds = it’s grim.

Pros

Free Friday every other week

Cons

Toxic management, Blame culture

Overall a good experience for a student like myself.

It was enjoyable and interesting to learn new skills. The company is extremely diverse not just culturally but also with the job positions available. During my week there I was shown most of the job positions and what takes place in them.

An average place of work.

A good work life balance, good management staff. A lack of enthusiasm within the HR staff but very lively apprentices and apprentice staff. Overall a good work place.

Pros

Good lunch selection, good apprenticeship opportunities.

Cons

Unenthusiastic staff.

GKN Aerospace - Luton

I've been at the business for 8 years, and although it's had it's ups and downs it is probably the best place I've ever worked. Our managers are considerate and provide leave when needed, sometimes at very short notice, and are nothing but supportive. There is always a bit of give and take with the above, sometimes the business needs you for some overtime for similar reasons, sometimes too at short-notice. However, to be fair any company who is willing to be there when I need help I would be more than happy to do so. Training isn't a strong side in my department but I do feel that is changing, however this does vary from department to department... and is more down to the manager simply not arranging it than the business being unwilling to pay. If I had any regrets it's that I hadn't started here sooner and progressed a little further in the business. That's my 2 pence worth.

Pros

supportive, good hours, overtime, hours fit in with childcare.

Cons

minor: training/certification

Not great

where to start....management is poor, training is adhoc, contractors suffer to ensure perms are looked after....not progression and not great to work within on a day to day basis

great place to work and achieve your targets

during my time at gkn aerospace i gained a number of skills and became confident in using machinery on a daily basis. i gained licenses for crane and automated guided vehicles and became a fire marshal. i had taken training to understand more about the process and why they use composite materials and not metallic's. they was great demand for the product to be at a high standard but also produced efficiently meaning there are targets to achieve each month. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to follow the process from start to finish seeing it go out the door knowing a lot of your hard work was in that part.

Pros

good pay

Cons

Great pay but no job security

I enjoyed working at GKN, i worked a 4 on 4 off shift, the pay was fantastic, but the only way to work there was through an agency, as sub contractors we were told we would be taken on year after year but it never happened, after 4 years i needed job security and left, a good move as they got rid 400 sub contractors 6 months later, so a lot of the things we were told was simply lies, glad i left before being pushed.

Horrible place to work

Gkn took over our department in filton a few years ago, we used to be Airbus & were treated very well. Airbus were a fabulous company to work for, you felt like you were rewarded & they appreciated you. Gkn are nothing like airbus, if you want to be treated or spoke to like a child then come & work for Gkn.

Cons

Constantly on your back, very bad atmosphere

Great people but poor management

While contracting at GKN Aerospace, I experienced a lot of things. Mainly politics was at forefront of the management decisions . However, a great bunch of people work within the business and made a lot of friends while working there.

Pros

Great Environment and good people

Cons

Long working hours and not enough resourcing

Productive, skilled

Pleasant place to work.good pay good team, good location only temporary contracts and no job security for new employees, clean and safe with good shift pattern

Pros

Pay

Cons

Contract

Workplace full of bully

Worked here for 3 years now, From management to shop floor workers there all take the p*** out of you and talk to you like your nothing and tell you if you dont do what there ask you will lose your job. You won't get any training on any job there. Inspections have there favourites so good luck getting your though to the next step as there will never check it, if your going to work here. Good luck

Pros

Okay money

Cons

Bullys

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GKN Aerospace. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement