Glasgow Caledonian University

Glasgow Caledonian University Employee Reviews

It was fun, everyone was friendly in my work space. I felt at ease all the time and had help from my superiors. Most enjoyable part of the job was to explain the students in 1on1 as they saw you as role model.
Pros
Free Taxi's/ lunch on long shifts
Cons
hard to get shifts due to high number of students available for the required shift
Having worked there for 28 years on and off. I have noticed a real deterioration in the culture from collegiate to individualistic. The key issue for me was lack of opportunity. Working Part-time casual left you with almost no rights. I had tried to look for opportunities for development but in spite of going above and beyond for the Dept I worked in I always left feeling they felt they were doing me a favour. You had no tenure and almost zero chance of that changing. I did ask to be allowed to undertake a PhD only to be told there was no chance, no funding and you came away feeling in spite of the experience I had that I had less chance than any one off the street. There were some absolutley brilliant colleagues that I worked with over the years. However the management and hierarchy did you absolutely no favours. What a pity they failed comprehensively to understand the nature of the psychological contract.
Pros
City Centre Location, Seeing Students progress with their lives and career.
Cons
Boom or Bust working hours, Online Marking, lack of respect being shown by Managers
Useful experience, great team. Scottish institution with a campus in London. Based in the fashionable east end of London. Offering undergraduate and postgraduate programmers.
Physiotherapy student, therefore was not employed other than National Health Service placement experiences. Therefore, this section is not appropriate.
worked part time here for 13 years.... Only left because I was re-locating to England , would have been happy to retire here .... Really pleasant , helpful co-workers and staff... wages and holidays excellent...
Very friendly staff and great location. Typically sorting paperwork for 3-10 patients a day and sorting files. Learned how to deal with customers and take tips from staff. Friendly yet professional culture.
Great fun every summer with a hard working team and very friendly management. the work can be tough at times with busy spells due to pipe band championships and conferences
Everyone in the bioscience department at GCU is very friendly and helpful. It is a very enjoyable place to work and they also allow the oppertunity to get plenty of lab experience
I enjoyed working at Glasgow Caledonian University for the few months I was there and I was looking forward to being asked back to do the same job again, but it was not to be. But I would still be happy to be contacted at a later date if the situation changes.
• Maintain records of contacts, profiles, accounts and progress. • Use of dedicated system software to input information received from customer encounter. • Deliver prepared talks, reading from scripts that describe the institution and its services, in order to persuade potential students to apply to the institution. • Explain the prices, courses taught and other activities within the institution and answer questions from customers. • Telephone or write emails to respond to correspondence from customers and potential clients.
• Responsible for carrying out experiments related to the internship laboratory project • Working on laboratory skills including cell culture, QRTPCR, immunocy to chemistry, Western blotting and microscope techniques, cell-based assays
Sorry to be leaving after 28years service held a various of different roles & never faulted on any of them , Very hard working & can be left to my own devices
Cons
35 hr week
Working here is amazing. The staff and colleagues are very friendly and you very enough support to perform your research. The environment is comfortable and you feel in home even beeing foreign.
Being a tutor can be challenging, yet very rewarding at times. As everyone is different, there is an essences of flexibility in how you translate your teaching style across to your students.
Pros
Intellectually engaging / Good pay / Rewarding to help others learn and grow
Cons
Always things to do and not enough time.
Staff were very friendly. Work-life balance was very flexible. A very happy place to work. Management was always open to new ideas. Every day in the lab at GCU was different and this was good because you learned new things on a daily basis.
Great place to work which is flexible and pays well. A very diverse client base to deal with where there are various departments to work in. The university is world renowned.
worked here whilst finishing my degree at GCU. They were really flexible with hours, allowing me to fit in work with my studies. A very fun and productive workplace.
Amazing workplace culture, offering living wage and with very good communication amognst departments. Gained a lot of experience on office organisation.
Great for gaining experience as it allows you t work different age groups which develops skills in terms of being able to adjust depending on the audience you are faced with.
Good work place loads of friendly staff and good working environment enjoy the atmosphere around campus and enjoy each day in work. The buildings are nice and the campus is lovely .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough hours
Typically I would deal with legal cases from employment disputes to tenancy issues. This would involve liaising with and managing client relationships, and negotiating with opposition solicitors. I also speak to pupils and schools interested in studying law, delivering tailored 'street law' sessions as a result. I work with a team I am responsible for and answer to the Director of the Clinic and the Management Board as a whole, of which I am also a member. The hardest part of this is negotiating and often debating with opposing counsel, but being able to help clients is undoubtedly rewarding.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Lack of Wages