Glasgow Life

Glasgow Life Employee Reviews with Jobs

United Kingdom36 reviews

Secure job but no opportunity to advance

I worked at Glasgow Life for several years in various roles. It was a good secure job for a long time, and the hours suited me as I have young children. However, there is a culture of blaming others and avoiding responsibility, which makes it quite a stressful company to work for at times. Management is very mixed, and often do not take staff concerns seriously. It is very hard to progress in the company as higher up jobs are hard to come by and usually filled by other managers. Proactive employees are often criticised by other staff for wanting to improve things as no one wants to be given more work. Some employees seem to get away with doing nothing while others do all the hard work. All in all, secure job but quite a negative atmosphere.

Pros

Good hours, decent pay

Cons

Toxic culture

Poor management is alienating staff

There has been so many negative changes within Glasgow Life since the pandemic. Management don't care about their employees or look after them, you are just a body in a building to them. Your contract and branch will be changed at a moments notice and if you stand up for yourself you will be bullied by managers until they get their way.Don't waste your time applying to this toxic working environment, there is no room for promotion or advancement and zero training.

Cons

Management No company benefits

Insights into Glasgow Life

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Inclusive work environment

Management will collapse this company.

Management at all levels haven't a clue. Morale is the lowest most of us have experienced. Real workers on the front line have been wrongly paid for many a year and our back dated money is still in their bank account gaining interest while we all wait to be properly paid.

Easy job with decent pay

Majority or staff and managers are great - really easy to get along with. Nice relaxed atmosphere, managers don't push you too hard. Plenty of scope for progression into management positions if you're a decent worker and have good attendance. Would recommend.

Going downhill

Depending on your role you are either bored or overworked. Since the pandemic it has been almost unbareable to work there. Everyone is being treated differently and us low in the chain arent being listened to or ignored complately. Hypocritical management.

You're well looked after in Glasgow life

No two days are the same but thats the perks of the job. The earliest you could start is 5:45am but you'd have an early finish. Been with the company 2 years have made great friends in my building and with the opportunity to move around the city you get to see how each building operates.Management are super helpful and when I've needed help or guidance mine have always been supportive.

Pros

Great management (facility dependent) job security fantastic pension

Cons

Can be quiet now and again.

Toxic work environment due to bad management

Glasgow Life used to have a lot of life and passion within its teams. It's an organisation with arts, culture, sport and creativity at its core. It's a real shame that in recent years, the very best of its people have either left or have gone after long periods away with 'stress'. Even with home-working for the last 15 months, the only way to describe the working environment is 'toxic'. There is a top-down management structure and performance targets designed in a way to grind down employees rather than boost outputs.There is some truly bad management in place, with 'leaders' who are far from inspirational, but excellent at cutting people to shreds. Probably quite handy when you're only focus is on saving money rather than serving the public.In all good conscience, I could never recommend anyone to join this company; perhaps in a few years once it's current leadership is gone, or new leaders come in and look to remind everyone that working in sport, culture and the arts is about people, not wild and unreasonable performance targets.

Pros

Good wages and decent terms.

Cons

Poor management, managing decline.

Poor management results in lack of trust and any feeling of looking forward to work

Glasgow life has a dickensian attitude towards its staff treating them like some tenured workeforse supervisors and managers with no management skills whatsoever

Pros

Cons

Poor management

Solid and steady

Working for Glasgow Life is a solid and steady job. It is uncomplicated there are worse jobs out there for the level of pay and benefits provided. Probably the best thing about working for Glasgow Life you get good number of holidays depending on the number of hours worked and a good pension rate. Unfortunately management are not great, the people themselves are nice but it seems they're more concerned about meeting goals set rather than having a happy workforce and focusing on their venues. Working with the public can be stressful with little thanks from either the public or management. Thankfully staff are great and the work culture is really good with all staff coming together. Self Development opportunities are available but limited once all recommended training has been completed. No opportunity to complete other training due to training being aimed at management rather than front-line staff. Like I said Solid and Steady

Managers in positions without any idea of what they're doing

Apparently you only have to sit at a desk or stand in a venue for long enough to get a promotion. No reward for working hard, showing initiative or completing jobs above your station. Managers who've worked there for decades have no idea about current trends, up to date methods or modern workforces. These managers are on big money + aren't in any rush to move on, meaning no chance for promotion in lower ranks. Management punch downwards + that cam come across as bullying or inappropriate behaviour. (Like banning talking in open plan offices!!) Tight budgets are mentioned constantly, although there's huge amounts of wastage like Boxes of out of date print sits in the offices, never being distributed. Unefficient procedures. Plus undeserved salaries as mentioned above. Means lack of training. There are free outside work courses, which is great. You can take stuff like sign language and yoga. Outside of work hours. They offer flexi time in some roles, but don't always like you having it. The company have some of the best facilities and events across Glasgow, its a shame theres no excitement about it left in the company. Watched enthusiastic people leave all the time or turn into others who just see it as a job with a good pension.

Pros

Free classes outside of work, salaries, pension

Cons

Bad management

Fun workplace

The people who was working there was very helpful and knowledgeable. Everyone gad something to do no one was sitting about doing nothing. There is set rotation and hours which is good.

Pros

Good colleagues

Cons

Great people, great benefits. Challenge to progress.

Glasgow life is a great company to work for, the benefits are extremely generous, the annual leave as well as work life balance is beyond comparison! Only challening thing is to try and progress higher positions. People wait about 10 years average to get management positions.

Fun workplace

Really enjoyed working here, great people to work with and the pay is decent. Fun shifts even while getting the work done. Ongoing training and always get support if needed.

Pros

The people, pay

Cons

sometimes get bad shift patterns, although not always

Productiva and Inclusive

I volunteered as a Gaelic play leader for one year and then I was employed by Glasgow Life as a Gaelic play leader. I organised and supervised pre5 and primary children in activities. I planned activities which included art, singing and playing games. I organised the children into different educational levels and always ensured every child had an activity. At the end of each session I made sure every child was collected by a responsible person and then cleared away all the materials, games etc.

Pros

Great wage

Cons

Early Start

Good employer

Good people to work with freindly and fun enviroment good training materials .Fun experiance in the libary and culture good atmosphere freindly and helpfull staff

Staff are good higher managerment not so much!

Good company to work with to get experience but not the place you want to work forever as career advancement is hindered unless your a yes person and don't want to voice your opinion.

Friendly and approachable

Good company to work for. Great work life balance but no staff development or incentives, no wage increase in over five years. It's the staff that makes the company what it is. You will meet some of the most genuine people in a working environment.

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

No development, no pay increase and short lunch/ dinner brake's

amazing experience for being in 5th year

I had an amazing time to help plan this event as I like to create amazing things for the community to enjoy. I learned how to mange my time on planning this so it would be ready on time for the event.

Pros

amazing experiece

Cons

nothing

Difficult to progress

Learned good skills and the jobs are well paid with good benefits, however the culture of the organisation leaves a lot to be desired and it is difficult to move up the career ladder.

Pleasant place to work in

-It gave me the opportunity to build confidence to adopt to library culture in assisting individuals with different back grounds and catering the requirements. -Work environment is very supporting and is a pleasant team to be a part of. the Atmosphere is as such the team supports in the activities been carried out. -Most interesting part is you get to meet interesting people everyday.

Fun place to be

I had a great experience with Glasgow LIfe during Glasgow 2014 as a Host City Volunteer which involved helping visitors to the city with wayfinding and assisting with any questions they may have

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Glasgow Life. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Glasgow Life with

Glasgow Life Reviews by Location

• Glasgow Life
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?