GLL
Happiness score is 49 out of 100

GLL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom162 reviews

Post Covid

Working at GLL was very enjoyable before covid hit. Could interact with many customers mainly pool users while on shift but after covid you’d be rushing people in and out of different areas and not being able to create and build good rapport with customers as the company were more demanding on quantity of users rather then quality of service

Pros

Free memberships

Cons

N/a

Good pay, friendly people, decent job especially for my age

currently working at Newcastle trampoline park as a general assistant and fitness instructor, working in the park can be boring however pay is good especially once you turn 18, co workers are friendly and enjoyable to work with, also if you are on a 0 hour contract it is very flexible, I'd highly reccomend working for GLL if you are in college or university

Pros

Wage, Flexibilty

Cons

Working in the park is boring

Insights into GLL

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

local on site team and management is a dream, regional manager is a toddler

the short and the ugly: As a lifeguard for GLL you will be expected to do much more than what is in the contract, and unless you a) are full time and b) clock in excessive overtime, you will not see the pay equivalent to the work you do. you will be a concierge person and a gardener (such as uprooting bushes and litter picking in a field not owned by GLL), and then after that, the usual lifeguard roles will apply.The long, the sweet, and the Uglier: The local branch of GLL is a dream, very modern, runs proficiently and cleanly, some funny jobs such as weeding that I wouldn't call a lifeguard job but they are few are far between and the management of that particular site is on point. However, their regional manager of Cardiff has no sense of management, they dish out all their work to others and favour one particular site over all the rest, this makes running the other sites on an extremely tight budget even harder when one site gets quite literally state-of-the-art everything.The company overall management wise is dismal. they are constantly changing how customers scan in, but when the app is updated, or the system etc, the customers get fuming and the Front of House are left to try and soothe the situation- Front of House doesn't exist, most of the local sites have, at most, 2-3 part-time receptionists so lifeguards (whilst not described in the contract nor trained for) have to do Front of House admin, such as calling people up about payments, classes, cancellations, new memberships etc.I got lucky with an incredibly supportive on site team, however outside of that -

Work-life balance

I've been working with GLL for over a year and have found my manager and team members extremely supportive. Although it does get really busy on some days due to work load and deadlines, overall I can say we have work-life balance due to the support from manager and team.

Don’t do it

Awful company to work for! Worked for the contact centre in Belfast! They like to say it isn’t a call centre but that is exactly what it is! You are just a number! Management only for their jobs as they know the operations manager! Advised of progression but they have no intentions of progressing anyone! Management are bullies! They don’t actually do much other than sit talking to each other in the corner! Or carry their laptops around trying to look busy! I quit due to treatment of management! One manager even read my personal text messages from my phone! I highly advise staying away from this company!

Overall good experience for library assistant

Understaffing can be an issue and I think the pay could do with an increase for the multi faceted work that we do but overall my experience with GLL is a positive one.

Pros

Great colleagues, overall laid back atmosphere

Cons

understaffing, salary

Depending on the leisure centre, working place. I'm happy with my team, work not making you stress, everyone is ready to help you

I'm happy to work in this company more than 5 years. Helpful team members, amazing management, payment always on time. If you need support, you're always welcome to get of your team members

Great for development

The company provides you with great opportunities for development. If you choose to take it, you can easily get promoted as they encourage internal candidates.

Pros

development opportunities

Cons

challenging

There are better jobs

You will be worked like a dog completing the roles and tasks that in any other business a team would do, the working conditions are similar to Amazon. No support in the role, forced to take the jab, administration is one of the worst I’ve ever seen within a company. The list truly goes on. Save yourself the stress apply elsewhere

Pros

Pays the bills

Cons

No support in the role

unrealistic targets

Expected 60 tickets a day despite being on calls all day.Team leaders are rudeLack of training and help. instructions contradict itselfold system difficult to navigate

Pros

good pay

Cons

Team Leaders, management, hours lack of training

Swimming Teacher

I love working for GLL. Management go above and beyond, nothing is too much trouble. A very positive environment for all staff to thrive. A pleasure going to work. Lovely customers.

Pros

Positive, friendly environment.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Awful place to work

Horrible place to work. Horrible management awful with the way everything's run. Constantly faced with difficult situations with customers . Due to the managers faultLack of staff making things very difficultWould never recommend working for this company toxic work place . The building is an absolute mess everything's old and not being replaced as needed . Things are always broken the showers were always cold . Many customers were constantly complaining ! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone staff or customer !!!

Pros

Cons

Rude managers poorly run. Everything is a shambles

Great place to start, but not a career pathway

GLL is a great place to start for young people looking for a summer job or some casual hours on the side. It is simple to follow the tasks given, paid a decent amount whilst having supportive team members around to get the job done quicker. Beneficial if you like using the gym or going for a swim with a discounted membership and if you like shift work outside from the typical 9-5 job.However, since working in the past 5 years full time, there is a lack of progression and change within work patterns and working weekends or bank holidays is not very fun. It can also be stressful and tiring to manage when you don't have enough staff. Getting into management is a good stepping stone to get onto your CV, but it is very stressful and a lot of 'blaming' going on.

Pros

Discounted Gym & Swim Memberships, Supportive team, Keeps you on your toes

Cons

Work weekends and Bank Holidays, Can be stressful, Unsocial Hours to work

Fun work place environment

Working for full was a pleasure, I had no complaints with my time spent at GLL. Currently I am no longer a qualified life guard so I am not working for them.

Petty and unproductive

When I would come into work I would be greeted and we would all set up for our treatments for the day and ensure that the system was working. However when it came to the general atmosphere it wasn't great as the rooms stank due to the drain blockages and along with that there would be noise from the room next door due to classes going on. Many complaints were made but not much was done to resolve this and the people running the sessions were very rude and dismissive . The manager wasn't supportive at all and lacked empathy for any situation you were in. If you wanted to progress within the spa they would block any chance of you moving up and be very two faced when it came to justifying their reasons. I remember an incident when I was ill and I was forced to come into work even though I had a really bad chest infection and blocked nose which is not ideal when you're in close contact with clients. Although I feel like me and my colleagues got along well majority of the time when it came to setting up and support , Also when it came to training I did learn and develop my skills when it came to knowledge and treatments. Overall I believe that the salon could improve with better management and more care for the building itself.

Pros

night outs and gifts for reaching targets

Cons

no progression and not many benefits

Claims to be a social enterprise

Used to be a great place to work but has gotten worse over the years. Major job cuts resulting in the remaining staff having to do double the load. Have most staff on zero hour contracts and drop you from a shift whenever they feel like. There have been massive underpayments since we have been furloughed and no empathy has been shown from senior management.

Pros

Cons

Zero hour contracts

Too many negative issues to mention

I was made redundant No contact during 12 week period from management to enquire how I was ?? Just a phone call or email would have helped in this difficult time !! Gll are very good at pretending care but actually they really don’t !!!

Lovely staff and Managers

I had a great experience working here. All the staff get along and make you feel part of the team straight away, which makes going to work a joy. Everyday is different and the pay is very good.

Pros

Cons

Casual worker

Poor senior management

After 8 years of working for GLL I have been made redundant , no help offered with finding alternative employment and no real support just some stupid phone line which was about as good as useless. Was told I was being made redundant by centre manager not even by someone senior in the company, and in fact didn't have any contact from head office at all ........very poor! GLL DO NOT CARE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES AT ALL ! on furlough employees were paid just 80% of their wages in my area where as in other areas they were paid 100% (my area of the country is one of the most expensive areas to live) resulting in people not being able to pay bills and in some cases to being made homeless.but GLL didn't care . Training is appalling if you aren't a lifeguard in fact you can forget getting any at all! Altogether a very unpleasant company to work for. There is no point in reporting concerns about anything to most managers as nothing gets done .... I was being bullied by a duty manager and requested to be put on different shifts to him but nothing was done to him even though the bullying was witnessed by other staff and even a customer witnessed it on one occasion and reported it to senior management . But because the manager concerned was part of the old boy network the complaints were ignored .. in the end the other duty managers made sure I worked with them and not him by changing my shifts by saying they were short staffed .

Pros

Two decent duty managers

Cons

Poor senior management and bullying culture

Gll is a joke

Worked at a GLL site for over 3 years, and I can honestly say the company does not care about its employees or their customers and for me that’s not okay. They don’t follow proper safety protocols or rules of the company! majority of gll sites have less than 35% of qualified people running their swimming, gymnastics, trampolining or personal training sessions! I would not recommend ANYONE to give their money to GLL wether customer or employee!

Pros

No one cares

Feel like second home

I been working for Gll for 3 years as fitness instructor and covering reception when needed , and it’s been a lovely experience. Management and all other colleagues are friendly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GLL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare GLL with

Learn about GLL in popular locations

• GLL
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?