GLL

GLL Employee Reviews

Great place to start, but not a career pathway

GLL is a great place to start for young people looking for a summer job or some casual hours on the side. It is simple to follow the tasks given, paid a decent amount whilst having supportive team members around to get the job done quicker. Beneficial if you like using the gym or going for a swim with a discounted membership and if you like shift work outside from the typical 9-5 job.However, since working in the past 5 years full time, there is a lack of progression and change within work patterns and working weekends or bank holidays is not very fun. It can also be stressful and tiring to manage when you don't have enough staff. Getting into management is a good stepping stone to get onto your CV, but it is very stressful and a lot of 'blaming' going on.

Pros

Discounted Gym & Swim Memberships, Supportive team, Keeps you on your toes

Cons

Work weekends and Bank Holidays, Can be stressful, Unsocial Hours to work

Swimming Teacher

I love working for GLL. Management go above and beyond, nothing is too much trouble. A very positive environment for all staff to thrive. A pleasure going to work. Lovely customers.

Pros

Positive, friendly environment.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Awful place to work

Horrible place to work. Horrible management awful with the way everything's run. Constantly faced with difficult situations with customers . Due to the managers faultLack of staff making things very difficultWould never recommend working for this company toxic work place . The building is an absolute mess everything's old and not being replaced as needed . Things are always broken the showers were always cold . Many customers were constantly complaining ! I wouldn't recommend this to anyone staff or customer !!!

Pros

Cons

Rude managers poorly run. Everything is a shambles

Fun work place environment

Working for full was a pleasure, I had no complaints with my time spent at GLL. Currently I am no longer a qualified life guard so I am not working for them.

Petty and unproductive

When I would come into work I would be greeted and we would all set up for our treatments for the day and ensure that the system was working. However when it came to the general atmosphere it wasn't great as the rooms stank due to the drain blockages and along with that there would be noise from the room next door due to classes going on. Many complaints were made but not much was done to resolve this and the people running the sessions were very rude and dismissive . The manager wasn't supportive at all and lacked empathy for any situation you were in. If you wanted to progress within the spa they would block any chance of you moving up and be very two faced when it came to justifying their reasons. I remember an incident when I was ill and I was forced to come into work even though I had a really bad chest infection and blocked nose which is not ideal when you're in close contact with clients. Although I feel like me and my colleagues got along well majority of the time when it came to setting up and support , Also when it came to training I did learn and develop my skills when it came to knowledge and treatments. Overall I believe that the salon could improve with better management and more care for the building itself.

Pros

night outs and gifts for reaching targets

Cons

no progression and not many benefits

Claims to be a social enterprise

Used to be a great place to work but has gotten worse over the years. Major job cuts resulting in the remaining staff having to do double the load. Have most staff on zero hour contracts and drop you from a shift whenever they feel like. There have been massive underpayments since we have been furloughed and no empathy has been shown from senior management.

Pros

Cons

Zero hour contracts

Too many negative issues to mention

I was made redundant No contact during 12 week period from management to enquire how I was ?? Just a phone call or email would have helped in this difficult time !! Gll are very good at pretending care but actually they really don’t !!!

Lovely staff and Managers

I had a great experience working here. All the staff get along and make you feel part of the team straight away, which makes going to work a joy. Everyday is different and the pay is very good.

Pros

Cons

Casual worker

Poor senior management

After 8 years of working for GLL I have been made redundant , no help offered with finding alternative employment and no real support just some stupid phone line which was about as good as useless. Was told I was being made redundant by centre manager not even by someone senior in the company, and in fact didn't have any contact from head office at all ........very poor! GLL DO NOT CARE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES AT ALL ! on furlough employees were paid just 80% of their wages in my area where as in other areas they were paid 100% (my area of the country is one of the most expensive areas to live) resulting in people not being able to pay bills and in some cases to being made homeless.but GLL didn't care . Training is appalling if you aren't a lifeguard in fact you can forget getting any at all! Altogether a very unpleasant company to work for. There is no point in reporting concerns about anything to most managers as nothing gets done .... I was being bullied by a duty manager and requested to be put on different shifts to him but nothing was done to him even though the bullying was witnessed by other staff and even a customer witnessed it on one occasion and reported it to senior management . But because the manager concerned was part of the old boy network the complaints were ignored .. in the end the other duty managers made sure I worked with them and not him by changing my shifts by saying they were short staffed .

Pros

Two decent duty managers

Cons

Poor senior management and bullying culture

Gll is a joke

Worked at a GLL site for over 3 years, and I can honestly say the company does not care about its employees or their customers and for me that’s not okay. They don’t follow proper safety protocols or rules of the company! majority of gll sites have less than 35% of qualified people running their swimming, gymnastics, trampolining or personal training sessions! I would not recommend ANYONE to give their money to GLL wether customer or employee!

Pros

No one cares

Feel like second home

I been working for Gll for 3 years as fitness instructor and covering reception when needed , and it’s been a lovely experience. Management and all other colleagues are friendly.

Loved the people, not the company

I loved the people i worked with but we were so underpaid for what we were doing. We ( two others and myself) opened a new sector of the business for them. We then ran said sector. We were doing a management position ( rota, cashing up, opening and closing of site. Marketing, complaints, sales management etc ) but our titles were that of supervisor, so we were lucky to get 20p more than minimum wage at the time. It was a fun job but would have been better in a different company.

Pros

Team i worked with

Cons

Pay and progression

Workington

A typical day consisted of being monitored and watched throughout your working week weather you were a Lifeguard or Gym Instructor. That is ok to a degree however most of the time there was no need to have a quite word in your ear when common sense should of been used. A lot is expected of each and every employee. Poor management.

Avoid at all costs

Genuinely really bad company to work for. Pay is awful, they don't give a hoot about any staff below general manager level. All the big wigs that are rolling in it will throw you under the bus at any given opportunity, quite frankly a joke that I spent 8 years of my life working for them.

Fairly Relaxed

Relaxed enough but maintains a certain level of strictness in order to maintain a safe environment for its customers. The managers are fairly lenient and don't discipline unless necessary.

Worst place to work for ever!

By far the worst company I have ever worked for, management couldn’t care less about how staff are treated and brush off important complaints by customers. I have watched myself and others been bullied out of this company by management and other staff. Very badly run with lots of family links with managers so hard to say anything. Would not recommend working here if you want a job where you are respected.

I would advise not to work for GLL from my personal experience

I dispute their practice of printing that you arrive ten minutes early in their Normal operating procedure document but don't pay you for it when you are actually working, preparing poolside for lessons, and after teaching putting things away. If you highlight what I see as this injustice my experience is that they tell you you don't have to come in ten minutes early and that things will be put out for you (which they are not) , refer to the Normal Operating Procedure as a "management suggestion" and advise that if you carry on claiming for actual work done you might be "disobeying a management instruction". This puts you in an impossible position because as a professional you still end up coming in to do the work unpaid because if you don't parents would complain that their child's lessons is starting late if you put things out during lesson time. Personally I think this is disingenuous to say the least and morally reprehensible coupled with the fact that other than a few pennies here an there they have not given us swimming teachers a significant wage rise in line with inflation for at least a decade putting us in the position that in real terms we are more than £100 per week worse off than ten years ago. This company is every example of how not to treat its front line staff in my opinion.

Oh Dear...Manchester City Council Need To Find A New Partner.

I thought that I had worked at the worst place possible,,,and then I came to GLL at their 'flagship facility' in Manchester. At least the last place had literate 'management' who knew how to spell. Lied about hours, lied about role and responsibilities, changed shifts and introduced new ones with no consultation. No concern about welfare of customers or staff, could not even be bothered to turn out after a serious incident and were only concerned with covering their own backs after the event, picking holes in activity of staff who were 'on the ground' at the time and who dealt with it. A 'senior management' team who make the three stoogies look like MIT graduates - they give new meaning to 'chocolate fireguard', who are borderline illiterate and who turn in for work when they feel like it. Too young, too inexperienced, and who blame customer dissatisfaction on the junior members of staff and whose vocation it seems is to stab their staff in the back. A two faced, back stabbing environment, where certain individuals are more concerned with getting staff into trouble or on an ROC rather than doing their job and looking after customers. Easily the dirtiest leisure facility that I have seen and worked in, with significant health and safety issues both for staff and customers, and, having expressed these concerns, it was evident that I was not popular. AVOID. You deserve better and frankly you'll be better off on benefits.

Awful!

A terrible company to work for, avoid them at all costs. Higher ups are some of the rudest and laziest people I have ever had the misfortune of working with. The company will literally use and abuse you until the point where you cant take anymore and are forced to leave. I cannot stress enough how horrible GLL are!

Productive and fun workplace

A lovely place to work, customers are regular and friendly. Good pay, great benefits. Working for GLL has a very family and trustworthy environment, you feel free to ask for hep when needed from colleagues and superiors

Front line carries all the weight of responsibility

The upper management believes they are doing right because middle managers tick all the boxes on reports but they are unaware of what really goes on... middle managers often are more concerned on ticking all these boxes rather than delivering what they ACTUALLY say they believe in... So Not genuine customer service nor quality check and nor team balancing.. It is extremely sad as the principal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GLL. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

2.6Job security/advancement

Compare GLL with

• GLL
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?