Gloucestershire County Council

Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

The whole organisational culture is not good. There was disrespectful treatment of staff and active bullying that was openly there to see. When challenged this was not dealt with but brushed under the carpet. If your face fits and you can be manipulated you might stand a chance of recognition.
Pros
Public service
Cons
Not valued very poor morale of staff
Very friendly nice job satisfaction,different each day and meeting new people and you have a home life as well I enjoyed my time with this company and would return tomorrow
Pros
Cons
Varied hrs
Worst job I have ever had because of the bullying and toxic culture throughout the company. Senior management need to take action and stop ignoring the complaints and whistleblowing about inappropriate behaviour.
Pros
Limited
Cons
Lots
The worst place I have ever worked. Keep away from the legal department which is made up of Admin staff that have worked there since school and think that they’re high court judges. Awful manger with her side kick best mate. Too much work not enough lawyers and a massive change over of staff unless you’re in with the Admin staff because they run the show and complain about everything andeveryone
Pros
Leaving. Free parking.
Cons
Lied to about the role and workload
As a temporary Social Worker this was really not a great place to work! Very mean and our Senior Manager / Head of Service was not qualified and did not have any direct Social Work experience or direct experience of looking after disabled children yet was in charge of many departments. Loads of good managers left in a short space of time and replaced by agency manager which is not great for the staff or children. The in group and out group exists to the extreme. People are scared to complain as the senior leaders don't want to hear about the racism that exists towards staff and vulnerable children. A department like this should care about families and children and should have a huge amount of direct experience but sadly they don't. Gloucestershire needs a revamp and all the senior managers and directors need to go and get in some leaders with valued, morals and ethics. LESS RACISM AND SEXISM PLEASE
Nice place to work nice people and great location, free staff car park 10 min walk away behind Tesco. Also runs a shuttle bus service to and from the car park.
Management lacked coherent policies and lacked direction. Offer little or no support to colleagues. The department was "all at sea", manageing itself. One manager favoured particular people (clicky) and inexperienced. Work colleagues were very helpful and supportive to one another. Bringing a fun work environment to each day. Most colleagues were very experienced in many aspects of the profession. There was always someone who had an answer to any query. raised. It was a great place to work and operate. Every person would learn something from another person.
Pros
Great work colleagues. Free lunches at training conventions.
Cons
Bad management. Often projects had to be started in a hurry; lack of fore thought.
Total commitment to the pupils and improving their learning strategies and encouraging them to be independent and more confident. A structured timetable was in place which ensured the pupils received the best and consistent support.
would not apply for the front of house team. As an apprentice, I was treated unfairly by all managers. one week told i was not good enough and was being let go. The next stating that I could stay.
i lived my job working with children and young adults. The service is in a good need of help not for only the children we work with but for ofsted to agree
Pros
Good atmosphere and support
Cons
Over worked with minimum staff
very busy environment, staff friendly, pay ok. short staffed, Work environment is good, ability to progress ok, training available and supported by managers.
You will be paid peanuts and expected to do the work of 10 men. Everything comes down to money and if you don't fit that culture, you're out. Honestly never felt so disrespected.
You have to be in care or a child of a career but if you meet those requirements then this is a great. The people are really nice and welcoming. A great group of people
Lots of opportunities to learn and grow and the organisation is doing important and invaluable work for the community. Growing my professional knowledge and resilience.
Good place to work. Friendly staff. Typical local Gov job though, not enough money to do a proper job and members of the public never happy how ever hard you work.
Great colleagues, ok salary and job security. I love my job however I'm tired of the way it is managed. Management culture is very negative with constant scrutiny and humiliation of staff. People are always picked up on silly little things but never recognised for the great work that they do. Line management blames their managers and so on all to justify why they do what they do. There's little to no career advancement for unqualified staff and if so it's a face fits attitude. There is very little opportunities in getting further training or qualifications even if there is a distinct lack of social workers. Management care very little about the people they manage hence a high staff turnover and even then they can't seem to recognise that their actions are the cause of this. Office and IT equipment is basic and dated, in need of a deep clean.
I found Gloucestershire County Council to be a good employer. Obviously they are a large organisation with a wide range of roles, so each one needs to be looked at independently.
Caring, friendly environment. Productive and interactive with community. Professional and understanding of all relevant internal processes, with all activities carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements.
Colleagues are lovely, benefits are good, pay is getting better. Excellent training on offer but due to issues around career progression you may not get the opportunity to put your learning into practice.
Pros
Employee Assistance Programme, Decent Pension, Very good policies such as Dignity at Work, HR very helpful if you need them, Occupational Health are very good
Cons
Unsupportive line management, Career Progression, Salary
The problem with GCC is the management culture of fear, humiliation and degradation. I worked there for 7 months and received no useful training or line management support. The colleagues I had were lovely, but depressed and felt used and abused, as I did. GCC need to realise that the reason so many people leave is not low pay, it's being bullied and deskilked by sub standard management . The rot is endemic and comes from the top down. Treat people with respect, fairness and kindness and they'll be loyal. Abuse, humiliate and degrade them and people will have nothing good to say. Rightly so.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Bullying management
As you're working for the council, there is always an concern that jobs will be cut or changed which can lead to uncertainty throughout the staff. However, I met some lovely individuals and really enjoyed the job I did. The management was poor as we all felt they didn't listen to how we felt about situations, and would often act the opposite, but overall I really enjoyed my roll.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Job uncertainty