Gloucestershire County Council

Gloucestershire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom80 reviews

councilchildsupportstaffmanagerteamgoodplace

Review

Have worked at GCC since 2016 and GCC has supported me in progressing up the career ladder and payscales. Nearly all colleagues I encounter genuinely want to make a positive difference to the lives of people and deliver quality services to Gloucestershire.

Brokerage

If you like to be under appreciated and treated awfully this is the department for you. Management are terrible with very little clue on what they are doing which leads to blaming the rest of the workforce.I worked in Brokerage for 2 years and things were getting worse despite the issues being looked at.

Pros

I appreciate how good other departments are

Cons

I lost 2 years

Insights into Gloucestershire County Council

Areas for improvement
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

Not a great experience

Not the best experience, management don't listen and are inflexible. No one available if working remotely. Very slow to update and train on new ict systems and updating in general.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

No opportunities

Good But Could Improve

Overall a pleasant place to work. Some of the processes are old fashioned and quite honestly a waste of tax payer money with minimal accountability taken by senior management. However, i can see it suiting someone else, just not for me.

Pros

Great staff and colleagues

Cons

Poor management accountability

Great management

The highways development team were friendly, helpful and always there when you need them to additional support. My team leader was the best I’ve probably worked for for many years.

Enjoyable

Started work on a temporary basis, really enjoyed the role and the people I worked with. Overall, I would recommend working here. Only downfall is how snowed under the ICT team are, I didn’t get any equipment for 4 weeks

Great if management is good!

Was always a great experience here until the last year or so with negative changes. The council as a whole is a great place to work collaboratively and has great benefits but unfortunately the people in it and the systems can be a let down.

Pros

Employee benefits

Cons

Management/systems

Incredibly short sighted organisation

Senior management lack the basic understanding of what is required for the long term betterment of the authority and more importantly the staff.Spent a seven figure sum renovating an old office building when it could have been sold for development or altered to social housing etc. At a time when other organisations were downsizing long before the pandemic this one was ignoring flexible working and the need for staff to work remotely to help justify the renovations and avoid spending money on an outdated IT infrastructure. Those at the top of the GCC tree need to be moved on for the good of the County.

Pros

Some incredible members of staff

Cons

Inept management who will always protect their own interests

Great organisation to work for

Plenty of support when needed and recognition is given when deserved. During Covid my manager made sure to check in with everyone and ensured we had everything we needed. Company laptops, chairs and even desks were provided to be able to work from home smoothly.

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

If you like being overworked and over-scrutinised, then join this company. There is a reason why their adult social care has such high staff turnover rates. Terrible terrible management that continuously show favouritism and do not show any accountability for their actions. Worst mistake of my life. Genuinely advise others not to join, don’t do it to yourself. There are other local authorities close by that are better.

Pros

Cons

Overworked. Bullying. poor management. High stress levels. Favouritism. Very strict.

Awful truly awful

Don’t ever foster for these people they will throw you under the bus and you don’t even have to by a ticket , should you ever be brave enough to speak up about their practice and then you will be told that interesting, and then they will close all doors and isolated you, don’t expect your supervising social worker to support you, they will run and hide under the umbrella of Gloucester county council.They constantly advertise for carer this is due the this revolving door when they are done with you you will have no soul left

Pros

Cons

A bunch of con artist

Poor Management

Poor senior managers, who do not abide by the values of GCC. There is no integrity and a lot of gossip with other members of staff. There is no room for initiative or forward thinking, processes and procedures of time past need updating in all areas.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Bad management

Agency social work is always demanding

LowsStaff turnover too high, both workers and managersManagers exhaustedFailed OFSTEDHighsHeading in the right directionClearer expectationsLikely to become a great place to work

Avoid.

In a team of 50+ I am the only person of colour. Since joining there have been multiple positions available and still no minorities hired. Management are terrible and are dismissive of any concerns raised. If you try and raise a matter, you’re seen as ‘challenging’ and ‘difficult’. No cultural competency at all. They have a very traditional, conservative atmosphere and staff are expected to act like robots. They promise benefits before joining, but after joining, they find excuses to say you are not eligible for these benefits. Oh and they say you have a ‘protected caseload’? No! Your allocated cases are ‘protected’, but they still give you cases to ‘screen’ (duty work), they act like you will have less cases as a new starter but in reality you can have 5-10 allocated cases and 5-10 screening cases, so there really is no difference. The over scrutiny you face for the tinniest matters is unbelievable. GCC are very strict and instead of approaching staff with support when you make a mistake, they approach you in a very degrading ’telling off’ manner. Honestly hand on heart, if I had another choice of employment, I would take it. If you do join this place, join a union too.

Pros

Cons

Stressfully environment, Bullying culture, Racism, Poor management, Lack of cultural competency, Poor pay

Excellent And Friendly

Very friendly nice job satisfaction,different each day and meeting new people and you have a home life as well I enjoyed my time with this company and would return tomorrow

Pros

Cons

Varied hrs

Toxic Culture

Worst job I have ever had because of the bullying and toxic culture throughout the company. Senior management need to take action and stop ignoring the complaints and whistleblowing about inappropriate behaviour.

Pros

Limited

Cons

Lots

Culture is toxic

The whole organisational culture is not good. There was disrespectful treatment of staff and active bullying that was openly there to see. When challenged this was not dealt with but brushed under the carpet. If your face fits and you can be manipulated you might stand a chance of recognition.

Pros

Public service

Cons

Not valued very poor morale of staff

Horrible people

The worst place I have ever worked. Keep away from the legal department which is made up of Admin staff that have worked there since school and think that they’re high court judges. Awful manger with her side kick best mate. Too much work not enough lawyers and a massive change over of staff unless you’re in with the Admin staff because they run the show and complain about everything andeveryone

Pros

Leaving. Free parking.

Cons

Lied to about the role and workload

Not a nice place to work

As a temporary Social Worker this was really not a great place to work! Very mean and our Senior Manager / Head of Service was not qualified and did not have any direct Social Work experience or direct experience of looking after disabled children yet was in charge of many departments. Loads of good managers left in a short space of time and replaced by agency manager which is not great for the staff or children. The in group and out group exists to the extreme. People are scared to complain as the senior leaders don't want to hear about the racism that exists towards staff and vulnerable children. A department like this should care about families and children and should have a huge amount of direct experience but sadly they don't. Gloucestershire needs a revamp and all the senior managers and directors need to go and get in some leaders with valued, morals and ethics. LESS RACISM AND SEXISM PLEASE

Busy, lots of work fast pace

Nice place to work nice people and great location, free staff car park 10 min walk away behind Tesco. Also runs a shuttle bus service to and from the car park.

Helpful, fun and supportive personnel

Management lacked coherent policies and lacked direction. Offer little or no support to colleagues. The department was "all at sea", manageing itself. One manager favoured particular people (clicky) and inexperienced. Work colleagues were very helpful and supportive to one another. Bringing a fun work environment to each day. Most colleagues were very experienced in many aspects of the profession. There was always someone who had an answer to any query. raised. It was a great place to work and operate. Every person would learn something from another person.

Pros

Great work colleagues. Free lunches at training conventions.

Cons

Bad management. Often projects had to be started in a hurry; lack of fore thought.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gloucestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement