Go-Ahead London logo
Go-Ahead London
Happiness score is 67 out of 100Average

Go-Ahead London Employee Reviews

Great place nice colleges

Nice place colleagues all good. Shift work some times early shifts sometimes lates management helpful. Meet people from all over the country and tourists visiting city. Hardest part of job is shift work different times every day

Favourtism to certain people.

I worked as a driver for Go Ahead London for 3 years. During that time I applied for other vacancies within the company. On at least 15 occasions I never got an interview and when I questioned HR about this, they complained about me and therefore I got into trouble. There have been other people who have been there only a year and they get an interview. I would not recommend anyone to work for them because they show favourtism and all this stuff about progression in the company is rubbish. The only ones who progress have relatives who work in management otherwise you are stuck as a driver forever.

Pros

Free travelcard.

Cons

Everything else.

Not a good place to work if you have children

Being a bus driver is a good job because of the pay and benefits but the work/home balance is not good for a family person because of the different shift patterns e.g earlys, middles and lates. For that reason I chose to stop working there.

Pros

Health care benefits

Cons

Long hours and shift work

Horrible place to work

Horrible place to work. Not much of a work/social balance and they underpay you. They don’t care about what you have going on in your social life as long as you can come in to drive. Which such a high overturn of drivers they couldn’t care less about whether you leave

you are a number

when you start working for GAL you get given an employee number, and that's what you are for them (management), if there's a problem or you need anything, they will just call the next number in the queue. you can earn some extra money, as you end up working between 40/50 hours per week. based on a 40 h week, you can get the same money working in a pub.

Okay but very very high pressure for work

Great pay however long hours and very hard work but if you enjoy fast pace then you will get on alright the buses have awful body work so bear that in mind but mechanically they are not to bad

Pros

Free travel high wages

Cons

Long hours not very good management

Fellow drivers are great, management love to discipline

I worked here for 8 years as a bus driverMy fellow drivers were the salt of the earth. Honest hardworking and full of banter. A truly great team of people.Admin and engineering staff were friendly and easy to get along with. Managers are all looking to score brownie points with the hierarchy. They discipline people at the drop of a hat. You will NOT be believed, no matter what you say. Controllers force you to work overtime, which is completely illegal in order to maintain the service gap between buses. However if you know the law, you will still face a disciplinary, but there's nothing management can do if you finish on time.The public are generally ok, but you meet some real a**holes, quite often dangerous. Other road users are a nightmare.Pay is ok at the top rate, but I had to work 6 years to reach it, and you really don't get paid enough for some of the things that happen. I've been spat at, assaulted and called every name under the sun by "passengers" and management just say its part of the job!Avoid at all costs!!

Pros

None really

Cons

Long hours, horrible shifts and bad management

Don’t trust the union.

The company as a whole seem to think they can stress you and other driver over nothing. Managers think they are judge jury and executioner without any proof. Don’t join the union as they work for the company.

Pros

Cons

Managers and buses

Miejsce pracy gdzie pracownik jest tylko nr statystycznym.

Miejsce pracy gdzie pracownik jest tylko nr statystycznym.Zeo szacunku kadry zarzadzajadzej dla kierowcow.Ktorzy notabene tyraja na ich sukces i pensje.Ogolnie jedno wielkie szambo.

Pros

darmowy bilet na strefy w londynie

Cons

Zawsze wina kierowcy co by sie nie stało.

Very low pay rate

The job would be ok if the pay rate would increase,you need to be able to give up your social life because of the different start hours at least until you get a rota and you could know 1 year in advance what your shifts will be,then if you are lucky enough not to have any problems (work related...complaints or accidents)you will avoid dealing with some of the management team who will definitely not take your side...EVER!

Pros

not many

Cons

No management support, always drivers fault

Jobs at Go-Ahead London

See more jobs

Good company

Fair place to work. Lots of stress from passengers and other road users but the company itself is great. Management supports you if you are open and honest with them. I had to leave due to relocating and I really miss working there. Pay is low for new drivers so you have to work overtime to break even. There's almost always overtime available.

Pros

Free travel in London

Cons

Long hours and poor pay

Friendly

Loved working with them Friendly. Good working environment. Management very friendly .Staff very cordial and helpful. Good working place. organised,.

Pros

Friendly

Cons

N/a

Ok work place.

Company only think of themselves an the company pocket. The director an managers are happy to push the lower end staff like myself on the front line to make them the money but not willing to sort us when things happen. They put up the wage per hour but then lower the hours u work on duty so u loose and they win. Drivers can’t or don’t get the luxury to work from home but management collect big wage package an never have to face what we face on a daily basis.

Pros

Job security

Cons

Your are jus a number to them.

Good

I really enjoyed working as bus driver for go ahead .I was their for a few years .l had no problems. I liked the route I was on 476 Northumberland park to euston

One day's training for Agency Staff

As an agency staff member I was given one day's training and then the next day doing the job on the road with no trainer present. The results were perhaps predictable. After making a few administrative mistakes with the machines on day 4 of the job I was 'set up' with a second driving assessment where the mentor had been instructed to find any fault to get rid of me. CORRUPT!

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Currupt managment need a visit from the authorities.

Very good

Very good place to work at but remember you don't get a social life there due to being on the road so forget to plan anything at all but the company is fine

Pros

Cons

Gossip

Friendly Office environment

Worked in recruitment, nice office environment and friendly staff. Met lots of individuals who were seeking to become drivers, felt the role gave me suitable responsibility and challenge.

Pressure

Like all big bus companpies there will try to get max amount of mileage out of each bus. So timing pressurise drivers to break speed limit. Old heads will tell you to obey the law road side and radio controller will ask questions why you lost mileage. They get paid per mileage done. So in other words you get shown and trained to how to drive professionally and customer care requirement then managerment expect you to speed and ignore comfort of passengers.

variety of duties and hours to suit!

My experience with go ahead was the management professionalism which also came with detail competence in there works ethics..........there is.nt a better company that knows how to run a bus service I'd say....4 stars,

Pros

plenty of scope to go up the ladder!

Cons

can be long hours!

Good all round !

Very good work colleagues ,allway 's there to help, all on same team !! A happy environment to work in ! All management will stop to say hello,at least to me ,miss the job ! But health issue took away my PSV licience ,!

Are an average employer

Was a good company, new management not up to scratch. They did change the goalposts on the working week. Did enjoy working at company except the last 2 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go-Ahead London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement