Go-Ahead London
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

Go-Ahead London Employee Reviews

United Kingdom105 reviews

Good earning potential but unsocial hoira7

go ahead are a half decent firm to work for.They are strict on some things but lacks on others. if you want to earn £££ then you can as there is driving work all the time.you can progress a little but upper management tend to have already earmarked who's going to progress, although some other do. stray through.If you want to be a driver and earn good money with a few rest days they are a good firm.

Pros

free oyster card, discounted rail travel

Cons

unsocial hours

driving for Go Ahead London

2 years driving for Go Ahead, I'm very pleased. You need to have patience lots of patience with passengers and surrounding traffic. It's very stressful driving around London City but also great experience. London is wonderful city. You get free travel around London it's brilliant. Some depots are spot on. Great colleagues and managers.

Pros

Very heavy traffic

Cons

Long pattern shifts before brake

Insights into Go-Ahead London

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Energising work tasks

Had to do long hours to get a decent amount of pay. Very unsociable hours. I.e working most weekends/lates. Had a very good manager at the depot I worked at

Pros

Good managers

Cons

Long unsociable hours

Hard work, unsocial hours

Obviously loads of driving and getting bothered from the controller. Management don't take employees life into consideration, they're just numbers. It's up to you to make working fine requests and stand up for yourself.

Conducive Environment

Good place to work, it’s relaxing but pay is the lowest in London, Allocations staffs are friendly & willing to help, also the buses are well maintained.

Pros

Flexible working Pattern

Cons

Low Pay @ Northumberland Park

Nice place to work

I have worked at goahead london for 3 years now and I would say it’s great company to work for all the drivers and controllers are friendly make you fill welcome everyone gets on and are most of time happy and it’s easy place to work at rates of pay are not to bad even as new bee

Good

Good job it can be stressful driving in London. Managment are decent in my experience. Could do with more buses.Job is what you make of it, just smile.

Pros

Good money

Cons

Some bad buses to drive

Terrible work/life balance

Start and finish at all hours of day and night. Little to no appreciation for your hard work, nothing in way of support for employees. Some horrible passengers who cause you no end of grief.Controllers refuse to turn you despite running 30 mins late because of an accident or whatever. So you rarely finish anywhere close to your rostered time.Pay is terrible given the level of skill and training required to do the job. I would find this career and this employer very hard to recommend to anyone.

Bad working conditions

The driving is okay and can actually be quite relaxing (if a bit boring). Also never had any issues with the management and they're nice enough to talk to. There are a lot of issues though including:- Have to work 7 days in a row every week- No toilet at either stand- Nowhere to take your break- Holidays assigned to you (you can't chose the dates yourself)- Not given enough time to check the bus so have to come in early (unpaid)- Garage very dirty (especially toilets which are always disgusting)- Random earlies and lates and you can't chose which you prefer (starting at 4am or as late as finishing at 2am)

Pros

Free tfl travel, pay is ok, driving relaxing

Cons

Working conditions

Good camorardary with other drivers. Stressful and unpleasant atmosphere otherwise

I was a pcv driver for donkies years before this company took over and the last 3 years working under them was by far and away the most aweful experience ever. The aggressive management technique is to bully and pressurise until you fulfil their money making greed at the expense of your health and public safety. They have no idea or experience in doing the job themselves which is therefore unachievable and detrimental to health and safety. Loyalty, experience and safety means nothing because this is reflected in higher wages therefore you are hounded until you can be replaced by cheap voiceless expendable labour. This job is great to earn a quick buck but by the end of 6 months you will come to your senses and get a proper job where you will be treated like a valued and productive member of society.

Pros

Free travel in the local area

Cons

Long hours, 7 days on then 2 off, Unrealistic expectations, Poor and unfair management, Highly stressful with no backup or regard for personal health or wellbeing, No family or social life.

Avoid!!!

I don’t recommend this company. They put lots of pressure over their employees for pennies, and the employee is responsible for everything! Find something better.

Equip their staff to the highest standard

Everyone is treated equally compared to other bus firms. If anything goes wrong, no single party got power of you. Everyone has to answer to someone which is always good as authority cannot be manipulated or weaponised. The company will equip you to the highest standard and will expect the same standard back which is fair.

Pros

Best bus company to work for

Cons

Shift work which is the nature of the beast.

Stressful, underpaid and undervalued.

The training was absolutely brilliant, the trainer at barking was outstanding, unfortunately that’s where the good points end.When I went to the garage I was quickly shown how to drive 4/5 different buses, for around 20/30 mins each, which is ridiculous as they’re all different with different controls, they have what they call “mentors” there, they’re meant to show you everything at the garage and help if you need anything, which they certainly don’t, they want to get rid of you on to your route as quickly as possible.You’ll be shown a route for about 20-30 mins then expected to drive it next time out.The buses are old and you will not get enough time to check them when you take over from another driver - be warned.I was told several times that if I accept I’m just a number, I’ll be ok, which killed my morale straight away.The job is very dangerous without any of the above and the pay doesn’t make up for it, go do your HGV instead.Expected to do “spread overs” in the middle of nowhere, and you will get the blame for anything and everything, it’s the culture there, steer clear.I left in the first week.Even if you badly need money, my advice is train and do something else, this company feels like a good one, as long as you’re not driving a bus, horrible experience.

Pros

None?

Cons

Long hours, Underpaid, Undervalued and disrespected.

For Go ahead you’re literally a number they don’t treat you as a human being

All the they want is to drive the bus not stopand cover jobs they will call you non stop, at your days off to come and work and if you said, no they will give the worst jobs possible to punish you for your normal days as , new driver expect full abuse and for 5days of work take home around 400£ not worth it guys is ,lot of jobs out there that offer that money for way less responsibilities

Pros

Free travel for you and your partner

Cons

Long hours abuse from supervisors management passengers minimum London, pay for new drivers and you wait 6 year to go on top rate

get the right garage it will help

you work for go ahead, and go ahead do everything for TFL, staff will stab u in the back for a laugh. long week without day off. controllers only care about miles and not about drivers opinion. old buses and rude staff

Pros

lots of shifts job is safe

Cons

work 7 days

Great place to work, management spot on, respectful, no discrimination, you do the job that your supposed to and sign on time you will have ZERO headache

Pros

Free parking, free pool

Cons

Early shifts are a bit hard unless you dont mind them sort of hours

Worst company to work for bullies and manipulative management

Company only care about mileage being covered and nothing else the staff behind the counter are only helpfull if you help them. the pay is not what is advertised if you do not put in the hours you will not see the benfits that they advertise. The work life balance is really poor and you never get the time to really see family or friends. Promises made to you as a driver and never delivered. Another issue Management will always try and put you down and you will never be able to grow if you looking to do this and get into management if your face does not fit there will be no growth for yourself. The controllers usually forget where they came from being drivers previouly and are very rude and try and be aggressive and force you to run late and do overtime without your permission.

Pros

Cons

everything about the job

Never ever again

when i done 4 years here i had my nan pass away i had time off as you do but when i went back to work i was disciplined for it as they said it was classed as sick they was the worst garage i worked for the union took the companys side and 500 a week thats a joke the hours are cut you do 10 hour duty you get paid 7 or 8 if your lucky and take home about 340 a week buses and gear boxes always not working properly company is just a joke you are definitely a number my advise get a job in supermarket they pay alot more i also had to pay for my travel to and from work cause passes take 3 months a joke

Pros

Cons

just a bum in seat nothing else

A time of my life that I wish to forget never felt valued plus a very dangerous working environment intimidated and bullied throughout

Very outdated work facilities a humid and hot canteen room that you can barely breathe in let alone consume food, no social distance during the pandemicToilets are 1960s more prefab training facilities for an interrogation service,On the whole welfare system needs adreessing

Pros

Weekly pay

Cons

Long hours always on the smart phone no payslips

Great place nice colleges

Nice place colleagues all good. Shift work some times early shifts sometimes lates management helpful. Meet people from all over the country and tourists visiting city. Hardest part of job is shift work different times every day

Favourtism to certain people.

I worked as a driver for Go Ahead London for 3 years. During that time I applied for other vacancies within the company. On at least 15 occasions I never got an interview and when I questioned HR about this, they complained about me and therefore I got into trouble. There have been other people who have been there only a year and they get an interview. I would not recommend anyone to work for them because they show favourtism and all this stuff about progression in the company is rubbish. The only ones who progress have relatives who work in management otherwise you are stuck as a driver forever.

Pros

Free travelcard.

Cons

Everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Go-Ahead London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement