Goldsmiths, University of London

Goldsmiths, University of London Employee Reviews

Fun for active learners

I had a great time! I did my work experience with the university, they were so welcoming! Genuinely a memorable experience, I would press young people to ring in early for work experience roles.

Pros

Accomidating

Cons

Intensive and repetitive but I liked that!

A workplace to grow

I was lucky enough to finish university and swing straight into a part-time job where I was doing what I loved and ultimately what I wanted to do at the time. I was able to learn from my superiors whilst teaching the students from my own experiences.

Pros

Amazing people / colleagues

Cons

A unique place to work. An academic centre of creative expression.

Goldsmiths University prides itself on fuelling a creative community, which also promotes academic excellence. New ideas and thinking for oneself is encouraged, and research projects span across the arts, cultural studies, and social sciences. Goldsmiths host some amazing lecturers and students who go on to do great things. An interdisciplinary approach has helped students to cross academic boundaries, in order to enhance their comparative understanding of humanities. Academically, Goldsmiths is of a very high standard, particularly in the areas of media, politics, and sociology. The Philosophy Centre offers advanced seminars to the public, and the main building hosts a cinema and bar open to the public. Goldsmiths have celebrated "diversity and inclusion" for many years, but this achievement has been undermined in recent years, due to some very bad press concerning discrimination. The senior management are incredibly slow to respond to such issues. Indeed, there appears to be a massive disconnect between senior management and the academic staff. However, there is a real opportunity to reconnect with their "original values" when they were Goldsmiths College, before the commercialisation of UK Higher Education.

Pros

Chilled out

Cons

But complacent!

Producation

Work as a student ambassador is fun Part time job is great social media job the fun, I can work on material anything I like. Recommond to anyone, muti language and experience

Varied and interesting.

Very invested stakeholders, many hard workers. There is a lack of stability due to manystaff leaving in the last couple of years. The college has a strong reputaion for creative thiking and social sciences.

Great

I was employed throughout my studies as a student ambassador. Pay was varied dependent on assignment. Good team, excellent workforce. Overall loved everything about Goldsmiths and miss the place

Great atmosphere.

It was a great experience to work at a multicultural and multidisciplinary place sharing ideas with people from different backgrounds. Fantastic atmosphere in general.

Good University

Good University to study at for Film and fun opportunities within the degree to learn and make films. Good learning of industry workflow and collaborating with a team

Excellant place to work

Goldsmiths is a exciting environment to work consisting of 28 buildings with over 200 teaching spaces. Working closely with main builders facilities to deliver state of the art teaching spaces. The staff are friendly, polite and professional and always keen to assist in the challenging environment.Working with 3rd party vendors to deliver the Av was a pleasure, I would recommend Goldsmiths as a good work place

Not great!!

Not a great place to work!! The organisation was going through changes by the time I joined. While I was there many people left due to frustration.

Na

Best company I worked also i learnt so much when I worked for the company and also I gained so much knowledge working there and working as a team I enjoyed

Nice environment

Nice environment to work in, everyone is willing to help and support you. The salary is not amazing as a research assistant but the good life/work balance makes up for it.

productive and independent

Gave me skills on how to use E-PRIME and Matlab Advanced my skills on cognitive psychology. I data collected the whole sample which allowed to be acknowledged on the published journal.

Pros

experience in the research industry, I had my name classed as the data collector in the published journal

Cons

long hours and it was an unpaid internship

Low stress

This workplace is not too stressful, however it can be difficult to move forward in your career. This is a particular problem if you are highly ambitious.

Fun and engaging

I thrived in organising and delivering sessions in Goldsmiths University and outside for school groups. The people we worked with were encouraging and appreciative.

Nice Place To Work If You Find A Good Department

Colleagues and students good to work with. There are possibilities of flexible working and it's useful if you live locally because it makes for easier commuting. Disappointing support from middle and senior management. Workplace culture is stress and overloading of work in many departments, with understaffing and lack of budgets. High staff turnover means teams are frequently left covering additional roles for long periods until replacements are recruited. Beware higher grade roles are often on unlimited hour contracts (ie you will be expected to work evenings and weekends to complete your workload). Choose your department with care - the nice ones can be excellent to work in.

Pros

Good if live locally

Cons

Poor treatment of staff by management; lots of problems with stress due to unfeasibly high workloads

Inspiring

very inspiring environment. I had the opportunity to get experience in Neuropsychological research field. I improved my skills in research methodology and my knowledge in Neuroscience. The work environment was relaxed and all staff very supportive.

Great work environment

Great work environment, friendly team, well organised. Workplace culture is about respect and trust towards the employees. Enjoyable job as it is very varied.

good place to develop

Cannot really rate this place because it was a short lived experience. Unfortunately there is no filter on indeed to separate this kind of experience.

Friendly workplace

It's a relaxing working environment, but the location is a bit far from the city. It's also located in quite rough area. Don't recommend that people walk in that area at the late night

Relaxed and friendly

Atmosphere is usually quite friendly and relaxed. Hardest part of the job is when loads of students/teachers come but we are understaffed I enjoy being able to meet hundreds of students per week

Pros

Pay, flexibility, team

Cons

Late hours, management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Goldsmiths, University of London. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement