Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Gourmet Burger Kitchen Employee Reviews

United Kingdom148 reviews

tips can be really really good

pay is monthly but you have acsses to 40% off your wages which is handy. everyone’s friendly and pay is okay but hours can be long and prone to short staffed but training and skills are easily learnable

Pros

free meal every shift friendly co workers reasonable managers

Cons

takes a while to set in shift may be bomarded depending on what hours you agree to

It was nice until we got bought buy Boporan

I really enjoyed my time at gbk, there was a good emphasis on teamwork and colleague relationships and everyone got along. It’s frustrating though as it’s hard to move up and raises are all the same, a bit demotivating when some colleagues are there to mess about and get paid the same. Bonuses were great before boporan (£1 extra per hour if your restaurant did well in a certain period, an extra 4 weeks paid holiday on top of existing holiday if you were there 10 years etc) when we changed over that was all scrapped. Now there are none. Interview process was really chill when I joined but after boporan it became strict and almost uncomfortable (managers have to ask a specific set of questions instead of it being a conversation). Another thing I hated was how untrustworthy the company is to their staff who’ve been there years, it was a really strange shift to boporan… I just kept thinking wow I’ve been here 5 years !!

Pros

Free meals on shift, very understandable management

Ok

Not bad. Training was great. Wouldn't recommend if you're a student due to long hours and late finishes. Didn't last long there as the manager was rude and purposely kept putting me on lates.

No end shifts, no overtime paid, low salary

Restaurant managers don't care about the rest of the team.Don't understand what a wellbeing means in the team.I help the company to open many new restaurants, and every single Manager I meet was the same, very despotic, ruthless and they know better.Once the company was sold to a new group of companies, the GBK brand changed drastically.Previous owners were far more better than the actual ones and more people orientated.

Pros

Free lunch.

Cons

Very long hours, no overtime paid, low salaries, high expectations.

Workers are nice but the management is dreadful

The co-workers are always uplifting but the management expect too much. Worked Back of the House and at times it was boring and depressing since there’s nothing to do. New Workers come in every week too so job security was bad. Would be very difficult if it’s your first job

Pros

Free Food, Decent Pay

Cons

Long Hours, Depressing atmosphere, Poor management

Fun and caring workplaxe

It was great to work for GBK cambs, the team is great , the manager very professional and caring, very flexible, and hard working. I highly recommend the place, there is progression in place, for those who would like to learn and improve.

Pros

Free staff lunches, flexible shifts

Cons

There are long hours, but thats standard for kitchen work

Expect perfection with little training.

With high expectations and requirements there was little training given which leads to periods where you are unsure what to do. Some of the staff are approachable and helpful. However management leaves a lot to be desired, whilst they are on the backs of team members when there is little for them to do they just sit around and do nothing.

Toxic Higher ups

You're basically a robot. No care in the world about workers, just sell sell and upsell as much as you can.Pay is poor and they expect you to devote all of your time to GBK. Training is a handful and tedious.

Pros

free food

Cons

long hours, no real family culture they offer, rubbish pay for what you have to do

I worked there for 3 years

I do miss working at gbk. I was a Grill chef but started as a kp. The only problem was I would do 55-60hr weeks because we didn't have enough staff and the management wouldn't hire anyone unless they were perfect. At this point it was unhealthy and made me depressed. However I do miss my little team I used to managed and all the laughs we had that made my job worth doing.

Pros

Staff food. Christmas fun fund

Cons

Difficulty hiring new staff

Do not waste your time

The reason I gave one star is that there’s no option of less or with minus.I was working there for 2 weeks, I did around 90 hours. I did not get paid. It’s more than A year now. It was the one from Ealing Broadway. Do not waste your time. Also there’s nothing to learn.

Pros

No pros

Cons

Unfair and full of unforfilled promises

Worked for gbk down the bay and loved the people I worked with and enjoyed my time there. After the bay restaurant got shut down I got sent to the one in town and it was shambles. Unfair hour's, disorganised and no care for staff.I got into a bit of predicament with a staff member and it involved my sexuality. It got taken so far and then nothing was done after I poured my heart out with the truth.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Very long hours

A joke

Made redundant the day they told us without no notice, it’s a fun place to work however it get very busy! I feel like the head office doesn’t care about it’s employee otherwise they wouldn’t just make 650 redundant in 1 minute voice mail. A lot of the people in my branch worked there for many years even up to 10 years! I feel like The company will fail to stay afloat for much longer

Pros

Staff food

Cons

They don’t seem to care about it’s employees

It was good

To work with my team was amazing, but GBK has 0 hours contract only so preper yourself they promise everything to get you but they will give nothing back, today they fired 680 people without any notice. Redundancy immediately. Communication is really poor between staff and company. Salary was good. Training after training every month. Don't expect too much it's a slave work you may have to work from 9am till 11pm but they definitely will give you break (up to 4 hours) never knows how long. You can't plan anything. Rota can be changed every day.

Pros

Free lunch (point system you get food what your points let you eat depends on worked hours

Cons

Liars

Horrible organisation and harassing boss

Worked in the Edinburgh restaurant and the general manager has made working there awful.He would make horrible, se..xist and ra...cist remarks and shout at employees as well as bully them, mostly just the female employees. He'd make inappropriate jokes with male staff members about female employees too. Hr/senior management did not care at all so I guess they condone that behaviour and are happy to be represented by that. Honestly would avoid as they don't care about employees at all and hire men like that to manage young girls, completely disgraceful.

Cons

Everything about this place was awful

Was rubbish place to work wasn't happy there at all

Was a rubbish place to work everyone had a bad attitude and was mainly kids who didn't give a rats and management was very lack lustre not a good place to work for ur mental health

Pros

Free beer

Cons

Was a rubbish place to work

Lovely environment

Enjoyed working at GBK greatly! Friendly staff, though a zero hour contract is a downer, the management are more than happy to give you whatever you ask and are huge people pleasers. Felt like a big family and was nice work for average pay.

Pros

Free food, great environment

Cons

Zero hour contracts

Enjoyable but demanding

Other than a few personal problems with management, it was a decent job. Pays decently well, the culture is great, customers can tip well. It can be really face-paced on a really busy day, but there can also be very slow days where there are not many customers walking through the door. The job requires you to learn fast but your colleagues will do their best to help you learn as fast as possible. Ultimately an enjoyable work experience but it can be some demanding times.

Pros

Free lunches, tips

Cons

Hours can sometimes be long, some customers aren't the most grateful

comparative

I worked there quite long and staffs ware great. I enjoyed my time there. we used to have staff party every four weeks and it was fun. we used to have free food each shift

Pros

free food

Great fun company

from the start it was great, great training and great team to work with. Just a pity i didnt stay longer. I had to stop working because of illness and couldnt carry on with my position which was my choice.

Fun, but tough

As with any hospitality job, the fast-paced environment, and busy services can mean this is a demanding job, however all the team I met over several sites were fun-loving and friendly!

Good stores no support

Gbk stores are good to work in great people but when ot come to Coronavirus head office have supported the salary team but bot willing to support the 0 hr contract which unless ur management that is what you get. So if you applying for management avoid as they don’t care if u gave a mortgage or rent or dependents. If your 0 hrs then they give 0 hoots bout you or ur financial situation restaurants r great head office have not realise that 0 hr contract staff is the lifeblood of the business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement

Compare Gourmet Burger Kitchen with

• Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?