Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Gourmet Burger Kitchen Pay & benefits reviews

United Kingdom154 reviews

Clear
2.9Pay & benefits

tips can be really really good

pay is monthly but you have acsses to 40% off your wages which is handy. everyone’s friendly and pay is okay but hours can be long and prone to short staffed but training and skills are easily learnable

Pros

free meal every shift friendly co workers reasonable managers

Cons

takes a while to set in shift may be bomarded depending on what hours you agree to

amazing

great people, mamangement. everyone was always kind and we had great staff in every area of the work place. good pay and although 0 hours everyone got the hours they wanted.

Insights into Gourmet Burger Kitchen

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Support from manager

Waste of time

I was offered a position as grill chef with full time hours, but the first few weeks I was there the most shifts I had in one week was 3, by the time I got paid & payed out rent & my bills I couldn't really afford travel from basildon to the lakeside branch & the managers or the head chef didn't care, I had high hopes for GBK when I started but what a let down

Pros

Free lunch

Official response from Gourmet Burger Kitchen

1 March 2022
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience with GBK. We value your feedback and I would be keen to learn more about your specific comments and how we can improve.Please feel free to contact me direct on jane.cartwright@boparanrestaurants.com

It was nice until we got bought buy Boporan

I really enjoyed my time at gbk, there was a good emphasis on teamwork and colleague relationships and everyone got along. It’s frustrating though as it’s hard to move up and raises are all the same, a bit demotivating when some colleagues are there to mess about and get paid the same. Bonuses were great before boporan (£1 extra per hour if your restaurant did well in a certain period, an extra 4 weeks paid holiday on top of existing holiday if you were there 10 years etc) when we changed over that was all scrapped. Now there are none. Interview process was really chill when I joined but after boporan it became strict and almost uncomfortable (managers have to ask a specific set of questions instead of it being a conversation). Another thing I hated was how untrustworthy the company is to their staff who’ve been there years, it was a really strange shift to boporan… I just kept thinking wow I’ve been here 5 years !!

Pros

Free meals on shift, very understandable management

Workers are nice but the management is dreadful

The co-workers are always uplifting but the management expect too much. Worked Back of the House and at times it was boring and depressing since there’s nothing to do. New Workers come in every week too so job security was bad. Would be very difficult if it’s your first job

Pros

Free Food, Decent Pay

Cons

Long Hours, Depressing atmosphere, Poor management

Fun and caring workplaxe

It was great to work for GBK cambs, the team is great , the manager very professional and caring, very flexible, and hard working. I highly recommend the place, there is progression in place, for those who would like to learn and improve.

Pros

Free staff lunches, flexible shifts

Cons

There are long hours, but thats standard for kitchen work

Toxic Higher ups

You're basically a robot. No care in the world about workers, just sell sell and upsell as much as you can.Pay is poor and they expect you to devote all of your time to GBK. Training is a handful and tedious.

Pros

free food

Cons

long hours, no real family culture they offer, rubbish pay for what you have to do

Do not waste your time

The reason I gave one star is that there’s no option of less or with minus.I was working there for 2 weeks, I did around 90 hours. I did not get paid. It’s more than A year now. It was the one from Ealing Broadway. Do not waste your time. Also there’s nothing to learn.

Pros

No pros

It was good

To work with my team was amazing, but GBK has 0 hours contract only so preper yourself they promise everything to get you but they will give nothing back, today they fired 680 people without any notice. Redundancy immediately. Communication is really poor between staff and company. Salary was good. Training after training every month. Don't expect too much it's a slave work you may have to work from 9am till 11pm but they definitely will give you break (up to 4 hours) never knows how long. You can't plan anything. Rota can be changed every day.

Pros

Free lunch (point system you get food what your points let you eat depends on worked hours

Cons

Liars

Enjoyable but demanding

Other than a few personal problems with management, it was a decent job. Pays decently well, the culture is great, customers can tip well. It can be really face-paced on a really busy day, but there can also be very slow days where there are not many customers walking through the door. The job requires you to learn fast but your colleagues will do their best to help you learn as fast as possible. Ultimately an enjoyable work experience but it can be some demanding times.

Pros

Free lunches, tips

Cons

Hours can sometimes be long, some customers aren't the most grateful

comparative

I worked there quite long and staffs ware great. I enjoyed my time there. we used to have staff party every four weeks and it was fun. we used to have free food each shift

Pros

free food

Good stores no support

Gbk stores are good to work in great people but when ot come to Coronavirus head office have supported the salary team but bot willing to support the 0 hr contract which unless ur management that is what you get. So if you applying for management avoid as they don’t care if u gave a mortgage or rent or dependents. If your 0 hrs then they give 0 hoots bout you or ur financial situation restaurants r great head office have not realise that 0 hr contract staff is the lifeblood of the business

Productive and fun culture.

Excellent fun and hard working culture within this company. You have to work hard within the team, but it provides you with lots of laughs, and is very rewarding. Opportunities to grow within the team are there if you choose to show a passion for the company, and there are great benefits to go along with the job.

Not great company but awesome people

I’ve had great experience in GBK Bristol, salary wasn’t extraordinary but all the rest was great. Advantages such as meals and staff parties, trainings, possibilities to grow within the company were plenty. I recommend

Horrible place to work

It was good when I first started. But travelling to the Trafford centre from oldham for a 9am shift to finish at 8pm and miss your buses home is horrible. Then being able to work in central oldham and have to do manager duties on a supervisors wage is pretty bad. Your always getting shouted at and never praised. The current manager at the trafford centre is a bully and a pretty tyrant.

fun, busy workplace

This job can be stressful at times due to dealing with difficult customers, the hours are normally quite long. The people you work with are easy to get along with, overall its a fun and easy environment to work in.

Pros

free meals

Cons

long hours.

Udders!

Not the best company to work for. It is just over minimum wage and nobody really cares. The food is good but you should only consider working for GBK as a stopgap whilst you find a better company to work for.

Good for the start, exhausting in long term

The hygiene of this place was exceptional - everything was cleaned daily, and none of the ingredients was served past its use-by date. The staff meals could be bought for points that we earned each working hour, and filled our stomachs for long hours. On the minus side, the wage was quite low, and working hours so long to only leave time for travel (often long because of crowded location) and sleep.

Great Workplace

Ry the manager at Canterbury was the best manager I ever had. Progression opportunities are good and the relationships between workers are great. Loved working here and would return in a heartbeat.

Pros

Free food

Good Work Place

Relaxed workplace atmosphere with free food on shift and hour long breaks as standard. working hours are really flexible and fit into my schedule around other commitments.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Rude Management

It’s a trap

After 5+ years, this company pays no respect to their front of house workers. There’s a constant change in management as most are unprofessional. DO NOT SIGN A ZERO HOUR CONTRACT - GBK’s interpretation of it will change as suitable to their needs with no regard for your livelihood. There is very little/poor room to grow, and staff are expected to float/cover all positions of front of house despite inconsistent training as majority is done through videos. Minimal pay with long hours and shifts will vary as any “flexibility” is abused. Rota planning is up until a few hours before the week commences and no benefits apart from staff discount. The only pro is that you get paid every two weeks but don’t let that cloud your judgement. Would avoid at all cost, any issue they palm you off.

Pros

Two-weekly pay

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage, no progression, contract abuse

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gourmet Burger Kitchen. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Gourmet Burger Kitchen with

• Gourmet Burger Kitchen
  • Pay & benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?