Govia Thameslink Railway

Govia Thameslink Railway Job security & advancement reviews

OK place to work. Long hours but teams are pretty supportive. Good working atmosphere. Reasonable level of job security. Limited opportunity for learning or progressing to more senior roles.
Good Professional experience with kind supportive colleagues. Time management and friendly environment. More career development chances with further exploration of ones criteria.
Pros
No Pressure Handling
Cons
Long Hours
There was a bullying culture when I worked there, most unpleasant. A lot of aggression in the work place, there were some great people, but mostly nepotism prevailed and unfair practices used, especially when promotions were available.
Too many senior management got offended when challenged. Very old fashioned and traditional in terms of the senior management team. No ability to be new and innovative
Too much politics within the company which result in staff not progressing or developing as individuals. It’s all about who you know or if you’re good at pleasing management.
Good company, but low salary compared to similar roles in other TOC’s. Good to start as 1st job but need to struggle hard to move up to desired position
Was very interesting and would definitely recommend, full of things to do, the staff there are incredible to work with. They were extremely generous and helped me out a-lot.
During my time with Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) I spent time in many different areas of the business ranging from Engineering to Planning and Safety. I visited the ROC (Rail Operating Centre) in Three Bridges and experienced all the different Route Controllers roles, the Finance Teams and Social Media Team. I visited Selhurst train care depot and saw how the trains are deep cleaned, how the different parts inside and out are repaired and replaced. I had an experience in the train simulator and got a feel for what it is like to drive a train out on the track. I also went out for a cab ride in a Thameslink Railway train and got to see the driver operating the train first hand. On another day I went out with an On Board Supervisor and got to experience how tickets are sold and the passengers are kept safe on the trains. The week was overall very informative and fun and I will definitely use the skills I learnt into my career.
Shift pattern was awful and morale was very low. Progression was slow and working life took over life in general. More interested in numbers than employees
Good company to work for and is very useful for mums as the company gives flexibility. This is the most convenient job for me never had any problems working for this company.
The people are ok but management are to harsh on staff. They don’t push staff in right directions. Also mangers don’t like to praise staff when passengers have said good things about them. They like to mention the bad
Pros
Free travel
I did work experience for the company, never actually worked for them in any way shape or form. I never received a salary from this company as I was not contracted to work for them.
Work hard, play hard. A company which does allow a lot of career progression. Head offices are friendly, you have appraisal every year to discuss career development, personal development also.
Pros
Career progession
Great company great travel benefits, well-paid company for even the most entry-level positions. Great staff, Mostly are friendly. Undertake drugs and alcohol test before you can be employed, so your more likely to be safe in the workplace and work around like-minded responsible trust-worthy people. Feel like a person, not a number. Feel a part of life & society, making a significant contribution to society, the transport industry.
Pros
Salary, benefits, Hours, Weekend higher rate of pay
Cons
Shift work, Patterns can make work life balance odd
Govia Thameslink Railway offer good benefits and salary packages, however like many large organisations, management varies from good to very poor. There is a bullying culture present at certain levels whereby managers are chastised if they speak up regarding this culture. Progression is possible at GTR, and many staff have progressed at some point of their career. You are given free staff travel across 5 networks and so does your family. Also national travel is discounted by 75%. Salary packages are competitive also.
Pros
Free travel across 5 railway companies, discounted national travel, good salary package
Cons
Long hours, poor shift patterns, not family friendly
working for this company has given a lot of experience and it will give the extra skills to work in any administrative role.