Govia Thameslink Railway

Govia Thameslink Railway Pay & benefits reviews

Good Professional experience with kind supportive colleagues. Time management and friendly environment. More career development chances with further exploration of ones criteria.
Pros
No Pressure Handling
Cons
Long Hours
Good company, but low salary compared to similar roles in other TOC’s. Good to start as 1st job but need to struggle hard to move up to desired position
A typical days work is to service and maintain the rolling stock to meet their scheduled maintenance. Repetitive tasks Very Health and Safety focused
Pros
Free / Reduced travel costs
Cons
Very repetitive
Management not fair and not fully equipped to promote equality. A lot of inconsistencies in dealing with staff tantamount to victimisation and harassment.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Unfair MANAGEMENT
The people are ok but management are to harsh on staff. They don’t push staff in right directions. Also mangers don’t like to praise staff when passengers have said good things about them. They like to mention the bad
Pros
Free travel
I did work experience for the company, never actually worked for them in any way shape or form. I never received a salary from this company as I was not contracted to work for them.
Good company to work for but it’s gone downhill quick, morale in the company is at a record low due to restructuring, lack of aspirational and skilled management, no new ideas being brought to the table and staff are not recognised at all. No bonus for staff since it became GTR. Hopefully come 2021 things will improve with a new franchise hopefully taking over as change is long overdue.
Pros
Steady income, free travel
Cons
Poor management and lack of team leaders, low morale all round
Great company great travel benefits, well-paid company for even the most entry-level positions. Great staff, Mostly are friendly. Undertake drugs and alcohol test before you can be employed, so your more likely to be safe in the workplace and work around like-minded responsible trust-worthy people. Feel like a person, not a number. Feel a part of life & society, making a significant contribution to society, the transport industry.
Pros
Salary, benefits, Hours, Weekend higher rate of pay
Cons
Shift work, Patterns can make work life balance odd
For someone with no family or friends this is a perfect place to work as the shift patterns are all over the place you cant make plans because the shifts change with 12hrs notice. If you have a family its not a good job as i was never seeing my wife and kids.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
lllllooooonnnnngggggg hours
Govia Thameslink Railway offer good benefits and salary packages, however like many large organisations, management varies from good to very poor. There is a bullying culture present at certain levels whereby managers are chastised if they speak up regarding this culture. Progression is possible at GTR, and many staff have progressed at some point of their career. You are given free staff travel across 5 networks and so does your family. Also national travel is discounted by 75%. Salary packages are competitive also.
Pros
Free travel across 5 railway companies, discounted national travel, good salary package
Cons
Long hours, poor shift patterns, not family friendly
Opportunities to advance, overtime available if you want it, Free travel and money off other train services, Free uniform. Able to become part of a big network, by meeting different staff across the network and on training courses, Safety critical roles, Get paid every 4 weeks. Beware the management.
Pros
Free travel, free uniform, get paid every 4 weeks, meet lots of new people. Learn about rail operations.
Cons
Early starts late finishes, Bullying culture is rife amongst some managers.
Jobs salary is not so good. I have learned good customer service skills. I enjoy my job as this job is very exciting where everyday i will have to do the different types of work.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
poor salary
The typical day at work would be despatching trains and working with customers on a daily basis. During work I maintain security checks and making sure the platform is clean to a high standard.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management/Long Hours
Good working enviorment , flexible shifts, very good relations with all the coleagues. Great benefits, good management, supportive staff and good chance to gain a lot of experience in the railway.
Good for experience, good to meet new people, hours can be differcult. Friendly customers/ non friendly. Good to build up confidence and money skills.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Customers
Working for Govia Thameslink had is benefits but also had a downside to it. The benefits to working for this company was the free travel you obtained by being an employee there and the wide variety of people you were able to meet on a day to day basis. However poor managment of employees let this company down as I saw countless colleagues bullied out of their job. A typical day at work would be providing an excellent level of customer service to people on the platform, this was my favourite part of the job as I felt satisfied knowing I had delivered that customer service to the best of my ability. As a Station Assistant we were also required to be safety critical as we were involved in the safe movement of trains by giving signals to the driver for him to use to safely leave the station.
Pros
Free Travel
Cons
Poor Management.
Everyday is different. Fast paced and can get very hectic. Over 1 million passengers a year pass through my Station. Changes in the industry adding to pressure.
Pros
Free and reduced rate travel
Cons
shift work, and can be very tough during service disruption, not much time off at weekends.