Govia Thameslink Railway

Govia Thameslink Railway Work-life balance reviews

OK place to work. Long hours but teams are pretty supportive. Good working atmosphere. Reasonable level of job security. Limited opportunity for learning or progressing to more senior roles.
Good Professional experience with kind supportive colleagues. Time management and friendly environment. More career development chances with further exploration of ones criteria.
Pros
No Pressure Handling
Cons
Long Hours
Too many senior management got offended when challenged. Very old fashioned and traditional in terms of the senior management team. No ability to be new and innovative
Too much politics within the company which result in staff not progressing or developing as individuals. It’s all about who you know or if you’re good at pleasing management.
Good company, but low salary compared to similar roles in other TOC’s. Good to start as 1st job but need to struggle hard to move up to desired position
GTRailway is what you make it. There are lots of opportunities to introduce ideas and new processes. Everyone is friendly and willing to listen. You get the support as long as you stay focused.
I had alot of freedom in this role. You are left to your own accord as long as you don't make any mistakes. The hardest thing that I found with the job was the shift work. There is always alot of overtime available. The most enjoyable part of the job was driving the trains and interacting with customers.
I have nothing to say. Can't create an account without filling this in. It would be nice if this was optional. Why is this not optional? and now to fill up the rest of the 150 characters.
A typical days work is to service and maintain the rolling stock to meet their scheduled maintenance. Repetitive tasks Very Health and Safety focused
Pros
Free / Reduced travel costs
Cons
Very repetitive
Shift pattern was awful and morale was very low. Progression was slow and working life took over life in general. More interested in numbers than employees
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Govia Thameslink Railway?
I used to work as a Railway Enforcement Officer for Thameslink, left about 6 months ago now, shambles of a place, mangement engage in favouritism, cannot make a decision on anything, keep certain staff out of the loop, needs to be looked at by an independant outside body. No work life balance, dreadful shift pattern, certain staff members get stuck with all the bad shifts were as the chosen officers get all the good shifts. Keep away ! PROS; free travel. CONS; Bad working practices.
Good company to work for and is very useful for mums as the company gives flexibility. This is the most convenient job for me never had any problems working for this company.
I enjoyed my time with this company and if it wasn't for the management not giving clear instructions i would still be in this workplace. I can explain in person.
Pros
helping customers
Cons
management
I did work experience for the company, never actually worked for them in any way shape or form. I never received a salary from this company as I was not contracted to work for them.
I felt as if where i come from staff did not want train me for my role, the managers expect you to shut up and learn from yourself....team leading is very poor the guy needs to learn how to speak with customers and teach the new staff what they need to do for their role...i have seen and heard a lot of people been out of their job...money is good , the hours is just rubbish....i would not reccomend any one working here. I dislike people who boast about what they are like "am a team leader i manage everyone here" but i personally think team leader did not know what he was doing. Rude customer service and rude team managing. management is poor when there is a problem at work place they dont pick up but will call you back couple of days later! If there is a problem with staff and you tell the manager they would not just care, managers listen to one side of story! This is what annoys me at school we always been taught to respect one another & work as a team, but this company has done the complete opposite.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Work life, management & team leading
Work hard, play hard. A company which does allow a lot of career progression. Head offices are friendly, you have appraisal every year to discuss career development, personal development also.
Pros
Career progession
Great company great travel benefits, well-paid company for even the most entry-level positions. Great staff, Mostly are friendly. Undertake drugs and alcohol test before you can be employed, so your more likely to be safe in the workplace and work around like-minded responsible trust-worthy people. Feel like a person, not a number. Feel a part of life & society, making a significant contribution to society, the transport industry.
Pros
Salary, benefits, Hours, Weekend higher rate of pay
Cons
Shift work, Patterns can make work life balance odd
Depends on where you work. You might have a busy station or a really quite station. You are left to your own. No management, which can be a pro and a con. A con if you want to progress
Pros
Discount on travel
Cons
Not busy
For someone with no family or friends this is a perfect place to work as the shift patterns are all over the place you cant make plans because the shifts change with 12hrs notice. If you have a family its not a good job as i was never seeing my wife and kids.
Pros
Free travel
Cons
lllllooooonnnnngggggg hours
Southern has a high retention of staff. Job railway based roles are difficult and can have a major impact on home/life balance, could o more to boost community within the company. But overall it is good, high retention of staff
Pros
free travel, laid back staff
Cons
shift work
Govia Thameslink Railway offer good benefits and salary packages, however like many large organisations, management varies from good to very poor. There is a bullying culture present at certain levels whereby managers are chastised if they speak up regarding this culture. Progression is possible at GTR, and many staff have progressed at some point of their career. You are given free staff travel across 5 networks and so does your family. Also national travel is discounted by 75%. Salary packages are competitive also.
Pros
Free travel across 5 railway companies, discounted national travel, good salary package
Cons
Long hours, poor shift patterns, not family friendly