Grand Union Housing Group

Grand Union Housing Group Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews

Lost their purpose

This used to be a good place to work for, but as time went on the workload got higher and I felt the team was split.Focused more on quantity over quality and this impacted the people we were supporting.Best part of the job was making a lasting impact on people's lives by improving their homes and quality of life.

Pros

Supporting people

Cons

Long hours, workload

Caring and supportive workplace

Having worked at Grand Union for the last 2 and a half years, I can confidently say they care about employees. There is a huge positive focus on mental health and they offer lots of support in different ways, flexible working, health referrals, training mental health champions etc. I started as an apprentice so I got to see first-hand how much Grand Union do to provide training and development opportunities for all employees. It's a great place to work :)

Pros

Office, development opportunities, recruitment process

Insights into Grand Union Housing Group

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Unfair treatment of trades people.

As a trades worker at Grand Union Housing Group for many years there is a Us & Them mentality with management/office staff and trades people.Blatant unfair treatment of trades staff having a weeks less holiday than everyone else in the company.Poorly paid when compared with similar companies.HR department lack any real care for trades staff and just offer lip service.Immediate management are hamstrung from above and unable to make any positive change.

Pros

It’s a job.

Cons

42.5 hours P/W and still expected to travel in your own time.

lacking correct support for mental health

For the first three years I enjoyed my role and did it well. I was a good team with a caring team leader.It was suppose to be a charity ethos with a caring attitude toward their customers. It then started to gradually change to becoming more business-like with emphasis more on number crunching, statistics, meticulous clinical administrative duties with decreasing energy and time spent on the personal touch with the customer.My mental health started to deteriorate which affected my performance and attendance. However, instead of supporting me in the correct way I was being penalized for what resulted from my mental health issues. This went on for the best part of 18 months and more until I eventually felt forced to resign. I felt bitter and extremely angry which then had a knock on effect to my already deteriorating mental health.

Pros

enjoyed working with technology and helping people

Cons

Total lack of support for me from managers/team leaders! Complete ignorance of how to deal with, Manage an employee with mental health issues!

Avoid unless desperate

Having worked here for serveral months, it is clear that this is a nasty place to work if you have any mental health condition or are different in anyway. Hard work and results mean nothing if you are not in the cult of personality. Avoid working here unless there is no alternative.

Pros

Site and Facilities

Cons

Staff, Atmosphere, Work Load, Lack of Respect, Discrimination

Enjoy my job 100%

Really enjoy working here, the staff are friendly and the salary is good too. Only downful is speed on getting gear for the jobs but other than that can honestly say I enjoy working here.

Pros

Bonus, salary, staff

Cons

Speed

Challenging

EXCELLENT approach not adaptated by all . IT very good equipment issued too. Need to look at dynamics within team, and manage. Mental health considered and open . .

Pros

K2 is lush and IT and remote fac ecellent

Cons

Salary, oppions and development

Excellent culture very supportive and fast moving

Amazing place to work, never looked back. Although the pace is fast and there's plenty of work to do its a lovely environment and the staff are very supportive of each other. The HR team are amazing from interview to induction (and beyond). Great work life balance through agile working opportunities and sense of fun around the office when we are all together. If you get the chance to work for Grand Union Housing Group jump at it you wont regret it.

Varied and interesting

I worked as a Housing Officer and Sales Advisor over the period I was with Grand Union. It was varied and very busy, know 2 days where the same. Interesting job

Supportive and empowering organisation

GUHG is truly the best place I have worked, I feel valued and trusted to carry out my duties, I have autonomy to work on what I feel will benefit the organisation and our customers. We have a genuine 'what we do matters' culture and we certainly put our customers at the heart of what we do. There has been a lot of change over recent years, which I feel has been managed well and staff have been supported through this period. There are so many great people who work at GUHG, the people make it a great place to be, everyone treats each other with respect and we have fun too! Our Chief Executive is an inspirational leader and cares deeply about her staff and her customers, her 'door' is always open if you need a chat. To top all of this we now have an amazing new office and touch down points which make you feel 'awesome' the minute you walk through the door; I love going to work, and feel energised and motivated to succeed.

A well balanced, fair, people focussed, committed to personal & professional development organisation.

Had the privilege of 10 amazing years working at GUHG. An organisation which is absolutely committed to its values, morals and principles. Particularly around respect, fairness, trust and honesty.

Pros

Personal and Professional development opportunities. Very fair salaries which represent experience, knowledge and responsibility of the role. Very flexible and agile working opportunities.

Cons

None.

Great company to work for

I have been at this organisation for over 10 years and yes there have been changes over the years, these have improved the service we provide to the customers and to grow the business. There are good training opportunities, agile working, flexible, good health benefits and support from management.

A culture of trust

I have worked in various organisations before settling at Grand Union Housing and can say confidently that Grand Union Housing truly get what it means to instil trust in a work culture. We are totally agile which allows everyone to work at their own pace and in a ‘window’ that works for them. Everyone is approachable and encouraged to take ownership of any situation. No fear with taking risks. Awesome organisation.

Genuinely brilliant place to work

I've worked at GUHG for nearly 7 years, it's a brilliant place to work and in recent years has bought in agile working which has been brilliant for managing a work life balance. CEO genuinely cares about everyone in the organisation and there are lots of oppertunitys for training and development. It's a really happy place to work and "what we do matters" is is a genuine staff ethos that we all take on.

Pros

Agile working, friendly staff, working somewhere that makes a difference, good benefit package, training and development

Great organisation to work for

It is a shame that only those with really negative experiences write these sorts of reviews. GUHG has over 300 staff so the outside world is not getting a balanced view here. I have worked for Grand Union for over 10 years and can say that it is the best organisation that I have ever worked for - I am one of many long-serving staff who I am sure would feel the same. The ethos, reason we are here and intention is without question in my opinion. When GUHG participated, we were in the Top 100 Best Not for Profit Companies to work for, for many years. The Exec are accessible and extremely approachable. A number of staff have returned to the organisation after having left - I think this is a fantastic indicator of how good an organisation is to work for.

Pros

Lots of training and development, secondment opportunities, really friendly, parking, working for a great cause

Cons

Unfortunately not progression opportunities for all due to size, but lots of examples of career changers, probably need to be more challenging of really negative people!

Great if you’re an apprentice but otherwise don’t bother

Managers don’t stick around, HR are unsupportive, don’t follow basic procedures and then lie about it and their new ‘transparency’ culture is clear as mud! It’s a shame because the basic principles are there but they are keeping the wrong people and getting rid of hard working dedicated people. What they do does matter and they do their best for their customers but they treat their staff very poorly

Pros

Free tea and coffee, nice offices, some lovely people

Cons

HR lie, staff don’t feel valued

Terrible workplace culture

Lack of promotion for employees unless your face fits. No desire to retain employees and develop them along with the business. Certain managers run heads of service and HR bend to their will right or wrong. Certain teams are being managed so poorly people are leaving every month. Not sure if the CEO et al realise or even care how badly some teams are being run, people doing 2/3 jobs can’t get anymore money. But certain managers can get pay rises for positions they aren’t necessarily fully qualified for and things are amended to fit this new pay rise with no regard for affected employees. Jobs advertised and those in team completely clueless this was happening. No discussions no encouragement to throw your hat in the ring, often told not good enough to apply.

Pros

Modern clean offices, able to work flexible hours

Cons

Poor promotion opportunities, ridiculous static pay scale. Management don’t care.

Not a good place to work

Bullying culture, performance managed through fear. There was a great culture until about 12 months ago. Staff treated with contempt and that says a lot about how they treat customers

Pros

Cons

Poor communication

Social housing experts

Great company within social housing moving through a lot of unification and bettering themselves as a company. Very understanding of tenants and provide many services rather than just being a landlord.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grand Union Housing Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement