Grant Thornton

Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

Better progression for fee earning/client facing workers rather than those in the support function. Great focus on well-being and mental health support.
Pros
Great focus on well-being / flexibility / social
Cons
No progression in my team / time for development
The partners don’t appreciate the support staff and are constantly changing the structures from pa’s through to marketing, salaries are below market rates and discretionary bonus payments are not in line with other companies, great people generally but very limited career development
Pros
Some great support staff
Cons
No progression and salaries behind many others
Official response from Grant Thornton
6 January 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are disappointed to hear that this was your experience at Grant Thornton. We aim to provide the best experience for our people and provide continuous opportunities to learn and grow. We will use this feedback to make Grant Thornton an even better place to work.
Great place to work. Ok salary and benefits. People are welcoming although there is a high turnaround of staff in some departments. Lovely building and close to city centre.
Pros
Lovely office and views, flexible working
Hot desking meant that you sat next to different people every day unless you got in early enough. Training was difficult when not sitting next to your mentor. Working from home was allowed which destroyed the team spirit and again was of no use if you were training. Management was non existent, left to get on with it and the remote manager never spoke to me in 6 months so the end of year review was a joke. Enjoyed the subsided social events, I.e. Christmas dinner dance and summer bbq, as well as bowling, climbing, escape rooms etc, all paid for by GT. Staff were helpful.
Pros
Free refreshments, flexibility, working from home, modern office, decent pay
Cons
Lack of management and support
The onboarding process was not very positive but once on board I found the company quite reasonable. The training was very comprehensive and there was plenty of support from more experienced staff. Once in lockdown, it became clear that the contract would not become a permanent one.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
The office is not in the city centre.
Support services. Negative - Pay and bonus is low. The company is quite dull and lacks diversity. No money for social activities/team building. Positive - work/life balance possible, not much need to work overtime
Great place to work although non fee earning roles are subject to restructure every few years which can be exhausting! Great development opportunities and for the most part great teams and individuals to work with and learn from.
A typical day - extremely varied as I managed a case load of 150. What learned- a thorough grounding ( mainly on the job) of Personal Insolvency processes, in addition to producing accounts and Chartered Accountancy requirements such as commerciality & time recording. Management- good and very approachable at all levels. Culture- collaboration and fostering of ideas and an openess to new ideas and technology, to improve the product delivered to clients.
Best place i have ever worked... They make the effort to make everyone feel welcome and appreciated. Not got a bad word to say about them. Lovely people with a great atmosphere, very relaxed but stil very professional.
Pros
Lots of perks, too many to list
Cons
None... i have nothing bad to say about the company 6 months in...
Challenging financial targets but surrounded and supported by great people. I enjoyed my time here and met some incredible people at the top of their field. You will learn a lot.
I felt I grew and developed more in the 18 months with the firm than I did in 13 years in a previous company. The culture is good and the people were all great to work with.
I have been associated with the company since last 6 months. Company is ok to work with. Decent exposure to the midsize clients. work life balance is ok.
Employed on a fixed term contract I felt welcome and included from day one. The sense of support amongst every colleague was immense. Management were very supportive but really encouraged people to use their own initiative.
Hardworking but culture is very relaxed offering agile working. Staff are friendly and always willing to help. Busy office, lots to do, never seems enough hours in the day
A typical day at work is starting at 9 AM and finishing at 7/8 PM, but on the other side, you learn a lot about accountancy, audit, national and IFRS requirements.
This place is terrible and I mean woeful to work for. when starting you are given 2 weeks training where you are lead into a false sense of security that it's a fun place to work. It's really not it's the same thing day in day out and it's boring as well as that there is no chance to progress unless you are willing to kiss the leaders and management backside .upon taking the job I was told it was flexible hours and could work from early morning until 3.30pm so could be home to get kids from school, instead I did this and got a warning as no matter what time you start you have to stay until 4pm earliest If you want a job that is boring and no chance to progress this is for you otherwise I would stay clear.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the job
A day in Grant Thornton is never the same as the last and always busy, my day consists of a team catch up with my Business Support Team in the morning, a quick maintenance check around the office and then get to work; Finance Supplier Invoices Dairy Management Client AML Billing Maintainence Contracts Facilties
Pros
Pizza & Beer each month and Payday Breakfast
Cons
Work life balance, undertsaffed
The workloads were disproportionate to the job title and the salary. Another office in Manchester was opened where there were people hired with less experience but paid c£5,000pa more than people who had been in Belfast for 10years+. Not a good company to work for.
Typical second-tier national firm of accountants. More friendly and easy-going than the Big 4. Job included a training contract, so they paid for my tax course. Wasn't for me though.
Great management who allowed the ability for roles to evolve for those that were interested in diversifying their skills. Marketing was a new area of specialism for auditors and it was embraced.
Pros
Ability to grow with the company
Cons
the relocation to Milton Keynes
Overall this is a good company to work for, staff are friendly and helpful. Good onsite facilities. Salary could be higher but overall Grant Thornton is a great place to work.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No job progression.
  1. Employee reviews