Great Grottos Ltd.

Great Grottos Ltd. Employee Reviews

As Santa in the grotto I enjoyed playing the part and making people happy. If that's the type of person you are then you will enjoy this job but if not then don't do it.You can be working for upto 6 hours without a break and on a busy day it can be non stop.The costume can be very warm and you need a sense of humour to keep you going especially when you have technical issues causing delays and angry parents/upset kids.
Pros
A chance to make people smile and be part of the Christmas experience
Cons
Potentially long hour's and no breaks to go to the loo.
Overall a really fun job, worked with great people, job was fairly simple, received training a few weeks before the job started.
The Wendover/Aylesbury Grotto is an excellent place to work. The whole team is lovely and the working environment is healthy and happy, just how you’d hope a Christmas job would be. The customers can be slightly harder to deal with. You will on occasion have to deal with and placate some very aggressive customers (at least until the manager gets there to take them off your hands). If you struggle with conflict then retail (even when tinted with Christmas magic) may not be the most suitable career path.
Pros
Lovely Team, Absolute angel of a site manager, Plenty of cool people to meet
Cons
Angry/Entitled customers
The job is fairly fun, if you love working with kids and children. Expect what you imagine an elf role would be like - dealing with children, parents and family (and all the pros and cons associated with that), dealing with stock, little bit of acting and presenting skills. It pays minimum wage, provides good experience with working in customer service and with kids, and is a good seasonal/holiday job for people like students or seasonal workers. You also tend to meet really nice coworkers and have a fairly fun assessment day I would definitely work there again, as a side hustle, but this is definitely not a long term deal. Also, depending on you're location, you could be out in the cold for a while and on your feet for most of the day
Pros
flexible, temporary, nice company/people, work experience, fun job, presenting.
Cons
Long hours, on feet for a while, very busy, complaint handling.
Suited me perfectly as I worked on a holiday park so the season finished & this started! Lovely making memories for children and adults alike. Reasonably priced so was nice to feel like you weren’t ripping people off. I feel the training was great although a little rushed and for newcomers could be a little daunting. I worked 4 years with the company.
It is what it is, a seasonal job as an elf. It’s great fun and Great Grottos do everything they can to make sure things run smoothly for you with great support at the end of the phone.
• Meeting and greeting children and their families, admitting them into the Grotto and maintaining an orderly queue. • Ensure each child is photographed with Santa. • Closing the queue for Santa’s breaks or end of day, as instructed by your Manager. The staff members made the job enjoyable.
Not a full time job, more of a stop-gap between jobs. Enjoyable team, very much providing an experience, playing characters like an acting job really.
pay was kinda bad but it’s good for youngers to do as a start off job. met loads of new people but days became stressful. shifts were quite bad aswell. supervisor was barely in and quit on the last weeks which threw it off a bit.
The management team were really lovely and helpful. This job is perfect for those still at school who are looking for a weekend job. Shifts are not too long which is nice if you are balancing with school/college work. The team I worked with was so lovely and meant it was a great working environment.
Lovely team at the grotto lack of support from grotto manager to quick to blame staff for problems, Not very happy when I had to go sick.Higher management not approchable
Firstly, I'd like to say, the other staff at the grotto were amazing and I definitely would've left within a couple of weeks if not for them. Most of the higher management team were also great but on an occasion where I was extremely ill and had to call them to inform them I was unable to come into work I was spoken to very rudely and the person on the phone even harshly ended the call mid conversation! All because I couldn't come in to work for one one or two days! Low pay for such high responsibilities and lots of unnecessary pressure. The technology used (ie: computer/camera/printer) would break at least once a week and was not given a new one to replace it. Overall, poor experience and definitely wouldn't recommend unless you're desperate.
The team I worked with were amazing, we all got on well and had a laugh during the day! We managed to get our jobs done with a smile. Days weren’t too long or too short, everyone helped each other as a team! Amazing job, never forget
Wages are terrible for what great grottos want from you. As Santa, you have a big role to play. You have to think on your feet. ÂŁ8.50 per hour is an insult.
Working at the Grotto was a very interesting and new experience for me. however i feel as though the staff werent looked after very well and practically chucked in the deep end however i will never forget it
Pros: Nice atmosphere Friendly faces Fair pay Not too many hours Costumes were fun Cons: No breaks Pay was late
I adore working as an Elf at priory meadow Great Grottos, I have done for the last 2 years and my team has been amazing. My manager was so caring of everyone’s needs and listened to the preferences of the workers and made sure everyone was happy and willing to give the best experience throughout the Christmas period. The Santa’s were absolutely fabulous, speaking other languages to children and singing songs with them, some workers even knew sign language so no child was left out for Christmas.
I worked for Great Grottos during Christmas 2018. A month and a half later they still haven't fully paid me (I'm missing ÂŁ120) and other reviews suggest the same. Such a shame because it's such a fun place to work. The company is managed via the office in Dorking rather than having actual managers in the store, which can have a lot of complications. My payslip is completely messed up and I've spoken to three people about it in the office and still nothing has been done about it. Completely out of order.
Pros
Fun work
Cons
Bad management
This job opened up so many opportunities to me and introduced me to an incredible work environment with people who I have stayed in touch with. Though Great Grotto seemed disorganised at times and pay could often be a bit late or slightly off they resolved issues quickly and was overall an incredible experience.
I was phoned and promised a paid 'trail' which involved a journey to the outskirts of Manchester, donning a horrible sweaty suit and filling in cos santa was sick.did i get any more work? Did i get paid for those 4hrs? They are a con! Beware of them when it comes to payday
Cons
loved working with so many great people. the pay wasn't great. dealing with complaints was hard but i did make a lot of new friends during this experience.
Pros
great people
Cons
bad pay
  1. Employee reviews