Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

A good place to work. People are mostly nice. Big learning curve.

A typical day in the Out Patients Clinic was a busy and stressfulday. We had to book in the patients, attend to queries on phone as well as in person

Pros

We got some discounts for the gym.

Wonderful place to work!

A typical day at work for me is to do a tea trolley round, morning and afternoon. This allows all of the other staff to do their main work. I've learnt a lot on the ward/department I'm in and it's brought my colours out from within myself. Hardest part of the job is hearing someone you have worked with has died for me personally.

Pros

Working within a team, caring, ambitious and lovely challenges

Cons

N/a

productive

its fast paced and need to think on your feet. involving patient personal care, assisting to bathroom and helping with nutritional and hydration for patient

short staffed

never seem to do the job applied for. several e mails and requests , something put in place but back doing same old stuff after 2 weeks. cant blame our line managers, the problem comes much higher up, someone leaves , don't get replaced and everyone else absorbs the duties

poor management

Theatres is a challenging environment, fast paced and you if you have a shift were you have a cooperative team and are not involved in politics, it is rewarding. However, most days, team work does not happen, and it can be quiet frustrating, and always the same ones being overstretched. The face fitting culture, the management style (intimidation/retaliation) and the well known NHS pressures are a nice cocktail for low morale and the "I don't care" attitude, with a high turn over of staff. If the face fits, you will have a chance for development and progression, otherwise make sure you are a member of a trade union!

Hard work but rewarding

Working in a hospital environmental is stressful and there is pressure to get things done in a certain amount of time, but it is also very rewarding. The management are lovely but the higher management expect too much and the rules are too strict regarding sickness and work injuries.

Pros

Set hours, talking to patients

Cons

Busy, pressuring and working weekends. Not great sickness policies

Day in NHS

There is no typical day as my day is so varied and completely different every day. Some days can be rather difficult, which is the hardest part of the job. But no 2 days are the same.

Pros

6 weeks annual leave

Cons

Paying car park

Full time staff

Management stuck in its ways and don't dare to recommend change. If your face fits maybe you have a chance. Extremely clicky and you better socially invite management if you want a raise.

Pros

Lunch break

Cons

No change, awefull staff, their way or the highway, high staff turn over due to existing staff

Stuck in its ways

Friendly working atmosphere, with great people. But frustration is the order of the day. It's impossible to bring about change. Always firefighting, and never being able to make a difference.

Pros

Good atmosphere/people

Cons

Terminally stuck in its ways

Fun workplace

Very good workplace. Staff very friendly, training very well organised , approachable management. Job prospects very good if you are wanting to stay in the NHS.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Car parking costs

Jobs at Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

See more jobs

Approachable likeable employers

The Great Western Hospital is a great family feel company, who are there for their employees, when they are needed. The management are approachable, likeable and feel like "one of us".

something different every day

I currently volunteer at GWH. Whilst I love what I do as a volunteer the things I am allowed to do is limited. Lovely staff always make me feel very welcome and will miss being there when I eventually move into future employment.

Pros

friendly, hardworking staff.

Cons

limited to jobs being a volunteer

recognised skills

Hard work, quick turn over of patients, skills are able to be achieved and gain knowledge by applying for extra courses. good management, there could be extra support from Colleagues. Hardest part of the job feeling like your not being supported and all jobs being handed down to healthcare assistants. Most enjoyable part of the job is building professional trusting relationships with patients, watching them improve and get better and very rewarding.

Pros

meeting a variety of people

Cons

Long hours, short breaks.

Varied, challening and rewarding

- hard work, varied, exciting - the importance of PR/communications to reputation - supportive - amazing - too much too do, too little time - results

Pros

NHS benefits

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location

• Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?