Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Working at Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust: Latest Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Reviews

United Kingdom22 reviews

good place to work made lots of friends mangers are good and always helpful

good place to work and very much enjoyed working there lots of help when starting out and find your best fit for your role there in the hospital was sad to leave only left when moved house

Hated working here

This was my first ever job and as someone who was newly qualified I had my confidence and self esteem completely ruined! My supervisor was a nasty piece of work. I am so glad I left this place! On a positive note this whole experience shaped how I manage and support others, it has helped me to see exactly who I don’t want to be and has support me to encourage positive working relationships with others.

Insights into Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Trust in colleagues

Gwh

No trust to do your job. bullied by management team.make you work above your banding without the pay. Always talk about making change but never see it happening.Talk about health and Wellbeing, but they don't look after their own staff

Worst place that I have ever worked!

I have been working in the NHS for over 20 years and I can honestly say this organisation is the worst I have experienced! No management support, stuck in an office alone with no support and when working in the same office as my manager she was in back to back meetings with no time for you, just empty promises, having very little management skills. In fact you were supposed to know everything because I had had such a varied career in the NHS!

Pros

The salary was ok and the holiday entitlement is the only redeeming feature!

Cons

No management skills

Wonderful place to work and staff were lovely to work with.

I am a retired Secretary now but miss it terribly. I worked at GWH for 23 years and loved every minute of it. Days were pleasant and colleagues were so good to work with.

Great teamwork

Very fast paced environment, a lot of staff shortage due to covid which can put a lot of extra stress on staff. Good work and home life balance. Nights and day shifts available. Can sometimes choose your shifts, or easily swap with other members of staff , generous annual leave entitlement, good enhancements for unsociable hours such as night shifts and weekends. Can joking the bank and work in other departments if the hospital etc

Pros

Great team free parking

Cons

Staff are lovely but the workload is too much

Working in the NHS is great but unfortunantley management aren't switchced on to staff issues and retention enough and the Money isnt there especially as the workload begins to increase.

Okay

Okay job line managers good hard to get flexible working.Patients demanding and rude.Canteen expensive Often don’t finish on timeToo small for area

Pros

Free parking at the moment

Cons

Underpaid

A good place to work. People are mostly nice. Big learning curve.

A typical day in the Out Patients Clinic was a busy and stressfulday. We had to book in the patients, attend to queries on phone as well as in person

Pros

We got some discounts for the gym.

Wonderful place to work!

A typical day at work for me is to do a tea trolley round, morning and afternoon. This allows all of the other staff to do their main work. I've learnt a lot on the ward/department I'm in and it's brought my colours out from within myself. Hardest part of the job is hearing someone you have worked with has died for me personally.

Pros

Working within a team, caring, ambitious and lovely challenges

Cons

N/a

productive

its fast paced and need to think on your feet. involving patient personal care, assisting to bathroom and helping with nutritional and hydration for patient

short staffed

never seem to do the job applied for. several e mails and requests , something put in place but back doing same old stuff after 2 weeks. cant blame our line managers, the problem comes much higher up, someone leaves , don't get replaced and everyone else absorbs the duties

poor management

Theatres is a challenging environment, fast paced and you if you have a shift were you have a cooperative team and are not involved in politics, it is rewarding. However, most days, team work does not happen, and it can be quiet frustrating, and always the same ones being overstretched. The face fitting culture, the management style (intimidation/retaliation) and the well known NHS pressures are a nice cocktail for low morale and the "I don't care" attitude, with a high turn over of staff. If the face fits, you will have a chance for development and progression, otherwise make sure you are a member of a trade union!

Hard work but rewarding

Working in a hospital environmental is stressful and there is pressure to get things done in a certain amount of time, but it is also very rewarding. The management are lovely but the higher management expect too much and the rules are too strict regarding sickness and work injuries.

Pros

Set hours, talking to patients

Cons

Busy, pressuring and working weekends. Not great sickness policies

Day in NHS

There is no typical day as my day is so varied and completely different every day. Some days can be rather difficult, which is the hardest part of the job. But no 2 days are the same.

Pros

6 weeks annual leave

Cons

Paying car park

Full time staff

Management stuck in its ways and don't dare to recommend change. If your face fits maybe you have a chance. Extremely clicky and you better socially invite management if you want a raise.

Pros

Lunch break

Cons

No change, awefull staff, their way or the highway, high staff turn over due to existing staff

Stuck in its ways

Friendly working atmosphere, with great people. But frustration is the order of the day. It's impossible to bring about change. Always firefighting, and never being able to make a difference.

Pros

Good atmosphere/people

Cons

Terminally stuck in its ways

Fun workplace

Very good workplace. Staff very friendly, training very well organised , approachable management. Job prospects very good if you are wanting to stay in the NHS.

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Car parking costs

Approachable likeable employers

The Great Western Hospital is a great family feel company, who are there for their employees, when they are needed. The management are approachable, likeable and feel like "one of us".

something different every day

I currently volunteer at GWH. Whilst I love what I do as a volunteer the things I am allowed to do is limited. Lovely staff always make me feel very welcome and will miss being there when I eventually move into future employment.

Pros

friendly, hardworking staff.

Cons

limited to jobs being a volunteer

recognised skills

Hard work, quick turn over of patients, skills are able to be achieved and gain knowledge by applying for extra courses. good management, there could be extra support from Colleagues. Hardest part of the job feeling like your not being supported and all jobs being handed down to healthcare assistants. Most enjoyable part of the job is building professional trusting relationships with patients, watching them improve and get better and very rewarding.

Pros

meeting a variety of people

Cons

Long hours, short breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement