Greater London Authority

Working at Greater London Authority: Latest Greater London Authority Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews

The Best Work to Life Balance Workplace thus far

Very relaxed working environment, colleagues are quite social but still get their work done. Due to a dramatic and wide ranging transformation programme - staff are empowered to find creative ways to collaborate in new ways that were considered 'out there' but are now the norm.

Great staff but clunky, long winded way of doing things.

Too much done via email and time wasted on red tape and not being able to be productive. IT is not invested in. Little work/life balance. Sharepoint (used in all public sectors) is not a productive work management tool. Talented staff who really try to make life less confusing but ultimately change needs to happen from above and they could benefit from investing in agile working and better technologies.

Pros

Working from home

Cons

Long hours. Confusion. Time wasted on dated over complex procedures.

Great place to work with friendly colleagues

City Hall is well located for commuters as the nearest station is London Bridge. Flexible working is encouraged if it works for your department. Colleagues were very friendly.

Good employer

Varied and interesting - lots to do but need to be funded properly if it is to deliver what the strategy is. Sometime a closed shop. That said, very nice colleagues good environment to work in

Great co-workers

Amazing people to work with who are passionate about improving the lives of Londoners. It is a great place to work and amazing to see the work that we do making a difference

Productive and fun work place.

Enjoyed my time at City Hall. Lovely team to work with in an Agile environment. Always looking for ways to do things better. Great work ethics and a dynamic team.

Cons

My position as board coordinator and committee assistant at city hall

The atmosphere and environment was calm and relaxed but formal at the same time. The work was amazing and I really enjoyed myself. I learned a lot about the Committee Assembly and also learned to produce and deliver the captioning for the Mayors Question Time. I also did some info graphics for the LEAP team and designed a poster for them. The design work was just really off my own back that i offered to do for them just because i loved working with them.

Pros

Fantastic subsidised canteen and great location

A day at work in City Hall

You are greeted by friendly security and front line staff as you enter the building. They have a café on the lower ground floor that provides hot and cold food and a separate coffee bar. You might get to meet/see other dignitaries/celebrities or even get to see the Mayor.

Pros

Wonderful scenery

Very exciting place to work and learn about what's going on in London

It's a very exciting place to work, with lots of opportunities to learn about what's going on in London, meet new groups and organisations and learn about new policy initiatives happening in London.

Dynamic workplace

Extremely busy but rewarding work with high expectations from internal and external stakeholders. There are infinite opportunities to expand, which I have eager grasped, but no opportunities to progress

Pros

flexible working

Cons

minimal progress opportunities

GLA Mismanagement

Micro managed by people who clearly have no idea of what happens in the real world. A complete and utter lack of respect for subcontractors and an inability to make logical decision when required.

Pros

Cons

All of the above and more.

Great Work Environment

Great Work Environment and team working with senior goverment officals and having to support VIP customers. inhouse support team therefore learning of new systems was good.

A great place to work where innovative decisions that positively impact the lives of Londoners are made.

A great organisation to work with friendly staff Great management culture and I learned a great deal on policy issues that affect the lives of Londoners.

Pros

Location and work culture is fantastic

Best place to work

GLA is one of the best places to gain quality experience if anyone had the opportunity to work in. I learnt so much from there and until this date I still apply the experience learnt to wherever I go. GLA staff are extremely lovely and the food at the canteen is amazing. GLA constantly run programmes and events so it always busy. The most enjoyable part of working for GLA is answering and dealing with members of the public. Always found it very rewarding to satisfy the needs of callers. I learnt how to deal with people from diverse backgrounds. I always found it exciting to provide information about the GLA and send out packs to people who called to request them.

Pros

Free pass to all GLA events

Making a Difference for London

Committed and hard-working colleagues. Plenty of opportunities for internal promotions or secondments. Good staff benefits including a generous annual leave allowance and flexible working options.

Excellent place to work

Very good place to work with lots training support. If I should get a permanent role her I will stay , However my role is a fixed term contract end in July 16, But I need to start looking for a permanent role

Employment agency

This job was a temporary one via an employment agency. The staff are friendly and their offices are centrally located. What more can be said!

amazing work environment

cannot rate this experience any higher. enjoyed throughly going to work here

Challenging, motivating and engaging.

• Member of the team responsible for the distribution of the Mayor’s Sports Legacy fund, analysing previously completed projects in order to inform decisions and recommendations when considering new initiatives. • Supported the project manager of the London Transformation Project, the merger of the 5 London Pro-actives responsible for coordinating grassroots sport in London, working closely with external clients including members of Sport England. • Assisted in the creation of sponsorship proposals for the GLA Sports Unit’s Make a Splash Initiative, which included the creation of an internal project funding proposal and the external publicising of the initiative. • Wide ranging admin support for the sports unit, including scheduling meetings, taking minutes and answering daily correspondence to the mayor. Being part of a highly motivated team was a key factor to my enjoyment of the role, the employees were all welcoming and supportive in any work.

Work Experience

I had worked with the technical support for 1 week for my year 12 work experience, and i would say that the placement is substantial, friendly people, nice and live environment, hours were from 9 - 5 as i would expect and the manager is great.

Pros

Re-funded lunch's, great work environment, excellent placement

Cons

N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater London Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement