Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester Police Employee Reviews

Overall job is good, every day is different. But sometimes stressful. Lots of responsibility. For a single person this job will be fantastic. Main issue is every week not fixed days off. Work environment is good.
Pros
Weekend allowance
Cons
Different days off every week
People are treated very differently depending on their role, how long they have been there, who they know. It’s a very internal gossip organisation. If you are not an officer you are seen as a second class citizen in the main. You wear different colour badges green and blue so it’s very obvious. It’s very internally clique!!!
Pros
Made some friends, Toil time
Cons
Internal prejudice
I worked for GMP for 10 years as a PCSO and within that role also performed a couple of seconded roles working with the the police cadets and on a domestic violence operation. I found that the role of PCSO can be as full as you want to make it. It comes with core duty’s but has a huge scope for expansion depending on how much or how little you want to make a difference in your community. I only left as I moved to Devon and now work for the Devon & Cornwall police
Pros
Feeling part of the policing family
Cons
Can deal with some very stressful situations
Sadly those in management are too worried about their position to stand up for those they manage. Not a career for life anymore, do it for a few years then move on. I enjoyed some of this job but in this world of looking at everything with hindsight, you are damned if you and damned if you don’t. I got out after nearly 9 years, though didn’t leave the way I wanted to- more fool me for having loyalty and a hard working ethic.
Pros
Job security- we will always need the police
Cons
Awful hours, poor management. Difficult to progress upwards internally
I enjoyed my time at GMP.It’s a secure job with a good pension scheme.However as a PCSO I didn’t like being single crewed . Being out late at night by myself was unnerving . Also you don’t get much support from Police Officers in general.. most of the time you were left to your own devices , patrolling your area and getting involved with the community .
Pros
Good pay, good pension
Cons
Shifts and being by your self
Work flows could be improved and the application of new technology and constructions technology applied. management styles are poor with an outdated approach which would not survive in the private sector, many areas of the property estate could be improved, but a lack of vision and maintaining the status que seems more important than looking at alternatives to manage and maintain the estate, continual budget reductions are at the heart of the problem with a lack of finance to invest
Pros
Some good people work there
Cons
Poor management
It’s one rule for one and another for the SLT and PSB within GMP. The way officers and staff are treated is appalling. A lot of ‘jobs for the boys’ happens too. Would rather be unemployed than work for this corrupt organisation.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the force
39 years as a police Constable and detective dealing with major crime Specialist in surveillance , covert tactics and investigation GMP has trained myself to a high standard with many courses to help me succeed
Pros
Highly trained
Cons
Work / life balance
The questions are ambiguous and not in plain English. Why is it that they are stuck in the 80's. Its bad enough that you are nervous and feel overwhelmed by the security of the place. Just ask plain direct questions without making the prospective employee feel belittled and unimportant.
Pros
Free parking.
Cons
Not feeling important or part of the whole team.
Lots of courses available to support your personal development and gain more insight into your role. Excellent camaraderie Professional organisationVery busy, stressful and sometimes monotonous Upsetting and challenging informationManagement are supportive
Pros
Great Benefits, pension etc.. Looks great on CV
Cons
Mentally challenging and some nepotism
The role is multi faceted and requires a lot of different skills. It’s ultimately as rewarding depending on how involved you much effort you put in. There is scope to specialise within the organisation.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Shifts, long hours, stressful
Great place to work, I worked in most of GMP catering Departments, I was the Senior Catering Manager at the Training School. I absolutely loved this job, we had Day to day meals and we also did the In house Fraud Dinners and Sargent Promotion Dinners. Life balance was at times very busy, but the team in the catering were the Best ! Everyone who worked there was a Team player ! Fantastic place for Everyone!
A typical day at work would involve rectifying other peoples mistakes in and amongst my own workload. I would also have to pick up slack from other team members who had been promoted well above their level of competence. Speaking about my own particular Branch. It was rife with cronyism, woefully lacking direction and virtually no form of management whatsoever. Plenty of people who could 'talk the talk' but very little else. The hardest part of the job was waking every morning and leaving for the office knowing 'the system' was so fundamentally broken it would never change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie amongst the staff, that and leaving to go home every day.... I'd only recommend this 'outfit' to sado-masochists.
GMP could be an amazing place to work if the management structure was re-worked and well-being of the staff was made more important. Most of the people are great and work well as a team. I'm glad that I have worked there as I've got to work on some very interesting cases and they have provided a lot of training and development.
Great to work for job security is fantastic plenty of opportunity to specialise in various roles, make good lifelong friends and be part of a team. Work/life balance might be challenging for some people due to shift and weekend work.
Enjoyed my time working at GMP at various locations. Met some good people and very friendly bunch to work with interesting and very enjoyable. Very interesting.
Working within the driver Training unit was an honour. Work colleagues were approachable and the whole daily experience was enjoyable. Gained valuable driving experience.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay too low for staff position.
A typical day would be dealing with the prisoner arrested overnight preparing a file to take the crown prosecution service for a charging decision. Dealing with on going investigations and enquiries.
modern policing is not what one would expect. very little time is spent investigating crime, more time is spent supporting people having mental health issues, for which you get very little training.
Pros
Cons
many
After working for 22+ years I retired. Fantastic employer however be prepared to work long hard shifts. Team work is a must to get the job done. For me GMP were very supportive and I would recommend anyone to apply
Job is not family friendly and best suited for younger individuals with no commitments, very fast paced and stressful, unfortunately there appears a lack of morale within the ranks at this time.