Greater Manchester Police logo
Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester Police Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Overall job is good, every day is different. But sometimes stressful. Lots of responsibility. For a single person this job will be fantastic. Main issue is every week not fixed days off. Work environment is good.

Pros

Weekend allowance

Cons

Different days off every week

Competitive Culture and not in a good way

People are treated very differently depending on their role, how long they have been there, who they know. It’s a very internal gossip organisation. If you are not an officer you are seen as a second class citizen in the main. You wear different colour badges green and blue so it’s very obvious. It’s very internally clique!!!

Pros

Made some friends, Toil time

Cons

Internal prejudice

Fantastic place to work

I worked for GMP for 10 years as a PCSO and within that role also performed a couple of seconded roles working with the the police cadets and on a domestic violence operation. I found that the role of PCSO can be as full as you want to make it. It comes with core duty’s but has a huge scope for expansion depending on how much or how little you want to make a difference in your community. I only left as I moved to Devon and now work for the Devon & Cornwall police

Pros

Feeling part of the policing family

Cons

Can deal with some very stressful situations

Watch your back

Sadly those in management are too worried about their position to stand up for those they manage. Not a career for life anymore, do it for a few years then move on. I enjoyed some of this job but in this world of looking at everything with hindsight, you are damned if you and damned if you don’t. I got out after nearly 9 years, though didn’t leave the way I wanted to- more fool me for having loyalty and a hard working ethic.

Pros

Job security- we will always need the police

Cons

Awful hours, poor management. Difficult to progress upwards internally

Secure, pension and supportive

I enjoyed my time at GMP.It’s a secure job with a good pension scheme.However as a PCSO I didn’t like being single crewed . Being out late at night by myself was unnerving . Also you don’t get much support from Police Officers in general.. most of the time you were left to your own devices , patrolling your area and getting involved with the community .

Pros

Good pay, good pension

Cons

Shifts and being by your self

Ok

Work flows could be improved and the application of new technology and constructions technology applied. management styles are poor with an outdated approach which would not survive in the private sector, many areas of the property estate could be improved, but a lack of vision and maintaining the status que seems more important than looking at alternatives to manage and maintain the estate, continual budget reductions are at the heart of the problem with a lack of finance to invest

Pros

Some good people work there

Cons

Poor management

Wouldn’t recommend anyone work for GMP

It’s one rule for one and another for the SLT and PSB within GMP. The way officers and staff are treated is appalling. A lot of ‘jobs for the boys’ happens too. Would rather be unemployed than work for this corrupt organisation.

Pros

Cons

Everything about the force

Police officer

39 years as a police Constable and detective dealing with major crime Specialist in surveillance , covert tactics and investigation GMP has trained myself to a high standard with many courses to help me succeed

Pros

Highly trained

Cons

Work / life balance

Selective screening.

The questions are ambiguous and not in plain English. Why is it that they are stuck in the 80's. Its bad enough that you are nervous and feel overwhelmed by the security of the place. Just ask plain direct questions without making the prospective employee feel belittled and unimportant.

Pros

Free parking.

Cons

Not feeling important or part of the whole team.

Excellent career prospects

Lots of courses available to support your personal development and gain more insight into your role. Excellent camaraderie Professional organisationVery busy, stressful and sometimes monotonous Upsetting and challenging informationManagement are supportive

Pros

Great Benefits, pension etc.. Looks great on CV

Cons

Mentally challenging and some nepotism

Jobs at Greater Manchester Police

See more jobs

Police Officer

The role is multi faceted and requires a lot of different skills. It’s ultimately as rewarding depending on how involved you much effort you put in. There is scope to specialise within the organisation.

Pros

Rewarding

Cons

Shifts, long hours, stressful

Catering for the Boys & Girls in Blue

Great place to work, I worked in most of GMP catering Departments, I was the Senior Catering Manager at the Training School. I absolutely loved this job, we had Day to day meals and we also did the In house Fraud Dinners and Sargent Promotion Dinners. Life balance was at times very busy, but the team in the catering were the Best ! Everyone who worked there was a Team player ! Fantastic place for Everyone!

If it was a sick animal you'd put it to sleep

A typical day at work would involve rectifying other peoples mistakes in and amongst my own workload. I would also have to pick up slack from other team members who had been promoted well above their level of competence. Speaking about my own particular Branch. It was rife with cronyism, woefully lacking direction and virtually no form of management whatsoever. Plenty of people who could 'talk the talk' but very little else. The hardest part of the job was waking every morning and leaving for the office knowing 'the system' was so fundamentally broken it would never change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie amongst the staff, that and leaving to go home every day.... I'd only recommend this 'outfit' to sado-masochists.

could be an amazing place to work

GMP could be an amazing place to work if the management structure was re-worked and well-being of the staff was made more important. Most of the people are great and work well as a team. I'm glad that I have worked there as I've got to work on some very interesting cases and they have provided a lot of training and development.

Great

Great to work for job security is fantastic plenty of opportunity to specialise in various roles, make good lifelong friends and be part of a team. Work/life balance might be challenging for some people due to shift and weekend work.

Loved working here

Enjoyed my time working at GMP at various locations. Met some good people and very friendly bunch to work with interesting and very enjoyable. Very interesting.

Excellent environment

Working within the driver Training unit was an honour. Work colleagues were approachable and the whole daily experience was enjoyable. Gained valuable driving experience.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Pay too low for staff position.

Detective

A typical day would be dealing with the prisoner arrested overnight preparing a file to take the crown prosecution service for a charging decision. Dealing with on going investigations and enquiries.

not the job it was.

modern policing is not what one would expect. very little time is spent investigating crime, more time is spent supporting people having mental health issues, for which you get very little training.

Pros

Cons

many

Shift Work

After working for 22+ years I retired. Fantastic employer however be prepared to work long hard shifts. Team work is a must to get the job done. For me GMP were very supportive and I would recommend anyone to apply

stressful workplace

Job is not family friendly and best suited for younger individuals with no commitments, very fast paced and stressful, unfortunately there appears a lack of morale within the ranks at this time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater Manchester Police. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6Job security/advancement