Greene King logo
Greene King

Greene King Employee Reviews

Found 1,299 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,327 reviews

Fun workplace

Where I worked you were often expected to stay later as they couldn’t predict how busy we would be which often meant we were under or over staffed. For the amount of hours I did and the overtime and effort I put into the job I never felt thanked for these extra things.However overall the job was enjoyable as I built many friendships with regular customers and I received great training and management who were very much on the employees side.

Don’t work here

Awful company to work for, absolute minimum wage and usually 10-12 hour shifts most days.No work life balance, constantly messaged while away from work.

Fun job but terrible pay

I enjoy working at greene king. The staff are great and make sure you are okay and the discount is a great incentive (you get 33% off at all green king pubs) however!! The pay is minimum wage and minimum wage for the amount of stuff you have to do (deep cleans, meetings, waitressing/ helping bar, kitchen, floor, HOURS!! of training etc) it’s not great. I definitely think we should be getting paid more for the amount of things we have to do.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Long hours, Terrible pay

Ok

Pay is minimum wage , busy work 10 hour week contract , some staff can do anything they want where as others can’t and pros you do get 50% of food while working and Greene king f and f.

Pros

50% lunch

Cons

Zero hour contract

Made me feel unless and helpess

Understaffed, under equipped. I give them 110, even canceled my paternity half way to go and help. I give them the best times and 100% food quality. What i got back was resentment, hate and humiliation ! Not to mention how my tips got stolen every day ! Or the fact that my hours were "mistaken" almost every month ! Do not go there if you love to cook and take pride in your work !

Pros

Discount

Cons

Treated badly

Ruined by poor wages and middle management

If you like working long hours for awful pay then apply, upper management only care about the shareholders, you are expendable and they will cut your hours without batting an eye. Most the GMs I met are fine to work with but they're lackies who get told what to do, you would think they know what's best for their particular establishment but GK makes a profit so who cares

Pros

Maybe meet some characters

Cons

You get people drunk all day for NMW, you'll probs end up being a good customer in your bar

Long hour's no appreciation

Long hours working mostly alone constantly being told what you've done wrong never any thanks under paid under appreciated sort yourselves out greene king

Pros

33% team discount

Cons

Long hours no appreciation

Bullied out by new manager

I've loved my job for nearly 2 years I've shared passion and enthusiasm with my team. To have a new manager walk in and push me out unfairly. Ive had no opportunity to finish training which should of been done in first 13 weeks but I've been given 2 managers who both have not been competent. This training I do on a day to day basis as often left alone to run pub anyway.

Pros

The team, the pub, the prices and the wonderful customers.

Cons

The hours means im never home . The manager.

Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Literally no redeeming qualities about working at the pub. Management is lazy and unorganised, yet still expects you to work every day because they're unwilling or incapable to hire enough people to cover the majority of the shifts. Pay is terrible, hours are terrible. The customers are rude and abusive to staff, I was threatened multiple times on shift, and management never helped me feel safe. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY! THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AT ALL!

Pros

There is nothing good about working here.

Cons

Long unrewarding hours, terrible pay, unsafe environment, poor management, often made to feel unhappy by comments left by others

Everyone’s divided and scared

With managers who take feedback describing a “God Complex “ as a complement you can imagine the calibre of the people you get . It’s a shame because someone somewhere in the organisation believes in the culture espoused on web pages etc . Even though the company wants to show adherence to modern thinking on employee relations, they fall short by slavishly backing “management” The organisation is top heavy not enough Indians and too many wannabe managers ordering the hourly paid staff about often walking past work on a busy shift because it’s beneath their designation. Micromanagement and a general lack of respect!

Pros

50% disco on food if you’re working 30% on drinks

Cons

Top heavy management, micromanagement, poor planning, Lack of respect for subordinates, poor it systems seize up regularly, expectations too high for min wage rewards

Jobs at Greene King

See more jobs

Incompetent and lazy management

Worked for the company for over a year and a half and it wasn’t too bad to start with yet after you’ve been there for a few months they are shocking. The hours are very unsociable, you’re questioned about your sick days and management are rude. Favouritism is a clear part of the company and sometimes belittling is common from higher members of staff. The only good part of the company is the 33% off discount.

Pros

33% discount

Cons

long, unsociable hours; poor management

Great place to work, just not good if you have kids that enjoy seeing you on the weekends as you will be required to give up your weekends.The hours are long, often 13-14 hour days with 1 hour break in between, but great to push for promotions and go further in your job. Overall a good place

Pros

Pay is good, tips are good, discount is good, management is good

Cons

Long hours, giving up weekends

Drained,work,work,work

They will pay you the minimum amount. If your qualified for a higher role they overlook you an promote staff that have absolutely no experience in manageral role's just because they have worked in the pub/restaurant a little longer than yourself. You have no work,life,balance. They work you to the bone so your drained an get no recanition for it. Basically they take advantage of you an they reep all your benefits an wisdom with no rewards. I have worked in 4 different greeneking pubs an every manager that has been there an it has been quite a few have all been the same lazy,idol and leave everything down to you including the manageral jobs. You work your butt off an they reep the rewards an you nothing. As I said they promise work,life,balance and give you nothing.

Pros

Cons

No work, life, balance as they promise an use as there moto

Better chains to work for

I have worked for both Pub and grill, pub and dining and Locals and all have the exact same problems. Greeneking refuse to invest in the pubs and when stuff breaks it takes weeks to fix like our glass wash broken for three whole weeks before we got approval to replace it. A lot of pubs are run down and require investment but Greene king spend the money on a lot of middle management rather than investing in the pubs. There is also a high turnover of area managers which makes work more difficult since they all want to do things different. Pay is abysmal even after working for the company for years it has gone up very little. Work life is difficult due to working long hours sometimes open to close 9am-1am with little breaks. The only saving grace is the good managers I have had and great colleagues but apart from that it’s not worth it. All the training is online and is mostly irrelevant and overly complex. Over all there are much better company's to work for GK really need to sort their stuff out.

Pros

50% off on shift 33% off shift

Cons

Long hours, bad pay, company does not support its employees

Fun place to work

GK is generally a good place to work the higher management will go out of there way to help you when needed. The people are fab. My only con regarding the company is no 11 hr shift break between hours and the actual hours for management you basically work 48 or over.I know people say you go above and beyond for your job people generally do but your work takes over your life. There is no work life balance at all. Most companies now the management do 40 hrs a week and have a good work life balance and they are on more pay than GK employees.

Pros

The people

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance

Long days no support no team work.

No team all individual no sense of commitment or communication. Everyone out for themselves. Kitchen cannot decide on anything disorganised kitchen. Needs complete overhaul. Deep clean is a myth.

Cons

Long hours no support and dysfunctional team.

Overall a bad place to work...

●Poor managment●Expected to work over designated hours●Minimum wage●No care for mental health●It's not about you its about the profit kind of place●unprofessional in many way's some of which I would not want to disclose on here.●0 hour contractsI have experienced all of the above first hand. I would highly suggest not even applying, they will take you for a fool, they bend the rules when it suits them including with your clock ins (which is how you earn your hours/pay! Avoid.

Pros

33% off, Can be flexible.

Cons

Mostly everything else to be honest.

Fun workplace

I'll Love to work in Greene king because it is a good and an excellent place to work and also I am interested in the Position and I am proud to be Part of the Team please And the people there make Me laugh whenever I am Not in a good place

Pros

Free Lunch

Cons

It depends where you are working..

The members in general are lovely, but my experience with my general manager could've been better. Nothing against the general manager personally, but when I needed a operation, the manager told me to "Think about it". just felt like the manager cared about the company more than the employees health. Manager sulks if she/he doesn't get their own way which is very unprofessional. Good managing the pub but treating employees differently and some unfairly. You can become very good friends with other members, but same with every other place, there will be cliques and Greene king company might treat you differently, so don't be put off applying but the company for me wasn't ideal.

Pros

Discount.

Cons

Long hours, make you feel bad if you're unwell.

Loved it

I worked for Greene King for 5 years and loved every minute! Of course there are some days...and some people that will make you dislike the job but overall it was a great company to work for. Very flexible and very accomodating.

Pros

The community, discounts

Cons

Not a good place to work

Managements a joke, any complaints you have won’t be heard. 1 Chef on all day doing everything, nowhere near enough staff. Rotas changing without notice, managers having a pint during the matches not helping the staff, or even disappearing upstairs all day to avoid work. The staff are great and it’s a good atmosphere but the actual job itself is atrocious.

Pros

Half price food on shift

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greene King. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement