Groom Room

Groom Room Employee Reviews

I worked at the Groom Room for a little over 3 years in total starting as an assistant and working up to salon manager.The management I worked under were fantastic but unfortunately I can't say the same for all the others I met. A lot of egos and a lot of politics.As my time progressed it became less about the dogs and more about making money with pressure mounting daily.I'm glad I spent the time there I did but I would never go back.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Unsociable hours
Worst place. work life balance is nonexistent I would get phone calls on holiday I was in Mexico and got calls nearly everyday pay is ok but not for all the unpaid breaks and they expect to clean after you’re shift so you can fit as many dogs as possible you feel like a conveyor Belt. One day I was made to feel awful as I didn’t want to stay till 8pm when I was meant to finish at 5pm as a groomer went sick and felt forced to do a 12hr shift with no break and no one to get me a drink hit targets that are unrealistic as a groomer getting dogs done in less than 1.5 and if you take longer would have to explain why to people who have NO IDEA HOW TO GROOM. You made to feel awful for trying to think of yourself or a dog toxic environment
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Long hours Unpaid breaks over worked bullied
Pets before profit was their key slogan yet they force you to work lunch breaks, unpaid overtime and cram as many dogs in as humanly possible. Workspace is cramped and chaotic, the only upside is that you get trained for free. Management try to scare you into hitting ridiculously high targets and have the most disgusting attitude that they’re better than everyone of their workers. This is shop floor who manage the groomers, people who have zero idea on how to groom a dog or how long one dog should take.
Pros
Free training
Cons
Long hours, unpaid overtime, bullying, unfairness
Animal cruelty is often shown here the dogs are rushed and often shouted at . As the groomers are made to rush , and often get no breaks. Poor management its a shame because if it was run correctly then it would be a gold mine you need happy staff to make a groomers work
Pros
Looking after pets
Cons
I have been with this company for 4 years and in that time it has changed a lot if you don’t hit targets you get constant emails sent down off higher management the job is very stressful they don’t care about the animals it’s all about how much money you are making the only thing that’s good is the training you get. Would avoid or if you like being tired and over worked with no thank you
Pros
Free training
Cons
Management and very stressful
Target driven business . Physically tiring. Lots of daily cleaning involved. Preparing dogs for groomers (bathing and drying using high velocity dryers to a specified time) . Training very 'in-house'. Poor work-place culture. Micro management style.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Long hours. Poor pay. Poor management
Would avoid at all costs now, this company is just all about money even more than before. If dogs don’t come to appointments or cancel due to them being ill etc it’s your fault that now you won’t hit dog targets. You are constantly phoning customers to the point they will ask you to stop. Even when your training or have just been signed off they expect you to complete all grooms in 2 hours regardless of if you have done that cut before/ dogs temperament and size etc, dogs will be booked in above your skill set and you will be expected to complete them. All targets are unreasonable and you are pressuring customers into having spas, basically scamming them as you often don’t have all the stuff for the spas. You are not allowed any time to clean/ complete contracts etc for the next day as all spaces are filled and you are expected to stay late to clean at the end of your shift for no pay. Now are doing 8pm finishes most nights giving you no time for a social life. The training is rushed through and not thorough, they would rather sign you off and get dogs in then have good decent groomers,
Pros
Good pay, some training good
Cons
Unrealistic targets, long shifts, work weekends, bad training
The pressure to meet unrealistic targets is awful. The workload we are expected to do. Includes doing reception work. Phoning people constantly. Whilst trying to do dogs and cleaning plus walk ins. This means we cannot give the dogs the time they need especially if it is stressed or elderly. Pay is awful. Considering you could be off work with a dog bite or worse. Constantly being pushed to do more.
Pros
Cons
Long hard stressful hours. Bad pay. No support. Too much workload
I worked for the company for 4 years and it is an absolute nightmare company to work for! Looking at the job descriptions for when you apply they make it sound amazing and perfect, but it is seriously far from it! The only benefit you get from working in the Groom Room is free training. I would only advise you apply for the trainee position to get trained and leave. I worked for the South East and the way staff are treated by management from all stores are a disgrace. They are encouraged to bully the staff into hitting targets and if your store fails to perform to the area managers standard, you are sent horrible emails and are visited from them to only give staff dirty looks and intimidate them. They preach about supporting mental health yet they consider people with mental health problems a massive burden and will not support you at all. For the 4 years I worked there, the MASSIVE number of staff from shop floor and the Groom Room who had left the company was extremely high, yet the company will not take blame and see you as replaceable. You WILL NOT be respected and all you will receive is an enormous amount of stress and no support. They preach “Pets before Profit” yet this is never the case! Expect you to groom a ridiculous amount of dogs per day and you rush so much that you are bound to make mistakes. They expect you to groom until the last second of your shift with no time to clean the salon which would mean working over time to clean the salon which they will not pay you for or will send snotty emails about people working overtime.... Was told by a colleague how a - more...
As an animal lover (the reason why I got into grooming in the first place and should be why anyone does!) this place is just the worst of the worst. Profit always comes before pets wellbeing and health. I witnessed cruel behaviour towards dogs, no action is ever taken. Being constantly rushed to get ‘as many dogs in as possible’. Dogs are people’s babies and need patience, understanding and TIME to get accustomed to grooming. Something you will never get at the groom room.
there are alot of KPI's to hit. which is their main goal and a company. the hours can be anything from 8am - 8pm at night and work/ home balance isnt the best. weekends are required to work regularly.
This place broke me and I don't know how to put myself together. If you value your mental and physical health and want to treat pets with the respect they deserve as loving family members, stay away. Here profit does comes before pets, and before employees too. If you love animals you will suffer a lot here. There's a lot of folk getting bullied. Management often ridicule people and keep nothing confidential. You'll be required to start early, finish late and often skip lunch. You end up working for weeks without a day off as many salons are understaffed or not meeting targets. You have to sell a lot and if you can't, you have to cheat. If you're an experienced groomer you'll have to change the way you groom to suit their targets and do more dogs plus reception, sales and training others. . If you are new, you get thrown in the deep end almost right away and have to pick up as you go along and groom fast, even when you don't know what you're doing yet. They arm you with blasters, cheap scissors and old clippers and on you go, with almost no training. Lots of accidents happen this way, poor dogs end up getting cut or sick with stress as they get pushed beyond their limits by inexperienced groomers.
I made friends for life, learnt a career I had wanted for many years, met some fantastic people. Left to become a manager in another petstore chain, and the training is null and void, where no one knows what they are doing...
Pros
Training. Friendships. Animals
Cons
Pay could be better
What a utter shambles! They only care about Sales and targets!!!! They do not care or look after their staff at all, they don’t care about your work to life balance, make you work 7 hours without a break, no team work, moody atmosphere. Your always walking on egg shells! God forbid you get sick note. get absolutely annihilated for Having time off even with proof! The company drains you, makes you work silly hours, no help/support from management, a bullying environment the list goes on!
Don’t even bother applying to work here unless you want to be miserable. Employees are treated like rubbish. All they care about is money and how many dogs they can squeeze in. You have certain targets to hit daily/weekly/monthly and if you don’t your named and shamed or receive constant emails harassing you. Higher up management are far from supportive in fact they are useless. No work life balance either . There’s no thought for the animals or customer satisfaction, the money is all they care about. Staff turnover throughout the whole company was so high from what I witnessed yet they still haven’t worked out why. The pay is poor for the job your doing also. They try and rush people through their training in order to get more dogs in even if the person isn’t confident yet. If you want to be stressed, treated badly and have no support from higher management then this is definitely the job for you
Cons
Don’t do it!!!! It’s not worth it.. they don’t pay you what it shows on the job description. The role is not so amazing as they told us Been working for this company and honestly I wish I never went there as it was the must horrible time I had on my life and ended on an unfair dismissal. The reason don’t met the companies expectations. When you do all they ask for having 12 weeks review on the 20 week’s working for this company better places to work for sure
All upper management care about is money. They dont care about you or the dogs in your care. All about pushing targets regardless of the welfare of the animals. No work life balance - expected to work through lunchtimes and before/after your shift for free. Head office managers have never groomed a dog in their life and have zero clue what they are talking about!
Got out whilst I could! It was the worst decision of my life going to work there. They don’t appreciate your hard work when you don’t have a dog they expect you to be down stairs constantly running about for them. People were being bullies and when I told managers nothing was done. Told a manager about my mental health got told to Grow up it was an awful experience never came home happy they also don’t care if you have plans so your life was just work constantly
Was so looking forward to working with this company, wanted to progress as i agreed what it stood for. Was totally misguided, no lunch breaks as was so busy when 1st opened the brand new salon. Customer repeat business wasnt high, but i kept my regulars. Stupid targets and was given warnings from the salon manager as not cleaned up properly but was grooming all day. Finally left and started my own
If you value your health don’t work here!! Will drive you to a breakdown. It’s a production line of dog in dog out. Money making scheme, the company don’t care about the dogs or staff.
I've been at this company for almost ten years & it has changed drastically for the worst. I have lost count of how many great and extremely talented people have been pushed to their limits and left. I've seen kind, generous, hard working people pushed to breakdowns. The company is great at presenting theatrics and pretending to care; but any seasoned colleague will see straight through all the nonsense. As a groomer, you are merely a tool pressured and pushed to meet targets at the expense of your own health and well being. A shocking amount of people are on medication for mental health or on the sick due to this company. You will finish work often aching all over, headaches with sore hands. But don't worry, you'll have earned a patronizing email giving you a pat on the back because you've made the area manager look good. You are expected to "never turn a dog away" and groom until your finishing time, leaving a lot of cleaning and admin work to be completed so you're often staying behind. You have audits/inspections to make sure all is as it should be. You can be marked as negative if the salon isn't pristine. But if you're constantly grooming, answering the phone, taking deposits, calling online bookings, doing walk in nails clips, juggling a hundred things... how are you supposed to make sure EVERYTHING is done? You are stretched thin constantly and nothing will ever be good enough. You have targets for Grooming Services, the Average Price of a Dog and Spa packages which includes "teeth cleaning"; the biggest joke in the salon. You can buy the EXACT - more...
  1. Employee reviews