Groom Room
Happiness score is 27 out of 100

Groom Room Employee Reviews

United Kingdom69 reviews

Bad for your mental health

Once you are a stylist you act like a conveyor belt, one dog after the next. It’s all about the numbers and not the welfare of you or the dogs. Very stressful and work overload, as it is so full on, the only good thing about this is that time flies. No appreciation from higher up, I was lucky my work team were nice and that kept me there longer. You are always overbooked & end up staying late (with no pay). But nothing you do, going above and beyond is enough to keep higher up happy, you’re always told you’re not doing enough. It’s constant negative criticism. The salon team and shopfloor staff were friendly but there is also a very gossipy atmosphere, as I’m sure this could be found in lots of places. I loved working with the dogs but honestly it was so stressful you’d hardly even enjoy that while there as you’re not given the time needed with them. The good thing is the training (which no one ever has time to do) but you get paid to train up and become a stylist unlike other ways of becoming a dog groomer. I think pay should be higher for the responsibilities, pressure and work load you end up taking on. Just a bad job for your mental (& physical) health.

Pros

Shift flies by, included training in the job, holiday pay

Cons

Stressful, under appreciated, mentally and physically exhausting, work overload, no social work life balance

Awful

The job gave me the experience I need within a salon but also gave me lots of stress, no work life balance and labour that I wasn't payed for. The company do not care about the staff let alone the animals. They'll pay customers off so that they don't complain. The whole place is a awful. I cried nearly everyday. The only benefit of the company is the lovely colleges that you work with that really care for the animals welfare and want the best for the customers and the pets. Unfortunately they are just stuck in the cult; glad I got out when I did.

Pros

Dogs

Cons

Unpaid labour, stressful, unreasonable expectations

Insights into Groom Room

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks

Overworked

The company acts like you’re a family but in return expects you to work overtime for free. I was constantly working over my unpaid lunch, working before and after my shift to keep up with the silly amount of dogs you’re expected to do in a day. Management is a joke, the training is a joke, I’d cry almost everyday when a shift ended out of being relieved it was over for another day. My pay was messed up on multiple occasions including one month JUST after Christmas it was missing almost £650 which I only received £189 back and they couldn’t explain where the rest went after I pushed for months, showed them the hours on THEIR system and how I just wasn’t paid it. If you work hard you can get through to be a manager fairly easily but after working in multiple salons now after leaving I’ve realised how terrible this company really was, and I could never ever go back to it, they expect way way too much from you and don’t pay you enough for it. It’s not worth it.

Do not bother

I have put a different location for the sole purpose that I still work here currently however, it’s the most stressful environment I’ve ever worked in. You’re expected if not pressured to work long hours standing up for 8+ hours a day. They expect you to be grooming more than 95% of the time you’re in the salon leaving you no time to clean which involves hoovering, mopping, cleaning the baths etc… The pay honestly could be a lot better, with private independent companies managing to pay their workers £6+ extra whilst giving them time to do everything else necessary it’s a wonder why anyone would ever go for this job. The only reason I did is because I would like my own company in the future so want to get some sort of qualifications for it. However now having been in the environment I wouldn’t recommend. The work place is totally toxic, it’s an every man for themselves environment with stupidly high targets to meet and expectations that are completely incomparable. The contracts state that because it is a retail business you must have the flexibility to work something like half (50%) of the weekends throughout the month, I have worked nearly every single weekend since being here. I have no social life anymore and it’s greatly affecting my mental health, which I’ve also been told to just “suck it up and push through”. They put profit over pets and over staff members. I could go on and on about why this is one of the worst companies to work for but I think other reviews speak for themselves 😑

Stressful atmosphere.

If you value your mental health and the welfare of dogs i suggest not working here. The company is very focused on hitting targets and sales and have very little concern for the dogs well-being. Dogs are being left unattended on tables and in the bath. Dogs are booked in for grooms with very little time to complete. 1 Hour slots for large breed dogs. The whole atmosphere is stressful. No support from management, they are very critical of everything you do. You never leave the salon on time, dogs are booked right up until your last hour so you often leave late due to having to clean and finish notes etc. Although you do not get paid for having to stay later. I love dogs and enjoy working with them but this environment makes the whole experience unenjoyable. Do not just stay for the training, get it elsewhere.

Pros

Working with dogs.

Cons

Long hours. You are treated as a conveyor belt.

Good experience

Good to gain training experience in a fast paced salon. Wage is basic. Managers take home barely more than assistants. Great to train on a new skillNo work life balance My store manager is great but all plans are decided by none groomers in head office

Pros

Training

Cons

Expected to do so much more and extra hours and not be paid. About money not the dogs.

It's fine if you are desperate to work with animals and have no other options

The company is great for giving detailed and thorough training and great experience in grooming but after that, there's very little to offer; very little room for advancement, very minimal pay rises, no further training or progression without going into management.The managers do not get any people training so most are very inept at dealing with staff and even customers and higher up management care very little about things other than the company image and keeping all costs as low as possible.The staff in the store were just as unhappy and constantly having issues with management and things not being done to protect them or help them.If you're desperate to work with animals then it's fine but I would definitely recommend exhausting all other options first.

Pros

Grooming training would have cost me a lot myself

Cons

Low pay, Managers who don't care or don't help, Little room for progression, Very little control over your own appointments, Will be made to groom dogs who have been aggressive and bitten previously, Bonus criteria gets changed throughout the year unfairly

Stressful

The stress and depression that comes with the job is not worth it. Management are not grooming trained and have no knowledge of the trade. They expect you to break your back hitting unrealistic targets. Don’t bother confiding in them regarding your mental health, they don’t have time to listen or care.

would not recommend

would not recommendchanged the location conveyer belt grooming and no support from management all the higher management make decisions about the grooming yet have 0 experience themselves

Stressful

My location is different to the one I’ve put here, but since I still work here it would otherwise be very obvious who I am. This job started off amazing. I loved learning a new skill and working in a lovely team. I’m grateful for the training that was given to me. However, I’m developing a lot of health issues as a result of the job. Tinnitus because the ear protection provided is inadequate. Back problems. Joint problems from standing 8 hours a day. Wrist and shoulder issues plus many more. I never get my full lunch break or go home on time because there’s not enough time in the day to get everything done. You are expected to rush the grooms because the booking times don’t allow for nervous/aggressive dogs and you are encouraged to use force to get the grooms done. You aren’t allowed to book time to clean at the end of the day, meaning you’ll be grooming up until the second you close, only to have to hoover, mop, clean the baths etc and essentially work free overtime every day because you’ll get in trouble if you don’t. The spa add ons are a joke. £6 for a squirt of teeth gel that is meant to be used daily. And we call that “teeth cleaning” which is so misleading. If your dog has sensitive skin you have to pay extra for mild shampoo. And yet giant breed dogs that knacker you out are not charged nearly enough for the time and effort it takes to groom them. By all means use them as an opportunity to learn grooming but do not stay there or it’ll affect you mentally and physically.

Pros

Learn a new skill

Cons

Stressful, long hours, not enough pay

Wouldn’t even rate it a 1 star

The current store I worked in I like to thank certain members of my management team for making it a fun and enjoyable work place. However high management only seem to care about the money side of the business and don’t put pets first. Grooming is like a conveyor belt, they expect unrealistic targets and when I say unrealistic targets they are expecting you to run a under staffed salon as if you are fully staffed while trying to make you do dogs in short time periods such as 1.5 to a hour groom. When you don’t hit targets you don’t get help and receive loads of emails complaining making you feel awful. When you do do a good job there isn’t any recognition for it. The pay and benefits are great but it isn’t worth your mental health. You are constantly bombarded with texts in group chats that you are forced to join, they also have their own social media apps they make you join and they constantly want you to post. If you don’t post you get in trouble for it. It is also invasion of your privacy. Some messages come through late at night like 10pm and as early as 5am. Groomers get no support in terms of cover and you are made to feel you have to work your days off. You are made to work full weekends Friday, Saturday & Sundays so you never get a chance to spend time with family or friends. Zero work life balance. You will never finish on time and will not get paid for it and can be a whole hour or depending on recalls and web bookings. They still haven’t made customer pay deposits online so you spend hours tracing customers for deposits. Customer service never has your back when I -

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else

Worst every

Worst place. work life balance is nonexistent I would get phone calls on holiday I was in Mexico and got calls nearly everyday pay is ok but not for all the unpaid breaks and they expect to clean after you’re shift so you can fit as many dogs as possible you feel like a conveyor Belt. One day I was made to feel awful as I didn’t want to stay till 8pm when I was meant to finish at 5pm as a groomer went sick and felt forced to do a 12hr shift with no break and no one to get me a drink hit targets that are unrealistic as a groomer getting dogs done in less than 1.5 and if you take longer would have to explain why to people who have NO IDEA HOW TO GROOM. You made to feel awful for trying to think of yourself or a dog toxic environment

Pros

Pay is ok

Cons

Long hours Unpaid breaks over worked bullied

Good experience, wouldn't go back.

I worked at the Groom Room for a little over 3 years in total starting as an assistant and working up to salon manager.The management I worked under were fantastic but unfortunately I can't say the same for all the others I met. A lot of egos and a lot of politics.As my time progressed it became less about the dogs and more about making money with pressure mounting daily.I'm glad I spent the time there I did but I would never go back.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Unsociable hours

If you value your pet go elsewhere

Animal cruelty is often shown here the dogs are rushed and often shouted at . As the groomers are made to rush , and often get no breaks. Poor management its a shame because if it was run correctly then it would be a gold mine you need happy staff to make a groomers work

Pros

Looking after pets

Cons

Very stressful place of work

I have been with this company for 4 years and in that time it has changed a lot if you don’t hit targets you get constant emails sent down off higher management the job is very stressful they don’t care about the animals it’s all about how much money you are making the only thing that’s good is the training you get. Would avoid or if you like being tired and over worked with no thank you

Pros

Free training

Cons

Management and very stressful

Petty micro management

Target driven business . Physically tiring. Lots of daily cleaning involved. Preparing dogs for groomers (bathing and drying using high velocity dryers to a specified time) . Training very 'in-house'. Poor work-place culture. Micro management style.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Long hours. Poor pay. Poor management

Gone downhill

Would avoid at all costs now, this company is just all about money even more than before. If dogs don’t come to appointments or cancel due to them being ill etc it’s your fault that now you won’t hit dog targets. You are constantly phoning customers to the point they will ask you to stop. Even when your training or have just been signed off they expect you to complete all grooms in 2 hours regardless of if you have done that cut before/ dogs temperament and size etc, dogs will be booked in above your skill set and you will be expected to complete them. All targets are unreasonable and you are pressuring customers into having spas, basically scamming them as you often don’t have all the stuff for the spas. You are not allowed any time to clean/ complete contracts etc for the next day as all spaces are filled and you are expected to stay late to clean at the end of your shift for no pay. Now are doing 8pm finishes most nights giving you no time for a social life. The training is rushed through and not thorough, they would rather sign you off and get dogs in then have good decent groomers,

Pros

Good pay, some training good

Cons

Unrealistic targets, long shifts, work weekends, bad training

Very stressful. Overworked. No support. Ridiculed.

The pressure to meet unrealistic targets is awful. The workload we are expected to do. Includes doing reception work. Phoning people constantly. Whilst trying to do dogs and cleaning plus walk ins. This means we cannot give the dogs the time they need especially if it is stressed or elderly. Pay is awful. Considering you could be off work with a dog bite or worse. Constantly being pushed to do more.

Pros

Cons

Long hard stressful hours. Bad pay. No support. Too much workload

DO NOT WORK FOR PETS AT HOME! If you value your mental health and your personal life STAY WELL AWAY.

I worked for the company for 4 years and it is an absolute nightmare company to work for! Looking at the job descriptions for when you apply they make it sound amazing and perfect, but it is seriously far from it! The only benefit you get from working in the Groom Room is free training. I would only advise you apply for the trainee position to get trained and leave. I worked for the South East and the way staff are treated by management from all stores are a disgrace. They are encouraged to bully the staff into hitting targets and if your store fails to perform to the area managers standard, you are sent horrible emails and are visited from them to only give staff dirty looks and intimidate them. They preach about supporting mental health yet they consider people with mental health problems a massive burden and will not support you at all. For the 4 years I worked there, the MASSIVE number of staff from shop floor and the Groom Room who had left the company was extremely high, yet the company will not take blame and see you as replaceable. You WILL NOT be respected and all you will receive is an enormous amount of stress and no support. They preach “Pets before Profit” yet this is never the case! Expect you to groom a ridiculous amount of dogs per day and you rush so much that you are bound to make mistakes. They expect you to groom until the last second of your shift with no time to clean the salon which would mean working over time to clean the salon which they will not pay you for or will send snotty emails about people working overtime.... Was told by a colleague how a -

Worked for groom room in Reading

As an animal lover (the reason why I got into grooming in the first place and should be why anyone does!) this place is just the worst of the worst. Profit always comes before pets wellbeing and health. I witnessed cruel behaviour towards dogs, no action is ever taken. Being constantly rushed to get ‘as many dogs in as possible’. Dogs are people’s babies and need patience, understanding and TIME to get accustomed to grooming. Something you will never get at the groom room.

stressful

there are alot of KPI's to hit. which is their main goal and a company. the hours can be anything from 8am - 8pm at night and work/ home balance isnt the best. weekends are required to work regularly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Groom Room. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement