Guide Dogs for the Blind Association

Working at Guide Dogs for the Blind Association: Latest Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Reviews

United Kingdom24 reviews

jobpeopleworkingdoggreatstaffguidemanagement

Lovely colleagues, senior priorities need review

Pros: Great cause, really lovely & passionate colleagues, good work-life balance, great benefits.Cons: CEO priorities are about the dogs only. All effort & resource is spent on operations. Impact of increasing operational workforce & deliveries not thought through past the obvious visible change. E.g. support functions not increased in parallel leading to them being under resourced & stretched.

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Priority & focus on front line operations only

Stop employing people on huge salaries who don't know what they are doing and are incapable of managing staff.

Believe all the reports about a toxic culture of blame and bullying -Bullying is rife, starts at the top with ego fueled “Heads of Department”and trickles down to line managers. Mistakes made by senior mangers which are quickly covered up. HR are useless if you go to them about being treated unfairly. Health and wellbeing is talked about a lot but definitely not practised at Guide Dogs.The charity is wasting so much money and loosing supporters in the wake of their flippant spending and poor use of donor funds.A prime example of this is the millions of pounds wasted on rebrand that nobody likes.

Pros

Use to be a good charity with a great purpose. Should stick to training and providing guide dogs.

Cons

unrealistic deadlines and targets

Insights into Guide Dogs for the Blind Association

What people like
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things

Dream job

Loved working here, dream job for me, great team work, friendly, supportive, rewarding job.Huge job satisfaction. Worked alongside volunteers also, very satisfying. Get to bring pups home too

Pros

Lots of puppies

Excellent place to work.

I enjoyed all my time working for the charity.They looked after all the staff and encourage people to look forward to get promoted.I would love to work for them again if I moved back to the area.

Pros

Free parking and great pension.

Awful Company

Only one training day and then no further guidance, no management, unprofessional company with constant threats of being fired if you don't make them enough money, on your feet all day and not told where you're going to be working until an hour before you start

Pros

Pay is slightly better than average

Enjoyed the work

It was all volunteer work and I helped out mostly on weekends, i enjoyed helping out and I had a few friends who volunteered there too. We have collected money in shops all over the town

Backstabbing work environment

I had the opportunity to develop my skills and experience in this role but the workplace was very backstabbing and there was no trust between management and staff. Everything was micromanaged and over analysed. The waste in spending money was horrific for a charity that solely relies on donations but the dogs are cute. Management are overpaid and disconnected from the normal workplace.

Pros

Free parking, tea and coffee on site, dogs everywhere

Cons

Disconnected management, no progression

Okay

Very stressful as there was a minimum set of targets to meet within the first week, of targets were not met there was risk of losing the job on site.

Best job ever!

Great job! Great colleagues! Fantastic facilities and benefits! Sadly some managers have got their roles inappropriately and that’s what let’s it down somewhat! If you can get your head around that..... then Guide Dogs is perfect place to work!

Awful experience

5 managers in less than a year, zero welfare concerns from management, zero emotional intelligence, zero leadership abilities, managers who don't care about the staff or volunteers and only want to be promoted and micromanage everything.

Fantastic Employer

This is a fantastic opportunity to join a genuinely friendly and happy organisation. I only left due to not pursuing my career and there being no further opportunities for me. I learnt so much about such a valuable and amazing charity and wouldn’t hesitate to reapply if the right position was available.

Working at Guide Dogs

I loved my time at Guide Dogs, such nice people and the daily interaction with the dogs was just a dream come true. I loved each and every minute of my working day.

Pros

Made lifetime friends

Cons

Pay

A rewarding job

Excellent staff and outstanding management I worked as welfare staff and enjoyed every minute of it I decided to take another job and in all honesty wish I hadn’t . I loved going to work and seeing all of the beautifully cared for dogs . It is a life changing experience working for the guide dogs for the blind . I watched established welfare staff progress to become guide dog trainers !! So career progression is certainly on the cards

Only leaving as being made redundant

I love my job and it isn’t my choice to leave I am responsible for donation and collection monies after s large event. I have to count code and I put details onto s computer then creating thank you letters and Personalise in memory letters

Pros

I work as a member of a great team but can work as an individual

Cons

Work can be very busy do I have to prioritise my heavy work load

Voluntary puppy walker

Great fun! Puppy walking for a year at a time. Educational and eye opening. Great sense of achievement when puppy leaves to become Guide Dog!

Pros

Puppies!!

Cons

Giving them back ☹️

Rollercoaster

Now I am not one to normally slate a company I have worked for however after days of ringing management to sort a payment I am owed I have no other option. But to open the can on this poorly run fundraising team. For starters when I came on board I was excited full of hope as the charity itself does amazing work and this is not about them. It's the off few people who raise money for this charity. Now for starters I have worked in house charities before and I think if you.worked in the industry it's always been said quality over quantity so why does the manager ( who I will get to in a second ) pulls you aside for when you get 2 or 3 sign ups of really good quality and gives you grief this purely because she gets 6 to 8 pound per sign up her team gets so she always shouts. Now the manager of you can call.her that. Lied about past employment in several jobs in fact to get the job doesn't have a clue. And when questioned privately when shown sufficient evidence. She will do everything and anything to get you out. Poor management has led to bad decisions being made now I could say a lot more. But if you want to work for a poorly run fundraising team then go.to guide dogs they pay hefty bonuses for a charity that raises money for a good cause double standards and clearly when you go they don't like to pay what they owe

Pros

Great charity

Cons

Poor managment

Awful place to work

There is very little job progression available, the benefits such as flexible working are being removed and it's not a happy place to work. There are a lot of people there who like the work they do and knowing that ultimately they are helping people but they are treated appallingly by senior management. There's no communication between directors and a lot of very unhappy staff. They are trying to change their structure so it may get better, but as the CEO is removing a lot of the benefits to working there I think there will be a huge turnover in staff.

Pros

Beautiful location and knowing ultimately your work is helping others

Cons

top down management, no progression, overworked and underpaid

Productive and fun place to work

Great organisational aims and vision with appropriate and realistic plans to achieve its goals. They have a strong philosophy of promotion from within and supports staff development.

amazing family environment and dedicated trainers

My weeks work experience at guide dogs for the blind was the best week I've had! Meeting the trainers and dog care team really opened my eyes to life! The dogs brought out a side in me that I never even knew about. Their loving ways and playfulness always light up your day! The training they (and the trainers go through) is intense but everyone is nothing but looked after! I would recommend working here highly, it will impact your life for the good and its such a good place to work!

Pros

packed days- not left bored

Guide Dogs

Very friendly. For a good cause. Talking to people, being convincing. How good it is to be helping non benefited people.

Rewarding job

A typical day is general administrative duties,answering the telephone, dealing with any queries organising and participating in fund raising events, working closely with disabled service users. Branch publicity, encouraging people with disabilities to join to promote and motivate independent living.

Pros

Worthwhile job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Guide Dogs for the Blind Association with

Learn about Guide Dogs for the Blind Association in popular locations

• Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?