Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
View all Guide Dogs for the Blind Association reviews

Guide Dogs for the Blind Association

Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Employee Review

Poor management

I have been working for GDBA for several years now, and I have seen deteriorating the type of management that I have been under. People who align with the manager, being their friend, making jokes, etc, are rewarded and are the good ones. The others are just employees. Progression is not for all employees. You need to be a friend to have access to training or progression.

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Enjoyable job, unwelcoming work environment

I volunteered at Guide Dogs for the Blind in 2019 for two weeks. I enjoyed my time here, but felt very isolated by members of staff and other volunteers. I spent most breaks sat by myself in the staff room as very few staff went out of their way to include me.

Lovely colleagues, senior priorities need review

Pros: Great cause, really lovely & passionate colleagues, good work-life balance, great benefits.Cons: CEO priorities are about the dogs only. All effort & resource is spent on operations. Impact of increasing operational workforce & deliveries not thought through past the obvious visible change. E.g. support functions not increased in parallel leading to them being under resourced & stretched.

Pros

Good benefits, work-life balance

Cons

Priority & focus on front line operations only

Stop employing people on huge salaries who don't know what they are doing and are incapable of managing staff.

Believe all the reports about a toxic culture of blame and bullying -Bullying is rife, starts at the top with ego fueled “Heads of Department”and trickles down to line managers. Mistakes made by senior mangers which are quickly covered up. HR are useless if you go to them about being treated unfairly. Health and wellbeing is talked about a lot but definitely not practised at Guide Dogs.The charity is wasting so much money and loosing supporters in the wake of their flippant spending and poor use of donor funds.A prime example of this is the millions of pounds wasted on rebrand that nobody likes.

Pros

Use to be a good charity with a great purpose. Should stick to training and providing guide dogs.

Cons

unrealistic deadlines and targets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guide Dogs for the Blind Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement