H&M

H&M Employee Reviews

H&M is a very busy store therefore you are always expected to be doing something productive. It is good in the snese that it makes time go faster however it can be very stressful when it comes to tidying the shop floor and clearing rails at the end of the day. I am only on a 8 hour contract so a typical day would be come in the morning before the store is open and clear rails from the day before. After that is finished, due to covid, I might stand at the entrance and count the number of customers in the store or leaving the store. I would then typically work on till untill the end of my shift. If i am working in the afternoon I will typically start my shift on the tills and stay on the till untill it is time to tidy at 16:30 or i might start on the doors followed by the tills and tidy at the end. H&M has taught me how to work under pressure as there are often long lines so I know how to remain calm and work efficiently in a stressful environment.I'd say managment ranges, I used to have a really good store manager who was really hands on and kept us all motivated and the department managers were quite good too. However, they all moved to different stores and my new store manager isn't as hands on and i find it quite hard to get their help on the shop floor. . I'd say the hardest part of the job is always having to work really hard and quickly it makes you feel exhausted after every shift and it can be really hard to work to their expectations when your not feeling 100%. I think the best part of the job is the discount as we recieve 25% employee discount that can be - more...
Pros
25% discount, interesting meetings
Cons
always busy, very demanding
H&M is a fast paced, customer focussed environment which is still made enjoyable thanks to the staff. Structured working days/weeks allow staff to plan their personal life too.
Great company and great opportunities for developing. I have worked there for ten years and loved it.Can be Challenging and can affect work life balance.
Fun relaxed atmosphere fab discount gets busy but yet not stressful On going online training Managers are very approachable Downside.... not regular shifts you will be working different days/shifts every week
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Irregular shifts
Is a very nice place to work,because of the team,company,clothes,product and the customer.I really felt happy there.Everyone is willing to help you with everything and you can learn every day.
a typical day involves jumping on the till for hours on end, cleaning up after messy and lazy customers. Also processing garments in the stock room if you come in the morning. You might have to go in and control the fitting room for abit and lastly, putting clothes back in the right places.. alongside answering questions from customers.
Pros
nice colleagues, interview wasn't that difficult, easy rotor to follow, holiday pay
Cons
unsupportive management most of the time, heavy favouritism from management, lack of staff means work overload for others, staying over an hour after you were actually meant to finish
Work schedule is awful, working in the Customer Service centre is so bad! The hours are awful and hard to keep a social life. The management always say they are there to help but really don’t care about the staff and don’t hesitate to fire anyone. They Preach how great they are with mental health but when someone is struggling with their mental health they seem to be belittled and told that everyone has their problem and basically told they need to suck it up.
Pros
Based in the city centre
Cons
Great first job the pay is good and management really help train you so you start work easier. Always something to do so you’ll never find yourself bored and it’s a great environment
I worked at H&M for 8 years and they were the best years of my life. Great people, good benefits and the company look after you, company also has great values. Management would always support you if you ever had any problems.
Pros
Christmas parties and general work environment
Cons
Management pay is awful, they don’t take in to consideration if you travel to get to the workplace, always put sales advisors pay up so you as management are almost on the same hourly pay as them when obviously doing more and under a lot more stress. A lot of empty promises are given out and end up going nowhere
Pros
Holiday entitlement
Cons
No work life balance at all
If you’re looking to progress, it’s probably unlikely unless you’re willing to sell your soul for many years. There’s a lot of people in the office wanting the same role that you do. The people are lovely for the most part although reading the other reviews did have a chuckle about some of the peacocking that happens. That’s a reality.Worst part of the job is talking to terrible customers who want to get their anger out on you over a £7.99 pyjama bottom or something. It’s very shallow work and doesn’t make for interesting conversation at all. Mind numbing actually.The office is lovely with cute roof garden. You’ll probably meet your little tribe there and get on. I had wonderful management who were so kind and supportive while there. I miss that discount...
Pros
Discount, easy work, fruit coffee and tea... and often a little sweet treat
Cons
The customers are HORRIBLE and UNREASONABLE
Management are incompetent, they don't know what they're doing most of the time. Other than that, met some lovely staff there. Been working for them for 2 years on a 20-hour contract while at uni. Flexible schedule was a big plus, but wouldn't recommend it as a full time career opportunity
Pros
Company discount
Cons
Management, salary
I worked at H&M Chaplefield between 2018 to the end of 2019; it was my first job and I was employed when I was 18. Since having other jobs I realised how awful, pretentious and unprofessional management was towards other employees including myself. Managers within the store would talk about members of staff to employees half their age; I witnessed it on multiple occasions. Two of my friends came forward to tell me one of the managers had called me "Useless" and an "Airhead" on multiple occasions (I am studying for a Bachelor of science). Later this year I was glad to find out that this person had been made redundant. Other employees were lovely and I made some really close friends which somehow made it worth it as we were all in the same boat. I know a lot of employees that had a similar experience to me. I wouldn't go back, it was a really uncomfortable environment to work in and I am glad I moved on with my life.I think the main issue is how unprofessional management is. Theres a really high staff turnover in the store and I believe that sometimes the wrong people can fall into a management position because of it.
Pros
Pay was substantial
Cons
Unprofessional management, High staff turnover
Management will make or break the store you work in!Easy to progress if you would like to move into higher positions but that does mean you will be made to work a lot of overtime and don’t get the recognition for your hard work.
Pros
Easy progression
Cons
Overworked, underpaid
Usually have 4 hour shifts consisting of cleaning the shop floor and folding but then gets messed up by customers so that's nice. Also do the tills.In my 4 hour shift I get NO BREAKS so by the time i finish im so dehydrated i fell like im gonna pass out.If youre under 18 the latest you can work is 9:45pm and my salary is 6.60 an hour.Get paid every other friday.When it get busy expect a lot of tidying and putting garments back in the right place.the managers can be really picky about displays at the end of the night but thats good customer service i guess.the atmosphere is good if you get along w your co-workers. im under 18 and i thought i was gonna be left out because im young but they're all super nice.
Pros
good pay for under 18s
Cons
no breaks
I have been working here for over 3 years its a fun workplace and the staff are always so nice, it does get quite stressful sometimes but that's to be expected, the management are super understanding. Reasonable amount of lunch time too
Pros
fun workplace
Cons
no progression
The company is very customer-oriented.Days are challenging and fun at the same time.Not all the managers in store are inspiring and able to manage.
Pros
Nice benefits
Cons
Unpaid overtime for management and lack of interest in the wellness of members in small stores.
Worked here a few years ago. Lazy staff get away with being lazy and incompetent. One individual did nothing but sit in the office doing “admin” and eating KFC while we struggled on the shop floor. No regard for us stressing out and getting abuse from customers. Brown nosers and cool kids get the promotion. Absolute joke of a place . Not allowed to go home until the rails are cleared at the end of the day despite your finishing time being put in as 7pm
Pros
Most of the staff were nice
Cons
Favoritism, overworked, constantly being given late finishes.
Always have something to do Slow paced environment gets busy during holiday events1 hour breaks and soWhat you get when you’re working a retail store
Pros
Relaxed
Everyone tends to be very friendly at H&M. As with any workplace there's gossiping but if you keep out of it you'll do fine. H&M has little progression opportunities however overall, it's a nice place to work.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Can be stressful
Nice place to work if you looking part time job, becouse rota made in good time in advance, or fixed days and hours. Friendly environment, not boring and always busy.
  1. Employee reviews