HSBC

HSBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,494 reviews matching the search
Hsbc pays just a little above average, however for the role of contact centre advisor, we are not paid fairly for what the actual role entails. Hsbc also have a habit of giving people ‘a development job’, where they will allow you to work within a higher graded and paid role such as a supervisor, but will not pay you any more. They do this as they are desperate for the help, but don’t have the budget to employ more staff. This job opp can go on for a few weeks, months, years even- however your pay will not go up. There is barely any progression there, unless you are one of the favourites. However, good benefits such as pension and share scheme.
Pros
Pension scheme, shares, buy holidays
Cons
A lot of stress on figures and statistics, no career progression, favouritism.
People pride themselves on the complexity of HSBC and the political nature of the company - like it is a good thing. Leadership is pretty weak and not to be trusted. What is said is not matched with actions. Because of the complexity and the politics everything takes far too long.
Pros
Big brand on CV
Cons
Politics, slow decision making
HSBC has a good working environment but it is difficult to get things done with the multiple layers of management. There are many opportunities to tranfer to other areas of the bank. However, due to so many approvals needed it takes weeks to months to complete.
Pros
International movement easily available
Cons
Hard to find where to go for help etc. as the bank is so big - its biggest risk is its size.
Horrible place to work. Managers are unhelpful and will micro-manage you to ensure they get a good bonus, you are ridiculed for making the slightest mistakes and will be extremely paranoid as all calls are listened to. Toilets are miles away from the desks and getting to them will take a large chunk of your ten minute break. Terrible procedures and ridiculous security measures which leave most customers who phone up unhappy, which you will take the brunt of. Expected to fill out information on how your working week has went in between calls or on your breaks. If you do not do this you will be ridiculed. Training was terrible and you only really start to learn when you are chucked in to the deep end to take calls. You are expected to be trained on dozens of different types of calls which only adds to stress of job. You are also required to stay ready for calls up until the end of your shift, which means you could get a call just before you finish and have to stay later than your finishing time. Working here is detrimental to your mental health and not worth the money. Cafeteria is also ridiculously expensive.AVOID!!!!
Cons
Very bad work culture. typical cutthroat environment. No trust element. Senior management is clueless. No stability, there are often a number of U turns fairly constantly
Pros
Cons
Bad enviornment, no growth, Toxic
No real progression Constance rules changes biased management and unless you work in a team that makes a lot of money expect your career to be at a full stop.
Pros
Going home
Cons
Company that is trying to put its people first with a particular focus on mental health and employee well being - they were brilliant during the Covid pandemic
Some people you work with are great. The company will find any way to make you at fault in order to reduce or negate your bonus and pay rise. Zero advancement unless you are in Birmingham or from a BAME group. Call centres continuously tell customers to attend branch for assistance when all we did in branch was call the centre for them. Achievers nothing progression nearly impossible as no jobRoles outside of london Birmingham.
Pros
Cheap insurance
Cons
Long hours. Little recognition. No advancement
Interview process took a while to come through so didn't start until like a month after my interview, training in groups was the best part of my work experience there as you build friendships and gain more confidence but quite sad when you get separated after training. The work load is stressful compared to the training. As i started training in the office then transition to the my new work team remotely due to covid it was very difficult to learn the job as your work gets monitored frequently and cant afford to make many mistakes. It is a lot of pressure but would be a secure job for someone that can handle stress and overwhelming workloads
Pros
Staff and pay
Cons
Pressure, stress and overwhelming workloads
They are a fair employee and would help you out with problems. Worked for them over 10 years. Very understanding employees. They care about their staff. I’ll give very them 9/10
Pros
Understanding & helpful
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HSBC?
Working at HSBC was amazing, everybody working there were very nice and friendly and that's including the higher-ups. The company was simply welcoming
Pros
Laid back and professional environment
Cons
Systems could be streamlined
Having worked here for 22 years I have many great memories and made some wonderful friends. Would stay if I wasn't being made redundant. You get good benefits and salary to match.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not many opportunities
Champions of LGBT community, racial equality and encouragement. Pay is ok but only just above average. Most of the management are good at their jobs and approachable. Good as a stepping stone for progressing in a financial services career. Applying for permanent internal job vacancies is encouraged and highly recommended, however competition for these roles is stiff and can often be temporary or project dependent.
Pros
Free coffee, (weekly pay as a contractor), looked after
Cons
Low pension and perks unless you're a permanent employee, lots of red tape/bureaucracy
Managers won’t care about mental health at all, Good free trainingTime management is key as 1 seccond late can make you loose your jobManagers have favourites
Pros
Training
Cons
Managers
There are a really organised company which were very helpful. It was a good experience as a call centre for HSBC bank. It was something new to try and it was good to have an idea
Pros
Cons
8hours a shift
Very friendly welcome from HSBC and their support and tools to learn the skills were excellent. Great bunch of people I have worked with and great mentors.
Pros
Restaurants, gym memberships
I was lucky enough to work in a variety of branches with a variety of different staff and managers. Working within the Yorkshire region I couldn’t fault the management or teams. I enjoyed my time working within Yorkshire . However, the work life balance and some members of management in north wales meant my time with HSBC was tainted. Overall, HSBC was a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Training
Cons
Work/life balance
The benefits and support were good in the beginning. Then I developed my disability then suddenly it flipped, everytime I had to take any time off work for my health I was interrogated, even asked to call in by 9am everyday whilst I was in hospital. They call you in for meetings to discuss how you are feeling then will use anything you give them in a disciplinary without informing you. Management have favourites and will sit around the back talking with them for hours whilst you are out front dealing with enquiries you are not trained for with no support, then you are disciplined for making independent decisions while there was no support. I would not reccomend at all and I would advise against applying at all costs.
Pros
Goodish pay, nice colleagues on my level
Cons
Discrimination, favourites, deception and misleading rampant
HSBC has old fashioned systems and processes which are difficult to learn, the training, is just learn as you go and when you make mistakes you will be told off and asked "why did you do it like that?" working here has made me very depressed.
Pros
the benefits, pension, salary protection/illnes cover, car breakdown they are all very good and an excellent share scheme
Cons
its an old fasioned legacy bank, the processes and sytems are from the 80's and cannot keep up with customers expectations
As HSBC's operations contracted, the culture became toxic. Learning: all aspects of a bank.Culture: 'Cliquie'Hardest: building rapport with long term employees.
Pros
All th benefits of a bank
Cons
'Cliquie' culture.
This Co use to be great however its now toxic, very male orientated and lacking strong leadership and direction. Making 35K redundancies is starting to impact and a lot of experience going with it. Whole teams being made redundant with little or no handover. The Chair is not visible or connected to the staff, the CEO grew up in HSBC and what this Co really needs is a new dynamic person who will change it for the better and long term. Shareholder value is poor and the share price is still not growing. Middle and senior managers are placed in roles without qualifications and most roles are already pre allocated if you apply for anything despite other candidates being professionally qualified! Toxic!
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Lack of direction. Lack of leadership/ very male orientated/ wont listen to new ways of doing things
  1. Employee reviews