HSBC

HSBC Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,625 reviews

Found 1,625 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,546 reviews
progressionbankorganisationcentrerolequerybankingtarget

Good team members make a difference

It is a fair employer, however with a lot of branches being closed there is lot of pressure at counter ..especially with fewer tills open. Not enough experienced senior staff.

Awful management!!!!!

The line managers are awful and so rude. This company is NOT an equal opportunities employer.

Insights into HSBC

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energising work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Fun place to work

Management is very supportive. Culture is the character and personality of your organization. It's what makes your business unique and is the sum of its values, traditions, beliefs, interactions, behaviors, and attitudes. Positive workplace culture attracts talent, drives engagement, impacts happiness and satisfaction, and affects performance.

A good place to work

I enjoyed my time at HSBC and it was a good place to work.The training was sufficient to do your job well and management were supportive. Benefits were good and colleagues were friendly and professional.

Lovely company

Loved working here. The people and management were very supportive and fair. It was not a chore to go to work. The role was varied and interesting. I recommend them.

Not a good place to work

Very inefficiently organised company with an unproductive management structure. Makes it very hard to achieve positive customer outcomes. It’s a fairly competitive environment which is fuelled by the sales culture that is pushed by management. Would advise to avoid this company although i understand it can be a different experience depending on which entity you are based in.

Avoid if possible

- Senior management do not seem to be fully connected with reality.- Middle managers seem to only care about their own job security.- Job cuts are constant and politics are rampant.

I am getting everything I expected from the company

It has got a lovely friendly caring staff, who makes you feel comfortable starting from your 1st day at work. I started as Mortgage Associate but then did internal trasfer in my local branch as I realised work from home was not for me. I loved my current role, been suported by everyone in everything. I think I was fortunate to get job at HSBC UK.

Toxic

Great benefits cannot fault them only thing keeping me there. Systems abysmal cause so much stress. Higher management don't actually listen......brush over problems.

Poorly managed, forgotten about, corrupt

KPI’s were impossible to achieve, which higher management knew about but wouldn’t change. This lead to a very disengaged culture and very little sense of purpose. Work loads were constantly 1/3 higher than the “cap” which is fine from time to time but not all the time. Management had no idea what they were doing and zero consistency between teams.

Pros

Wfh sometimes

Cons

Lack of purpose, impossible targets.

Flexible and friendly

I have loved working at HSBC overall. Pay good and friendly. Lots of work perks. Easier if you are positive to progress. Think recognition scheme for employees though is a little biased and difficult to build decent points to buy anything with.

Excellent

practical and data-driven organisation. excellent work environment, supportive team and managers, Opportunity for growth. wonderful work culture, great staff

Great to work

Although the management is not good, there are many opportunities to learn. I really don't like the culture of the bank. I hope the management can listen to our voice

Pros

lunches

Cons

organised role with clear expectations

The role was well organised, good for those who like routine. Dress code - although smart casual, wearing a backless dress wasn't appropriate. if you own a scarf, or some sort of shoulder wrap, you'll fit right in.

Good work place

Very accommodating to part time needs when having children and great maternity package. Pay isn’t the best but good benefits package. Shame you have to work a minimum of 2 Saturdays a month. Progression is limited.

Terrible place to work

I have worked for HSBC for 3 years during which I learnt a lot about banking. Typical day would consist of opening/closing accounts, helping with online banking, running applications for loans etc. There wasn't anything really that hard except for staying patient when customers were not understanding there is something we are unable to do and then getting angry. The job can be good if you are in a good branch with good colleagues and managers otherwise it is usually bad (inexperienced managers with lack of knowledge, lots of politics and gossiping.) I would recommend this company to gain experience from banking and then moving into a more professional environment.

Benefits

Cons

Lack of experienced managers

Toxic and Damaging

Easily the worst place I've ever worked. Branch life was good but wealth is a horrible set up, run by clowns who have zero accountability for the clueless decisions they make. Wouldn't recommend my worst enemy work in that place. Everyone I knew there quit or is on long term sick leave. Surprised and glad no one ended it.

Pros

Benefits are good but not worth it at all.

Cons

Awful awful place and culture. Wealth

Used to be better

The back used to be good, but no more.Constant change and cost saving made it hard for have certainty at work and as a result a lot of good people left.It is still a great school to learn though

Brown nosing

A few managers are good but they all have their favourites. Advertise job positions they've filled before interviews. Yet waste your time. Half the management don't know HOW to manage. 85% of managers are white. Progression is rubbish

Pros

Free Drinks/Sometimes samosas/Great Sick Pay

Cons

Favouritism

Amazing

Wonderful place to work, lots of career progression available. However the work-life balance often gets in the way of your headspace…work would often be taking home. But on the whole, the money is very nice and the teams are incredible.

Pros

Money

Cons

Long Hours

Just ok

Ok place to work for Managers a bit funny sometimes and also we work long hours for how much u get u get paid less for same job in Essex locations for instance whilst other areas get like 3000 pounds more than you. Won't recommend but uts alright sometimes when u havr lovely customers and nice mamagers

Pros

Good people

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HSBC. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare HSBC with

Learn about HSBC in popular locations

• HSBC
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?