Hackney Council
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Hackney Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom82 reviews

Nice staff and team leaders, terrible organisation

As a tenancy and leasehold office your main role is customer service, you answer calls from tenants and book repairs in with them, occasionally helping with emergencies (which happen more in winter). Hardest part of the job is dealing with tenant frustration, people will take it out on you instead using the correct complaints procedure, so, expect a bit of psychological wear and tear once you make it past your first year. It's better than working in a private repairs customer service role in a public company however the budget cuts that Hackney has made sure that a consistently good service can't be delivered to tenants - you will bear the brunt of their anger.There's good training, and most staff there are friendly and most do their best to do their work well, though you can tell some cut corner which adds workload for others. I can't fault the workplace culture at all - there are good policies put in place. However you can tell workers and management alike are burned out and this effects how dynamics work sometimes. Occasionally things can be disorganised, and there is a mild information withholding culture either accidentally or deliberately.Every month they go through call quality to check, so it gives you something to work towards. Sadly, there is a culture of special treatment on who gets promoted unfortunately, the process isn't transparent so it's not clear what the criteria is in performance to be eligible. Some less performing people get permanent roles than others.They also hire people on contract and mass-firing, and do frequent "reshuffling". Many long-standing -

Would not recommend

No policies and rocedures; working in the dark all the time. Stress levels are always high. Most of staff still "working" from home and couldn't care less for their front-line colleagues; as well as the most of the managers.

Excellent

Great place to work. Culture was good. People were very professional. Enjoyed the work.The most difficult part was getting up to speed with their security - passwords and access to servers.

Good pay and conditions

The council is a reasonable employer. The pay is good. The conditions are fair and reasonable. The staff are good to work with and are hardworking and do their best.

Pros

Good pay

Great place to work.

Really enjoyed my time at ahacknwy Council, and it was sad to leave. I had to leave in order to fulfil my educational commitments. The time came.for me to focus on progression and not just job comforts.

Pros

Great pension and benefits

Cons

Cultural attitude towards residence from some colleagues needed major improvements

Different challenges daily

Though challenging but interesting because of the nature of the job. Most days have different challenges. Administrative staff, field engineers and supervisors are mainly focused on resolving issues raised by Hackney tenants.

Pros

Good constant training and equipment.

Cons

Same position for 15 years, no promotion.

Poor staff development

Opportunities are only given to those that are in with the right people. Often going to unsuitable candidates and not developing or nurturing all staff equally.Council does not follow its own policies when interviewing or carrying out grievance investigations.

Pros

Good salary compared to most councils

Cons

Too many middle and Senior Management positions. Lack of career progression opportunities.

productive and fun work place

Its a good organisation to work for as you will get a good work life balance. What I enjoyed the most is maximising savings for the client by carrying out site measurements and challenging contractor claims.

Pros

relaxed environment

Stressful environment

The management is very poor. They are openly nepotistic and there is a lot of bullying going on. Prospects are very poor unless you are in with the right people.

poor management

no confidentiality, lack of professionalism, no support. Middle management rude and exercise school ground mentality. Higher management lack interpersonal skills, professionalism, and seriously need to know how to dress appropriately particularly the female head. Do not work in this department!!!

I enjoyed working for Hackney council it was a shame we were made redundant and no other jobs within the council were available. Management were very supportive

Fast pace

Handling calls on a daily basis. Management is good The most enjoyable part about my job is speaking to residents and also being able to have my lovely colleagues during my work hours

fun workplace

Delivering meals to clients monday to sunday from 10.30am to 2pm. How to deal with the public clients The deliveries were proactive Organised and worked together Delivering meals in winter Turing up on time and finishing on time Communicating with everyone at work

n/a

Hackney council is a very diverse place to work. Ther are great career opportunities such as shadowing and getting a mentor. I woold reccomend this place.

It was OK just

it was OK though I would not work there again. My personality type does not suit local authority. It's too slow. Too many hoops to jump. Would suit people who can't or don't want to think outside the box

Pros

pay rate was higher than other authorities

Cons

usual public sector working in a silo attitude

Change

Reviewed existing contracts and reporting systems as well as revised the KPI’s and introduced new procedures. Covered all areas of risk by performing a compliance audit and assured management of agreements by implemented of an operations manual. Examined structure and costs for the internal workforce and negotiated reductions on schedules as £28m over budget, reduced by £20m following a review of the use of the Schedules being applied.

Good paced place to work

Good energy , management are considerate and give good training. Flexible hours and benefits. Hackney embraces different cultures and diversity. Being a Hackney resident myself i enjoyed engaing with tenants and offering the best service possible.

Worse job i ever had

They discriminated and fired me for having mental health conditions and having learning difficulites, i was bullied and berated by other members of staff, one of them put their hands on me and threatened to assult me and when i complained, they fired me and put the blame on me for being bullied. Alot of staff are bullies, racists, classist or homophobes, bullying is a huge problem at the council, they do their best to sweep that under the rug. I was sworn at by another member of staff from HR on my first day. My bike was stolen after the first week, no-one did anything to help and My manager was a selfish human being who hired me for the wrong reasons, to make her life easier, she had no intension of helping me grow in the company or to mentor me, which is all i needed and had no problem throwing me under the bus, when she wanted to be rid of me. The treatment i recieved as an apprentice was shocking and hurtful. No one cared or wanted to help me, not even the union, which is connected to them, i guess thats for a reason.

good working place

very good working place, staff are friendly and always willing to help. management help with all training need hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult customers and situations job is rewarding as you are helping people in hackney and providing a service

diverse work environment with opportunities to progress

fun and productive atmosphere to work. meeting various clients and insinuating conclusions to meet their needs on reception and updating information on the system. My experience at the time working at hackney council you had to adhere to to policy at all times in order to resolve many tenancy related cases and keep a log of all cases to ensure that all procedures were being met on time. As you are monitored on your performance on a weekly basis. keeping a good rapport with fellow staff members from different departments to gain essential information to resolve issues. Customer service adviser can be challenging as the work load can king increase rapidly you must ensure your organized and ensure your checking you work tray and inbox daily to keep on top of things. as Audits are being done to ensure we are adhering to the policy. and to prevent further complaints. I enjoyed meeting clients and resolving any issues they had on reception and completing processes on the system.. no day is the same, so everyday is a chance for you to learn new things

Pros

you work from 9-5pm and flexible working hours can apply

Cons

you may need to stay behind due to complex cases.

committed to support services and staff wellbeing

committed to support services and staff wellbeing. contracts change every 5 to seven years which dictates staff moving on . I enjoyed working in the temporary housing section .

Pros

committed to support services and staff wellbeing

Cons

contracts change every 5 to seven years

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hackney Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Hackney Council with

• Hackney Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?