Hampshire County Council
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom249 reviews

Good but hard to progress

Good place to work but a hard to progress, the pay is below the industry for my role.Working from home has been good and having to go to the office once a week suits most people.

Excellent Employer

Would certainly recommend working for HCC. They are very supportive and it's always easy to get in touch with them. They run excellent courses for further development

Insights into Hampshire County Council

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Inclusive work environment
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Loved the residents and most of the staff

But it became very demanding from management and was pushed out of my role, there was bullying in the work place and when management was informed I was made to work with the bullies on a number of occasions. The bullying only got worse.

Procurement Team

Recently changed jobs and it's the best thing I ever did. Pay is great, flexible WFH arrangements and good management who encourage you to progress. Have regular catch ups with the team to prevent isolation while working at home and able to go to the office where necessary

Pros

Progression, salary, flexible working arrangements

Productive and fun but stressful

Great place to work at time, days are never the same which is great, lots of paper work , more paperwork than time with the children that’s the saddest part about it. I however try and spend what time I can with the children , when the house is quite then I crack on with the paper work

High stress environment.

Fast paced and high pressured place to work. Supportive colleagues and great job satisfaction but long hours and varying shifts over all days/nights of the year.

Cuts and austerity mean too few staff

Years of cuts and austerity have meant that there are too few staff to cater for too many people. Stressful and leads to a reactive approach but this isn't unique to HCC, it is true of all councils. Lots of great people doing their best.

Awful

I wouldn't recommend a 'career' as a carer with HCC to anyone. Bad management, staff over-workedConstantly adding more and more to your daily duties without financial compensation. Has a strong blame culture and an us and them attitude. Nurses and AP's won't help the care assistants as they claim it's not their job even though they are trained to do it.

Great

Great people and a great place to work! I genuinely enjoying going to work every day. We are valued and well looked after. The work life balance now we hybrid work is more than we could have asked for.

Nurturing workplace

Absolutely adored my job at Springwood Infant school. I miss it everyday but poor health was the cause of resigning the job I loved. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

Wouldn’t return

Immediate team were great, management are terrible. One rile for us & another for the. Would never work for HCC again. Treated unfairly. Overworked & underpaid.

Employer who cares

Hampshire is like any council very hierarchical and the pay is minimal. Getting things decided at strategy level is snails pace. However, they do seem to care about their employees wellbeing and progress within the organisation. I was there during a ‘restructure’ within libraries and a lot of staff were upset with the handling of that by senior management, but it is a difficult one to get ‘right’. Overall, what I expected from a council but also a lot of care for staff mental health and access to help, advice etc. my individual line managers were very caring and flexible particularly over the pandemic as I had children to homeschool and the library stayed open so it was a go into work/keyworker role.

Terrible culture

More interested in protecting organisation reputation than doing the right thing for the community. Senior leadership are driven more by personal interest than the interests of the organisation.

Bureaucratic approach

HCC is a very bureaucratic organisation where every i must be dotted and every t crossed before you'll get your job offer. Took around two months to start my role. People really nice, great supportive team who always responded and supported each other.

Pros

Job security, great supportive people to work with

Cons

Overly bureaucratic Expenses system not good Depending on your dept, little to no opportunity for promotion

Great team atmosphere

Good place to work and learn new skills. Good structured on boarding and support. Lots of assistance and a tailored e-learning platform.A varied role with no 2 days the same.

Good employer

Good employer, with fair pay and decent benefits as there should be by all employers. Work place friendly, good ream work and management fair and approachable.

Pros

holiday/sick pay

Cons

You have to produce constantly good work to be recognised in any way

A stressful place to work, difficult to progress - want experience but it's more to do with your face fitting or not.Tried to progress with loads of interviews without success - possibly to do with age

Pros

good sick pay

Cons

stress

Secure and relaxed

Secure and relaxed work, however not many posibilities to develop. Flexible working hours, you can always leave earlier provided that you stay longer another day to make up for it, no problems with holidays

Pros

flexible working hours, relaxed and supportive atmosphere

Cons

really low salary

Just dont

Awful culture of dinosaurs that rule with fear and threats. Petty middle managers that do nothing but delegate their own tasks to everyone else and take liberties due to their longevity. Expect to be broken, stressed and miserable for your duration. Much better off in the private sector with the extra benefits.

Pros

Cons

No benefits, no overtime, no pay rise.

Can be stressful, No career progression or support, only part time hours.

The workplace is beautiful, but the work can be stressful at busy times, like half-terms and holidays, with little management support and sometimes a bullying and patronising atmosphere.Good team to work with, despite varying shift patterns, but there are few rewards and no incentives and certainly no opportunity for career progression. The hardest part of the job is balancing all the demands, with too much emphasis on administrative duties, like data inputting, rather than customer focus and improving customer experience.The best part of the job is response from grateful members of the public who value good customer service.

Pros

discount off shop and restaurant

Cons

Long days in summer months due to long opening hours. Short lunch break

Very busy, not appreciated no career advancement

Very busy and stressful job with little appreciation. Upper Management does not listen to staff actually doing the job it’s a case of being told and if you don’t like it you know where the door is! Top heavy with management and no investment in admin staff. I would recommend a job elsewhere!

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Workload, no appreciation, no investment in admin staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hampshire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Hampshire County Council with

• Hampshire County Council
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?