Hampshire County Council

Hampshire County Council Employee Reviews

Workplace culture excellent and had support from management but virtually no permanent senior IT staff work on a Friday.Whilst the PMO processes / red-tape are long-winded, they have been implemented with good intentions to provide a structured environment because of the large number of IT change being undertaken.Getting resources at short-notice to do even simple tasks difficult without having gone through the relevant long-winded resource allocation processes.
Pros
Friendly staff and working environment.
Cons
Majority of permanent staff are on a 4 day week, difficult to organise resources unless booked weeks/months in advance.
Most awful job ever staff and management were horrible a unsupportive. They don't care as long as you are doing the job it was just terrible.. meant to get a free lunch but hardly ever got one and told there was no time to eat it
Pros
Free lunch if anyone gave you time to eat and then left over scraps
Cons
Cooks attitudes
Fantastic facilityAmazing teamApproachable managementOvertime availabilityChallengesVarietyGreat facilitiesGreat training programmeFully equipped
Toxic work culture cultivated by managers through micro-management and a clear blame culture. The organisation tries to push well-being however you’re unable to contact HR directly to raise any concerns. I was penalised heavily for being signed off work for Stress due to the environement that had been created. Everyone very tetchy, you’re not able to raise concerns to management due to fear of possible repercussion.
Cons
Blame Culture, Micro-Management, lack of Support
Good place to work everyone is lovely and friendly its like you are one big family working at crestwood school treated fairly if you had any problems someone was always there to lend a hand listen to you and help when needed
Cons
Working till 10.30 pm
Working for HCC provides several benefits, job security, pension, leave etc. but unfortunately the culture can be corrosive and demotivating.Managers have often been promoted beyond their abilities and have little or no apparent concern for their colleagues, which results in abuse of authority and little recourse to resolution.
Pros
Job security (usually)
Cons
Frustrating culture of incompetence
My time at the council was ultimately good, with some flaws with management, who used scare tactics that were unnecessary. My day to day duties were consistent, and you had a full team behind you if you needed a hand.
Pros
good hours, staff canteen, friendly colleagues
Cons
management
Two days are never the same, very busy and had to think on your feet. Plenty of opportunities for training which was strongly encouraged or mandatory. Managers were very fair and recognised the hard work of staff. The culture of my team was supportive. The hardest part of the job was stress and worry in dealing with people In crisis. It was difficult to switch off. The best part were feeling valued by colleagues and managers, receiving positive feedback, and the support of the team.
Pros
Team support. Every day is a new challenge.
Cons
Lack of resources
I'm a teacher in a secondary school in Hampshire. Everything has been processed quickly and efficiently. I love my team and I feel confident that my employer values me.
Pros
Average wage, working hour benefits, holiday pay
Learnt some new things but pretty easy. Not much training, good if you are a self starter and learn as you go. Management are not approachable and can be stand off ish and rude so work culture suffered. Not listened too nor would you get feedback if you submit changes. Not much respect.
Pros
Monday to Friday hours
Cons
Management, pay
Working at HCC can be demanding as there are deadlines which need to be met however the job is very rewarding - knowing you are providing a service. I have gained a lot of experience in office life through working here and I have great colleagues. Management can sometimes have unrealistic expectations of their staff and this can lead to employees' feeling under valued at times. The pay is not fantastic. You are required to take part in team building exercises and company activities. The most enjoyable aspect of this job is providing a service to the wider community and, the friendly colleagues I work with each day.
Pros
The people who work there and one or two benefits
Cons
Management expect too much of their staff and set unrealistic targets as a result.
Great team, no room for advance. Good pension and good pay for role. security of job well and good idea to be able to carry over pension and holiday if stay working for council.
It is a good place to work, but advancement is limited. Friendly environment and a good ethos. {ep[;e work hard, but socialise well. There are great catering facilities and plenty of space to meet in the café.
Enjoyed working here....just unfortunately I had to end my employment. I attended several courses that helped me with my work role. I gained confidence along the way. I was person centred.
Started 11 years ago and work through 2 bosses,now a 3 rd has come in and totally changed my fixed hours contract and made me work unsocial evening hours. They said if I didn’t agree to changes they’d terminate my contract. Pretty bad after giving them 11 years good service....
With Hampshire county council I have the benefit of knowing I will always get paid, any overtime worked is always honoured and I have the security of having a pension.
Okay place to work, Hampshire County Council however is slow and inefficient in responding to issues with regards to pay issues, hours, contracts etc... However the nature of the job is engaging, reasonable rate of pay and good people to work with. Mangement needs improvements
All staff are very friendly, collaborative and supportive of each other. There is active and on-going encouragement for advancement. Robust training schedules have now been employed in our department.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Senior management organisation
Although the job pays very well, it comes with a lot of stress. It’s hard to switch off when you get home, because the job is mentally and physically draining. Higher management are disorganised, but I think it’s due to the fact they have such a big workload. Numerous staff members have been signed off with stress and anxiety because the workload and shift patterns can be too hard to manage.
Enhanced rates of pay for out of hour Yearly Increments Good annual leave entitlement Good work life balance Long hours 12 hour shifts Weekend working Regular training
Restricted to having holidays in school holidays expected to cover sick shifts as well as ur own shift. Routes changed at short notice. Different drivers sometimes every day on different routes not good for the children