Hand Picked Hotels

Hand Picked Hotels Employee Reviews

Busy workplace

I would usually do the breakfast shift starting at 7 am on the weekends and there used to be up to 90 guests on average. It was quite hectic but I enjoyed my time working there.

21 October 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review on your employment experience at Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time working there. We know that weekend breakfast shifts can be very busy so thank you for your support and for helping to make it an enjoyable experience for our guests. Kind regardsKatie Owlett - Resourcing Manager

Enjoyed my stay

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel as a bartender, although there were many times that the kitchen staff were very rude and disrespectful. The management are awful and are of no help.

Pros

Free Lunches

Cons

Long shifts

Not nice

Honestly it was very stressful, management was bad and would leave everyone else to do their job and some weekends no managers at all would be in.If you didn’t know what you were doing you wouldn’t get any help. Had to deal with getting shouted at by guests/members when it was things I had nothing to do with and managers just let you deal with it yourself.Only good thing was meeting nice co workers

Pros

free lunches

Cons

Having no social life because your always working.

The worst

The worst company I’ve ever had the displeasure of working for. Seriously disorganised, old fashioned behaviour. Avoid at al costs, and if you accept a position, don’t eat the food.

Pros

They pay you.

Cons

Toxic and lazy management

Ettington Park Hotel

Not a bad place, I have seen worse, for sure. Local management is good,support is present in most of the areas. I have interracted with some top class trainers/managers in this place, and learned a lot about the hotel bussiness, and not only.

Pros

training, proffessional workplace

Cons

Your paycheck will not be amazing

21 October 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and for the 5 star rating! Its really nice to receive such positive feedback about your training and interactions with the management team at Ettington Park Hotel. In terms of pay we would note that all of our team members and supervisors are paid hourly for all of the hours that they work, each receive a share of the Hotel service charge (100% of which is split between the team) and we also offer some great benefits such as heavily discounted staff stays. Thank you once again for making the effort to write this review.

Great company to work for

I loved the training and staff here at the company I have experienced some of my best moments in life from here and working with the people and the customer

Pros

Great pay and training

Cons

Staff accommodation

21 October 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and for the 5 star rating!It's really positive to hear that your experience working with Hand Picked Hotels at St Pierre Park was so positive.I know almost all of our team in Guernsey live in our on site staff accommodation and for this reason we make every effort to ensure this is maintained to a high standard for our colleagues so that they feel at home.Thank you again for your review. Kind regards Katie Owlett - Group Resourcing Manager

Left me with no job

After COVID-19 they never employed me again and made me jobless. I worked nap hard there and even did things I wasn’t supposed to. Bad place to work......

Pros

Nice staff

Cons

Cheap pay. Unorganised management

1 December 2020
We are sorry to read your review and the comments within it. As you are aware the Covid-19 pandemic has had a massive impact on the hospitality industry and as a group we had to close our Hotels in July as part of the government lockdown rules and restrictions. As a Company we have utilised the government furlough scheme for our employees however unfortunately some new starters and casual workers did not qualify for payments under this scheme. This was in no way a reflection on anyone’s job performance and I am confident this was communicated to you by our business leaders. I appreciate your positive comments about your colleagues and sincerely hope that you have now secured alternative employment. If you would like any support, whether that might just be some CV advice, please do not hesitate either myself or Katie Owlett – Group Resourcing Manager and we would be glad to assist you and to discuss possible future job opportunities.

Horrible and chaotic

I spent months without any help or training, no log-ins, no uniform, no KPIs. I got blackmailed by a senior manager, and found out another senior person was sabotaging my work to make me look incompetent. I got told I was not right in the head when I confided in my boss. That was the point where I just left. I have never worked for a more incompetent company in my life. They do not want to hear someting is wrong. Either you fit in perfectly, or you run for the hills. We lost 15 senior staff members in the months I was there, all burned out or bullyed away.

Pros

Beautiful buildings, reasonable pay

Cons

Total and utter organisational chaos.

1 December 2020
We are sorry to read your comments relating to your employment experience which is certainly not representative of a Hand Picked Hotels employment experience. Your review includes some very serious allegations which if experienced should have been discussed and raised formally at the time. As a Company I am confident that if these had been raised they would have been investigated formally however without further detail on your actual role or the Hotel you worked at it is very difficult to comment or review this matter further.With this is mind I would ask that you contact us so that we can better understand your comments and allegations raised. Please do either call 07432 108290 or email ceaton@handpicked.co.uk. Carolyn Eaton - Resourcing Executive

Not bad

Not a bad place to work but don’t expect to get your weekend off. Good people but understaffed and sometimes the communication is none existent and some departments are lazy

1 December 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review about your employment experience with Hand Picked Hotels and I am pleased to see that you are still working with us. It is unfortunate when you find that some members of your team are not as committed as you are and in the first instance we would always suggest you raise concerns of this nature with your line manager. In the meantime thank you for your continued loyalty and hard work, it is greatly appreciated.Carolyn Eaton - Resourcing Executive

Nice company, family feel

Hospitality is very demanding, but it is nice to work for a company that does want to look after you and does not expect their 'pound of flesh' However, as a manager you are expected to work well over your contracted hours. There is a genuine family feel to the company.

Pros

free food on duty, cheap hotel stays; spa treatments and gym membership

1 December 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a positive review about your employment with us. It is pleasing to hear that you feel part of the family as this is one of our core company values and I hope you do find the time to take advantage of some of our great company benefits. I am sure your Hotel Management team and colleagues are grateful for the hours you work, just to remind you that overtime is not compulsory and any concerns can be raised to your General Manager or HR. I would like to thank you for your continued loyalty and hard work, it is greatly appreciated.Carolyn Eaton - Resourcing Executive

Jobs at Hand Picked Hotels

See more jobs

Brilliant place to work with great people and friends.

Loved working here as the maintenance supervisor and regularly go back to see new and old friends as they are still very welcoming, if the money had been more with opportunities to advance into the management role I would of stayed for life . Great atmosphere to be apart of.

Pros

Great working culture and support from management and colleagues.

Cons

Not a lot of job advancement opportunities within my discipline.

18 March 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this review on your employment experience with Hand Picked Hotels at Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa. It is really pleasing to hear that you found the working environment and atmosphere to be so positive and welcoming. We appreciate that our maintenance teams are often very stable which can limit progression opportunities for some members of the team but hope that perhaps in the future a suitable opportunity may become available for you again.

Terrble company

No care for staff, no care for hygiene, no care for customers. Would not recommend working here. A pathetic excuse for a business STAY AWAY!! Don't misunderstand, I would gjve zero stars if I could.

18 March 2020
We are sorry to read your comments relating to your employment experience. We have reviewed and discussed your comments with the Hotel management team but remain unclear as to which role or department you may have worked in or when you may have left as we have certainly not had any feedback of this nature raised directly or during our exit interview process within the last year.We would always encourage team members experiencing any dissatisfaction or concerns to either speak to their Manager or a member of the HR team so that we can aim to help resolve these. To confirm we certainly do care about our teams, hygiene and of course our guests and are very sorry that you did not feel this to be the case. It is difficult to comment any further without having any information as to why you felt this way but we wish you all the best for the future.

easy job

Good company to start easy job but no progres in work.Chef is great and working atmosfere very good.Unfortunatelly no owertime so t6his is reason I left place.

10 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive 5 star review for Hand Picked Hotels and Alex Mackins our Executive Head Chef at Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa. We are sorry to hear that you decided to move on due to there not being any overtime available - this can often be the case within Hotels after Christmas in January however this normally picks up again now so if you do wish to be considered for a role with us again in the future, please do get in touch!

Happy at Handpicked

I started with Handpicked Hotels at the end of November - it is a great place to work; support, training, information & resources are all in place with a fantastic team. I would strongly recommend joining to anyone who is looking for a role in hospitality, whether an enjoyable part time job or for career progression for the future. A key focus is Handpicked Behaviour - in a nutshell - play nice, work hard & be supportive & caring.

Pros

Great benefits, Great team, Great support

10 February 2020
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review about your experience so far working with Hand Picked Hotels.We aim to provide support and training for all of our team members so its very positive to see that you have recognised this and that in your role you will be able to play a key role in ensuring other new starters get the same level of support. Thank you!

Good Management Style

Had a very good managerial style and good training process. Looks after the staff very well. Motivates the staff and empower in dealing with customer service.

23 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Fawsley Hall Hotel & Spa. Its great to hear that you appreciated the management style and training processes and that you felt the team were well looked after! We will of course share your feedback with the team.

excellent company with a true progression available

Ive found working at Hand Picked Hotels, extremely rewarding, great benefits, good work life balance with a great career pathway. the interview process was extremely thorough and well constructed, all the information i needed was explained in detail in a thoughtful and professional manner.

31 December 2019
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review. Its great to hear that your experience of working for Hand Picked Hotels as a Chef has been so positive!

The best move I have ever made!

Moving from working for independently owned hotels to Hand Picked certainly opened my eyes with regards to the lack of structure I had experienced before. Hand Picked welcome you as a family member from the outset and will give you every tool you need to make yourself, your career and the hotel better in every way. If you are looking for a hospitality career that has a solid moral grounding, and wants to look after its staff in every way then I couldn't recommend Hand Picked more.

Pros

Training, Development, Progression, Brilliant Team Work, Friendly.

Cons

You get out what you put in.

31 December 2019
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review on your employment experience with Hand Picked Hotels. Its great to hear that you were made to feel welcome and part of the Hand Picked family and that you are enjoying your role!

The company offer inept training for your role and journey within company to do the best you can and to gain knowledge for future roles. It is a great team to work with and everyone helps each other

Pros

Training, Discounted hotels

Cons

can be unsocial hours

31 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about your employment experience with Hand Picked Hotels. Your feedback on the team and the training provided by the Company is greatly appreciated.

A lovely team, a company that cares about you

They invest a lot into their team and are passionate about the company, which is transferred to it's employees. A great company to work for who look after you.

31 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your positive comments about working for Hand Picked Hotels.

Professional place to work

Professional place to work. Good management but problem to find staff as all the hotels are in the village's. So doesn't matter how many hours you work is not enough. Overtime not paid, very difficult to find personal life balance

31 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your comments about the professionalism of the Company. It is true that due to our Hotel locations employees often need to be able to drive as there can be very limited public transport however it is also for this reason that we offer live in accommodation with a number of positions at the majority of our Hotels.In response to your comments regarding overtime - All team members and Supervisors are paid for every hour that they work including any overtime. Our Managers are encouraged to take any additional days worked back in lieu however these are also paid if they can not be taken within the following payroll period.

Can see the potential in the role however the reality did not meet the expectation

Did not meet my expectations, nothing ever dealt with, always chasing fires and putting them out rather than dealing with the smoke before the fire. No training given, no communication lack of guidance from HODs, high expectations however feel extremely let down by the company which is a shame because I am sure it could be a great place to work.

31 December 2019
We are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed in your experience with us and will always endeavour to take on board feedback received.Although I don’t believe it is either fair or accurate for you to say that you didn’t receive any training, I acknowledge from reading your feedback that you would very much have liked to have received more training and development in your role with us. It would not be appropriate for me to comment in this forum on the particular circumstances to which you refer, however I am sorry if there have been occasions where you have felt ill-equipped to deal with the inevitable challenges you faced in the role and that you felt let down by your experience. We wish you all the best for the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand Picked Hotels. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement