handmade burger Co

handmade burger Co Employee Reviews

United Kingdom66 reviews

Insights into handmade burger Co

Areas for improvement
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Management is awful

It's amazi g for the first few weeks and then you really get to see what it's like, wouldn't waste my time here and feel sorry for the people that do, honestly would rather have no job than work here again.

Unorganised chaos

Opened way too early not even close to ready, threw in just eat whilst short staffed and then complained when you turned it off to relieve kitchen. Absolutely not a clue what they are doing and only a matter of time before it fails again

Pros

Free staff food

Cons

15-16 hour shifts, no progression

bad company

Total joke company. There wasnt 1 month in my working time that i got paid properly. And my final salary was not even paid.(after threats with police)

Pros

free food on break

Cons

everything else

Horrible experience

Awful management, completely take the mickey with staff hours and contracts. Managers are encouraged to write secret reviews of staff instead of having a constructive conversation. If you werent management you were a 0 hour contract, multiple occasions i was told my shift would be for example a 12-9, i would arrive for my shift and be told it wasnt busy enough to have me start so i should sit upstairs (unpaid) until it was busy enough.Upon the opening of the East Kilbride store they anticipated a much busier opening and hired too many staff members so the had multiple mystery shoppers in the first week of opening when the staff had minimal training and sacked many of the staff due to their performance in the mystery shop, even if they had made small errors. There was no understanding or empathy from management, no opportunity to improve, given that the staff had just been on the job a week or so.

Pros

Lunch was provided but it was the basic burgers (no cheese or other toppings)

Cons

Long hours, awful management from team leaders all the way up to area managers.

Terrible just terrible

Management and team leaders are like a clique, really rude and whisper and laugh at new workers instead of helping them. Hardly any training, had maybe an hour or 2 overall. Branch is terrible regarding anyone's personal life, for example I was called and my partner had ,had a stroke, as my 12hr shift had only 5 mind left I asked to leave as he was being put on life support, I was huffed at and was told I was unreliable, I never went back . Also, I saw (and so did the rest of the restuarant) 2 managers scream at another waitress and reduced her to a panic attack,

Pros

Get to wear jeans

great place

friendly staff, helpful management, thoroughly enjoyed my time here, shift pattern was pretty nice, earliest you would work would be 8am and the latest you would finish was around 11pm

Horrendous

The manager is horrible all the staff and doesn't know what she is doing. Head office don't care and treat you really badly. The only good thing is the team you work with as they look out for eachother.

Productive and Fun

A typical day at work is relaxing and occasionally busy. I have learned to organize my time and to always space work out. I have also learned how to communicate and work in a team. Management is relaxed and will calmly take any situations really well. The culture is mixed and we did all work well as a team. The hardest part of the job is to make customers happy. The most enjoyable part of the job is team building.

No good place for work, dont waste your time

Horrible and Irresponsible management. constantly cutting hours. staff really lazy delay on the pay holidays. No materials for can work properly{ Gloves, bags. etc etc too much teenegers who dosnt care about the job Changes in rota the same day suppose go to work. Definetelly dont waste your time in this company only good thing was free staff food

Stay away - work ethic of management is awful and you wont get paid!!

Horrendous company to work for - They withhold your wages with no explanation or reason. Bailiffs turn up to take control of equipment because the don’t pay their bills and if you leave you get accused of stealing and they don’t pay you!! Multiple ACAS claims against this company for not paying employees! Senior Management remove hours from employees clocking in records so they don’t get paid correctly and then deny doing such a thing. No training or development, no contracts. This is a company based on lies and deceit - STAY AWAY from this cowboy company!!! False Advertisement - Burgers are bought in from suppliers already pressed and ready. Fresh Cut chips aren’t fresh cut at all, they’re bought in frozen!!

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at handmade burger Co?

Stay away

Worked here for a few months, wasn't aware of the zero hour contract. Manager talks about all the staff, minuscule things that she'll point out. NO rewards. Manager is lazy doesn't support her staff, just shouts at them and expects too much from them for such little pay. Guilt trips you into doing overtime but won't pay you for it, overtime has to be authorised by the manager. They'll make you clock out and do work and say they'll put it through the system but don't actually. (BEWARE!!) You get the current weeks rota a few days in advance. Will be shouted at if you're genuinely sick and can't make it in. No holiday pay, no guaranteed hours. They will make you come in for a 2 hour shift - don't come in because it's not worth your time?? you won't get any hours the following week. Front of house and back of house staff are really nice and friendly, Manager is not. Don't work here, especially if you're younger. They will take advantage of the low minimum wage for under 25's. (£4.35-£7.70) Know your rights, you can legally refuse a shift on zero hour contracts but the manager will make you feel bad and tell you different.

One of the worst places I've worked

awful place to work, worked under the first owners and was fine but as soon as the new owner took over the place took a massive dive, these problems involved: Not paying properly or withholding pay No holiday pay Head office are useless The organisation of this company is an absolute joke The burgers aren't even handmade anymore they come in premade which is false advertisement overall do not work for this company.

Avoid

Terrible place to work at. Bullying tactics from management.. will threaten your job, your hours and will withhold wages for no apparent reason. Minimal training and then you’re expected to know/do everything. Managers don’t manage. Team leaders don’t lead. The place has no organisation. Hours vary with no reason. Standards are lacking, the food isn’t even handmade, was even told to lie by management if customers ever asked!! High staff turnover, staff leaving weekly! Favouritism. There are much better places to work at for minimum wage, this place is not worth the stress. Avoid.

New levels of low

This ownership/senior management of this company are a disgrace. Every time you think they can't go lower, they do. They have no problem unjustly withholding wages and holiday pay, counting on people not realising what they're entitled to or fighting for what they've earned. They are petty, childish liars who treat staff as nothing.....genuine quote I heard from the owner......'Who cares if they leave, we'll just get some one else'. That's all before you get to the fact that they don't know what they are doing - the company has nosedived since they took over. The food and general standards are rock bottom - the burgers aren't even handmade any more! So sad that what was once a good company will die because of a few arrogant, clueless, horrible people.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Literally everything else

One of the worse company in uk

Basically I worked for this company in Birmingham. I can say that every way worse company in uk 🇬🇧 No respect No work time table Everything mass up Manager are very rude

Worst company ever

I’d give zero starts if It wasn’t for some of the lovely people I worked with. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS FAILING COMPANY. Biggest regret of my life was working as hard as I did for a company that bullies staff and refuses to pay them.

Pros

Nice team

Poor

Exceptionally poor environment, ruled by broken promises and flash characters. No consistency apart from the suppliers who were fabulous. People should steer clear.

Run from this company

I have been employed for two months and I didn’t get paid. The top managers don’t care about the staff, just about their money. No training, no support and poor HR. I had to make a claim and take the company to court. This was the most disgusting work experience in 15 years of hospitality. Do not trust this company!

Cons

awful, don’t even waste your time

The management are some of the most unprofessional and rude people I have ever met. Childish atmosphere, constant speaking about each other behind one another’s back. There are very little staff yet manager gave me zero shifts around 2/3 months at the beginning of this year and is extremely inconsistent with hours. I was given no proper training, just expected to know the entire process even though it was my first job. Manager is hard to talk to, lazy and just all together doesn’t care about her employees. Speaks and shares information about individuals to the rest of the team and does not listen or remotely show any care/interest when you approach her with an issue. Almost every member of staff she’s had in have left due to issues with the way she treats them. Overall, I wouldn’t continue working here if I was offered better pay. The job is shocking, belittling and just overall an awful atmospheres.

Pros

Free food

Cons

The manager

Great Atmosphere to work in.

This was a great opportunity to gain customer service experience. My working day involved meeting and greeting customers, Serving customers with food and drinks as well as clearing tables and washing up. The management were very approachable and friendly. My colleagues were very friendly and approachable when there were any work related issues. The hardest part of the job was that there were times where the Restaurant was exceptionally quiet due to a very small amount of customers. This then resulted in me not being able to get extra hours to work. The most enjoyable part was having a great bond with my colleagues due to it being a smaller Restaurant and getting to know all of my colleagues well.

Pros

Customer service

Cons

Quiet

Small and friendly 'Handmade' family

I use to work at Handmade for nearly two years. Easy job, nice staff, lovelly management. It is not the busiest place, but it is decent. Serving fresh beef burgers for customers and getting a positive feedback was my favourite part of this job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at handmade burger Co. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7

2.5Job security/advancement
  • handmade burger Co
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?