Hanson

Hanson Employee Reviews

Depending on your job title which quarry, plant, or premises you worked at the pace of work depends on how busy your area is at time and can go from hectic to relaxed. All the people I have worked with in the quarries of the North Wales area were like a big family, site safety was of the most importance. Obviously various post have different criterions, I found our immediate management good helpful and switched on, but the higher management in the various main offices dotted around the country, a bit vague and putting undue regulations and restrictions on the workers at the sharp end. Overall Hansons is a good company to work for, and I spent 30 mainly happy years there, overall I rate Hanson 4 out of 5 star as I think that any company has room for improvement no matter how big they are
Pros
for me, working with a great bunch of guys in a great area
Cons
again for me, as a outdoor worker, early starts, late hours, and can be harsh conditions
Fast paced but relaxed atmosphere, very health and safety, management easy to talk too even up to the MD. Found my colleagues to be very friendly and helpful.
Pros
Onsite bistro
Cons
Onsite free parking
Started with Hanson Oct 2018 and haven't looked back. Made to feel very welcome and an integral part of the team from day 1. Fully supportive management, operations and technical teams that are always there for help & advice. Very relaxed atmosphere, but always crack on and get the work done professionally. What else can I say, being made redundant by a competitor was the best thing that happened to me.
Pros
support from above, great team of colleagues.
Cons
cant think of any!
I have worked for Hanson now for 6.5 years, I started as an apprentice and have since had three promotions!The business offers a huge amount of support for those who show willingness to progress. You have to work hard, but are well rewarded with a competitive salary, plenty of holiday and excellent employee benefits.Job security is fantastic; colleagues are always happy to assist and help; and the business is eager to encourage new people from any background to apply!
Pros
Supportive Management, Transparent, Inclusive, Plenty of Opportunity
Cons
Quite long hours
Management = Absolutely Clueless, Unsupportive & most of the time non existent. Also very untrust worthy Work Load = Unorganised, too much for one person Pay = Not worth it huge pay gaps between jobs that do the same amount of work or less Parking is absolutely shocking And god forbid you park in the neighbourhood streets you will get attacked or your belongings vandalised for parking there. So be prepared for a hour 45 minute round trip up the a46 at 5pm to collect your car from a park and ride Claim they help mental health when they couldn’t be less helpful and make you feel bad / guilt for any time of even if you need “ten minutes”Just avoid it’s not worth it
Pros
Cons
Everything above
If you drive for Hanson the company I drove for where awful , no idea on employment law don’t care if you work or not just want to earn themselves money , worse job iv had in 25 yrs awful franchise , will hire you and just drop you when it suits them , they get funny if you drive for some one else if there is no work from them, they expect you to just sit at home waiting for a call there’s some work , which you get day by day so have no idea what your going to earn o e week to the next
Pros
Good day rate
Cons
Everything else
Hanson tries to give itself an image of a caring company, this includes access to a 24/7 helpline for mental health problems for staff (they say that there is a high risk of suicide, although I was lucky not to witness one). The mental health number is probably often engaged, as Hanson is the opposite of caring; it promotes those who are the best at pretending that there are no problems (seniors prefer good lies to the honest truth - how else could the whole company pretend that all is well), it is not envisaged to promote anyone who is good at their work - this is not possible, as it would leave too many idiots who are mostly busy promoting themselves, but who are too dumb to do the work, and someone still needs to do the work, hence good people are not eligible for promotions. When you see a job at Hanson and read all those great benefits, always remember that not all of them are actually true and keep in mind why a company feels obliged to self promote to such a degree. Don't say that you have not been warned.
Pros
If you value your health, you can stay away
Cons
Working there is guaranteed to ruin your health and well being
I have really enjoyed my experience with Hanson so far, there is a really good workplace environment and I have been given lots of support throughout my timer here.
I have recently been recruited less than three months ago as a LEAD Apprentice. so far, I have found that every other employee that I have spent time with has been very supportive and happy to answer any of my questions. The pay is increadibly good for someone of my age and easily satisfies my travel and personal costs. The manager of my site is very helpful and always offers assistance whenever asked or not. In summary, I can say that I work alongside very supportive managers and operatives.
Pros
work ethic on site, feel valued
Cons
I was on a LEAD programme and found it disorganised, competitive in a snakey way and that management lost their cool very easily. I found my manager manipulative and aggressive. There was constant speaking negatively about other members of staff, sexist attitudes were rife. It was not very professional. The programme I was on was so disorganised. You were told you have to self manage, but this was used as an excuse to not actually do much for the staff. It was a streamline effort to minimise staff, but it just didnt work from a training point of view.
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Beware of companies that pretend to be staff focused, it may be a cover-up. Hanson treats staff as a commodity of little value.The part of the company under review performs administrative tasks and pays poorly. Consequently, the job is mind numbingly monotonous and provides few useful or transferable skills. Staff are constantly monitored, which adds more stress. Naturally, the company offers no job security and fires people at will for no reason, other than personal ones, and without warning. They call it 'restructuring'.The company is stuck in the past in other areas too. They have not yet discovered flexi-time, nor working from home. For Hanson it is simply not conceivable to manage a team remotely, although everything is done online.Furthermore, management is often clue-less and cannot even perform the simple tasks that their staff do, but they spend endless hours in meetings and are therefore not available when needed.Overall, Hanson is a terrible place to work: AVOID
Pros
The best thing is to stay away
Cons
No job security, boring work, constant supervision, stress
Worse than anything you could possibly ever imagine - management an absolute nightmare. They bully, fire people for no reason, come up with the most bizarre decisions and policies, you wouldn't believe it unless you see it. Avoid at all costs! Your mental and physical health and happiness of your family is not worth this place.
I had over 20 years with Henson aggregate I trained on all aspects of quarry work I spent my last 12 years as quarry forman I trained for shot firing at Doncaster college I all so did training in health and safetyIf you are willing to work hard and let the company know your willing to train you can move up in the company Safety is one of Henson big thing's very good on safety throughout the company
Pros
Hard work and willing to traine is key
Cons
Very good pension all the different job's you can do
The management seem to blunder along making poor/bad decisions whilst maintaining they are looking at the bigger picture.The morale of the workforce is very low with no inclination to shine in the eyes of the management.
Worst place to work avoid if possible... a lot of racism and cliques . The racism there is too much . Management bad and also bad treatment. People there are just wicked most especially the concrete . Support system is zero . Avoid Avoid Avoid.
Pros
Cons
Racism and bad managers
Work was ok, three man shifts working 4 on 4 off but the management always seemed to want to cut the squads down and change the shift system The COVID situation seemed to play right into their hands and they made redundancies on the basis of “ sales forecasts “ Fellow workers were a mix of great guys and back stabbers so probably nice to get out and move on
Pros
Wage every month
Cons
No loyalty from management
Young inexperienced managers ...makes an unorganised business ...difficulty In dealing with 3 rd parties due to lack of cooperation with in the business...lack of communication and accountability....
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours of work ...parking...
Horrible managers, team leaders and overall nasty environment. Parking is pathetic. Team leaders and management sit back stabbing staff where others can hear. Management need to spend less time on a power trip and actually do something.
Pros
Ideal location
Cons
Bad management and parking
The training is formulaic and based on improvised, random work experience of the seniors, unstructured, chaotic. Once certain managers have got it in personally for you, whether because of social convictions, religious beliefs or even their own poor education, there is no chance to survive the training period.
Pros
Good salary, willing company members
Cons
Managers with a power complex
If you work under subcontractors isn’t fair, sometimes you will go in ulez and the subcontractors never pay. Go straight away to Hanson and you will stay with this company.
This is a good place to work who look after their staff, worked there for many years and they put me through various courses to enable me to perform better.
  1. Employee reviews