Hargreaves Lansdown

Hargreaves Lansdown Employee Reviews

HL is only focused on making money off new clients and doesn't value its long standing employees or clients. They pay the minimum they possibly can for the maximum hours they can squeeze out of you. Feedback given to the managers is never taken on board and the work atmosphere is so bad. All the managers spend every week getting drunk in the local pub and rock up to work hung over. The work load per person is ridiculous and many people are signed off for stress.
My experience with Hargreaves Lansdown was friendly, fair and enjoyable. The workplace culture was great and i only left as i had the opportunity to go to university.i returned to work there in between my first and second year of University during the summer holidays.
I feel it’s my duty to advise potential Security Officers who are thinking about applying for a job within HL what they’d actually be walking in to❗️The security manager has very little experience and to be quite frank couldn’t even manage to organise his team to work together , instead he used the divide and conquer approach , bullies his staff into doing his work for him , threatens staff with their job , he did this to me whilst on probation because I informed him about core officers failing to implicate simple procedures such as signing in keys , leaving access cards vulnerable and much more . So whilst on probation I tried to make a good impression by reporting this only to receive my so called security manager ringing me after a 12 hour shift to say “ HE DOES NOT KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I WILL BE EMPLOYED BY HARGREAVES LANSDOWN IF I CONTINUE TO UPSET HIS NUMBER 1 GUARDS “ this wasn’t in person but rather him shouting down the phone at me whilst on the reception of the office . He also makes core staff intimidated by talking down to them , making them feel stupid , inferior and treating them worse off than agency security that are employed to cover shifts which is quite often because the security team turnover is high , I wonder why now I have left . The company fails to train its employees and the so called training I received consisted of me reading out of date , incorrect assignment instructions and walking around the building being left to my own devices . No actual training was provided , even when it came to appraisals we were just given a booklet to fill in - more...
Pros
Pension
Cons
Poor management, no care for employees
This company took distinct advantage of sourcing over qualified, degree educated individuals to shuffle their papers.Management who had been there several years were useless and outright bullies. As a young woman who required adjustments to my working day owing to pregnancy and long term health issues, I was purposely scapegoated and made to feel uncomfortable. This was purely a consequence of management fearing there would be no one to do the donkey work whilst they had an extra coffee. The culture was non existent - unless you subscribe to a 90s, male dominant environment. Please don’t apply. They will not value your efforts, there won’t be any progression and they will take complete advantage of you. I learnt the hard way-I lost my first baby. Really not a good environment for anyone.
Cons
Awful environment, long hours, horrendous culture
Two face people, don't join even if you are desperate. Run away if you got the job through the agency. People who started with me got sacked because they were ill for few days and they needed bit more refresher training and time to go live on calls. Agencies are not going to stand up for you as they only care about there commision. Trainers are so arrogant who don't like newbies asking them questions. Line managers and management are not bothered if you are struggling with something. Some floor managers are not bothered to say "Good Morning". They are nice to your face and when you finish work, you will receive a call that they are terminating your contract without giving you a chance to take your belongings. Everybody working in help desks are miserable and not welcoming.
Pros
You get a goodie bag
Cons
No parking, too much pressure, unfriendly and arrogant trainers.
Thoroughly enjoyed placement.It was fast paced with a very vibrant feel to the office. Everyone worked very hard to deliver an excellent client service.
The rewards are there if you work hard. You can progress in your career, again if you work hard. Your efforts will be appreciated and rewarded. Can be demanding
While working at HL I felt that I was offered opportunity to progress my career as well as the option to move into different departments. The team I worked within were very supportive and an absolute pleasure to be around.
Ill paint the picture, cramped conditons, nearly zero natural light, low clostrophobic celings very long days, Hours and hours upon end staring at a computer screen, always talking to customers, stresses you to the max, very pretentious staff and you have to cram far too much information for what the job is worth, breaks arent long enough to recover, and mind-numbing bbboring,
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Low pay for what work you are expected to do. Zero care for staff welfare or health. Made to feel guilty for being under work stress. Management only care for themselves. Avoid at all costs, worst company I have ever worked for.
Never worked for a company so bad in all my life. Was told it doesn't matter not having any experience within finance but after being offered a job here this appeared to be false. After 3 days of very bad training I had to do a test and obviously after 3 days of appalling training I'm not exactly going to get full marks, the day after I was emailed very unprofessionally being told I had to go to the office asap for a catch up meeting and raised concerns of my progress. The week after I had to get 80% or more on a test or they would terminate my contract, they could clearly see how hard I was trying as I was staying behind voluntarily to learn as much as I could. Straight after I did my test I was called into an isolated room with 2 managers, got told I don't reach their needs and got fired abuse at me, got made to feel like a doormat then got told to get my things and then got escorted out the building in front of everyone which was highly embarrassing and very dramatic. A few days after a few people who I met on the group interview had told me they had also been sacked for not being up to their 'standards' don't know who they think they are tbh, Bristol never fails to surprise me! Wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy.
Pros
A Tesco near by and the fact I got sacked
Official response from Hargreaves Lansdown
16 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we value feedback and are constantly striving to improve from it. Firstly, I’m sorry to hear that your time at HL didn’t feel like a positive experience. It sounds as though our training process has evolved considerably since you joined the company. We’ve invested a lot of time over the past year or so, to ensure that HL is a supportive place to work for all employees. We try to equip our new Helpdesk consultants with the knowledge they will need to succeed in the role. As you mentioned in your review, we do welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, with varying levels of past experience, and we’re aware that digesting this amount of new information can be intense. Because of this, we’ve developed a structured training academy for our new starters, to support them through this process. During the first couple of weeks at HL, it’s all about welcoming new colleagues to HL, learning in the classroom and listening to calls. At around week 2-4, Helpdesk Consultants are introduced to a test. This is designed to gauge their own knowledge and to see if they’re ready to ‘go solo’ around week 4. Throughout this process we aim to tailor this, where possible, to suit individual’s needs. I’m sorry that this wasn’t your experience when you joined us. Your feedback has been shared so that we can learn from this and continue to improve our training programmes. Thank you
Somebody described this place as pretentious and that’s the perfect word. Also add the word robotic. If your face doesn’t fit there’s no chance of succeeding here. The job caused me so much anxiety and shot my self esteem. There was a very sneaky, manipulative culture in my department. Management treat staff like numbers instead of people. There is a lot of sly bullying which is hard to put on record and management aren’t approachable due to a them and us culture. A very demeaning experience and happy I chose to leave.
Pros
Free oxygen
Cons
Was just a temp job for a few months whilst searching for something permanent after moving to Bristol. Worst place I have ever worked!!! worked in new business operations. Management is incompetent. Conflicting aims around productivity and quality of work. Everyone hates there job in fighting and bitchyness loads of people off on stress leave. take that what you will don't learn anything. just do basic admin and data entry. You are better off working for a less well know company. do not take the new business/ admin roles at this company
Pros
9 to 5
Cons
to much to list
progression is difficult and HL expect you do outperform your position to show willing to be considered for a greater position.........................
Pros
good knowledge and training
Cons
progression - exploitation
I want to stay here forever. Great company, great people, great job. All in all the most satisfying role I have had, I will be here a long time. Great career prospects.
Good to work for friendly staff and easy to talk to with problems. Everyone felt like a member of a close knit team and everyone felt they individually had an important role in this team.
I worked on a short contract as a software tester for part of the companies website, the support team was always helpful and worked quickly to correct any issues.
Pros
up to date software and hardware
Had only an interview with this company. This lasted 4 hours and was full of pretentious staff that stated it did not matter if you had no financial background however made me feel minuscule, stupid and was very overly pretentious. If your face did not fit they were very rude & judgemental. Disgraceful interview and I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Plenty of training is provided so that even novices will feel confident discussing investments with clients on the phone. However little direct support is offered if you find spending very long periods on the phone. A lot is expected of Helpdesk colleagues to maintain industry leading client support.
Pros
Social events
Cons
Long hours, Unsociable
Working for Hargreaves Lansdown was fun and lovely people to work with. The only downside was the working hours. No matter what hour you start you always finish at an unsociable hour.
Cons
Long Hours
A busy department with young management. There are a lot of opportunities to switch departments and learn skills to help you in your future career. Great support for career development an professional qualifications.