Harris Federation
Happiness score is 40 out of 100

Harris Federation Employee Reviews

United Kingdom88 reviews

High performing and hard working central team

Everyone at the Federation is hard working and genuinely cares about improving outcomes for students. Colleagues are friendly and there is a good atmosphere to work in. Finance are always looking to improve.Work/life balance is improving and the pay/benefits package is good for the sector. The hardest part of the job (as with most large companies) is the decision-making timescales.

Pros

Colleagues, high performing organisation

Cons

Limited hybrid/flexible working (though this is improving), low levels of delegated authority

Avoid!

No life work balance! The expectations set are unrealistic. You constantly are under scrutiny from SLT. It is a very stressful environment to work in.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, unrealistic expectations, lack of support

Insights into Harris Federation

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment

Professional & Secure Employer

I have worked for Harris Federation for 12 years and would see myself staying for the duration of my working life. Opportunities and progression always on offer and a job where you will feel supported. I feel proud to be part of the Harris family and the investment we all put in changing so many children's lives.

Pros

No two days the same, always interesting

Cons

Sometimes long hours to complete deadlines

Do not work at this Academy unless you want no life!

There is no work life balance at the school and your mental health will suffer as it is very stressful. No matter how many hours and how much you put into the job they are never satisfied and always want more from you despite you doing the best you can and everything better than being at a very high standard. The pay is good but that is about the only positive. I would not recommend working for Harris Federation!

Pros

Slightly better than average pay Good resources

Cons

Long hours, no work life balance, stressful job, management not good and put too much pressure on staff, they are never happy, not recommended!

Very organised place to work at

Very professional workplace. Disciplined and great work ethic instilled within the school. Support system is phenomenal and tha includes the Academy consultants going around assisting where applicable

Pros

Senior support and regimented work regime

Cons

Copious meetings and some work hours for some days

Lots of CPD but limited progression opportunities

Good first job. Staff can be supportive. Students are generally well-behaved and fun to work with.Put on a timetable all day- every hour has to be accounted for.

Pros

The kids

Cons

Salary, limited autonomy, progression opportunities

Depressing place to work.

No consideration for staff. They don't care how stressed staff are, they just want the job done. Management care about how the school looks to outsiders more than its staff.

Pros

Cons

Unrealistic expectations. No support for staff or consideration for staff mental health

You can make progress quickly and it's nice being part of a large network but leadership are obsessed with Ofsted.

You can make progress quickly and it's nice being part of a large network but leadership are obsessed with Ofsted and as a result work/life balance for staff becomes very poor.

Pros

progress, salary, nice students

Cons

no work/life balance, management don't care about staff only Ofsted which leads to high turnover.

Corporate work culture / rigged assessments

Cronyism is rife at the top level. Lots of consultants continually recommending changes in work practice. Too much emphasis on manipulating of targets to create false impression of success. Students don't really learn and get pushed onto level 2 btec courses, which have no examinations and can easily be rigged. Witnessed teachers writing 5 different versions of answers to written assignments and getting groups of students to copy one of the versions to enter as coursework. Only a handful of the student's folders get sent in for checking by assessors and they make sure that the 'right' ones are chosen. Kids are getting passes and no real knowledge or understanding. This is happening across the core subjects. It gives the false impression of a successful school and further reinforces the success of the academy system. There is also a very handsome bonus system in place for senior management, who basically reward themselves for 'success' in this rigged system. This is the future of inner city education.

Pros

Cons

Underappreciated by federation bigwigs and senior management

productive and a fun but calm workplace

i was there for work experience and it was really good experience. the staff were nice. and the children were well behaved and always willing to learn. i think if you love teaching and children this is a great job for you. i worked with receptions so there was a lot of drawing and sticking things.

Very heavy work load but a great place to work

Very pressurised workplace, big workload and not a lot of support. However saying that I really liked working for Harris as they care about the children in their care without reservation

Pros

good lunch, nice offices and pleasant staff

misleading

This establishment is run as a business not as a school and in my experience the SLT have no interest in the students wellbeing whatsoever. it is all about the fancy new state of the art building which potential new students are overwhelmed with, in my experience it is the staff that work there that make it a good school.

Cons

undervalued

Harris Academy Peckham

I spent 5 truly wonderful years teaching at Harris Academy Peckham. I acquired lots of varied teaching expertise, and worked with amazing colleagues, so supportive professionally, & equally so personable. I loved the dynamic environment, and feel very blessed, I got to work for many outstanding leaders.I started as an NQT, & after achieving full QTS status, I secured an additional position as Academy Wide Most Able coordinator, which I fulfilled for two years. In addition to teaching French and Spanish, I llaunched & developed the German department. The Harris Federation offers opportunities galore for career & professional development, which all positively profoundly shaped me in my teaching, & love of the profession.

Pros

Lots of amazing training across different topics.

Cons

Lots of competing demands to juggle

Fair busy work environment

I worked at Harris for a couple of months the work environment was fairly busy with all students on task! I found that the role some what confusing as it was a dual rol support staff / technician. I believe that the roles that I was covering was fairly busy and adhoc.

Pros

Always busy

Cons

Required differentiation due to the task and outcomes

The right data & progress...by any means

If you are a career goal-oreinted experienced teacher, looking for fast-progression and a competitive salary, who is also used to the 'corporate academy chain' atmosphere - then Harris is for you. Do not expect a fair, friendly, welcoming and understanding vibe. DATA & RESULTS ARE A PRIORITY! Less about what you did on your PGCE, If you cannot deliver, expect to be manged out.

nice

good working place. stacking books and cleaning the place. hardest part was helping the children and making sure they were happy. flexible hours and good conditions

Pros

flexible

Do not advise

Not a great experience. Head chef was a bully. He clearly doesn't like women. Horrible man to work for. Would not advise working here. Go somewhere else

Pros

Hours

Cons

Head chef a bully

Good

I really enjoyed working at school but unfortunately I had to leave because my workmates did not collaborate much with the group service and that disappointed me. But I was always very dedicated and responsible the whole time I worked there.

competitive place to work

I worked in the art department as a technician and also a teaching assistant My role was to to support children within the art department and to help the less able .

Productive and fun workplace

I have learnt a lot during my work at Harris Academy. The environment was flexible to work and learn a lot. Opporunities were available but due to my studies I had to stop my work at Harris to be able to finish my BSC degree in Accounting with Finance.

Pros

Early working hours

Management could use some work!

Management within the school I'm in could definitely use some work! There is no care from heads about staffs welfare or how they are coping with things. Instead of being work/life balance, its a work/work balance. You'll find yourself doing a lot of cover and not really getting a chance to do the job role you're meant too. Pay isn't good for the amount of stress you are under and what they expect of you. Only positive fact is knowing you get 14 weeks a year off!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Federation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement