Harris Federation

Harris Federation Employee Reviews

I worked at Harris for a couple of months the work environment was fairly busy with all students on task! I found that the role some what confusing as it was a dual rol support staff / technician. I believe that the roles that I was covering was fairly busy and adhoc.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Required differentiation due to the task and outcomes
This establishment is run as a business not as a school and in my experience the SLT have no interest in the students wellbeing whatsoever. it is all about the fancy new state of the art building which potential new students are overwhelmed with, in my experience it is the staff that work there that make it a good school.
Cons
undervalued
I spent 5 truly wonderful years teaching at Harris Academy Peckham. I acquired lots of varied teaching expertise, and worked with amazing colleagues, so supportive professionally, & equally so personable. I loved the dynamic environment, and feel very blessed, I got to work for many outstanding leaders.I started as an NQT, & after achieving full QTS status, I secured an additional position as Academy Wide Most Able coordinator, which I fulfilled for two years. In addition to teaching French and Spanish, I llaunched & developed the German department. The Harris Federation offers opportunities galore for career & professional development, which all positively profoundly shaped me in my teaching, & love of the profession.
Pros
Lots of amazing training across different topics.
Cons
Lots of competing demands to juggle
If you are a career goal-oreinted experienced teacher, looking for fast-progression and a competitive salary, who is also used to the 'corporate academy chain' atmosphere - then Harris is for you. Do not expect a fair, friendly, welcoming and understanding vibe. DATA & RESULTS ARE A PRIORITY! Less about what you did on your PGCE, If you cannot deliver, expect to be manged out.
good working place. stacking books and cleaning the place. hardest part was helping the children and making sure they were happy. flexible hours and good conditions
Pros
flexible
Not a great experience. Head chef was a bully. He clearly doesn't like women. Horrible man to work for. Would not advise working here. Go somewhere else
Pros
Hours
Cons
Head chef a bully
I really enjoyed working at school but unfortunately I had to leave because my workmates did not collaborate much with the group service and that disappointed me. But I was always very dedicated and responsible the whole time I worked there.
I worked in the art department as a technician and also a teaching assistant My role was to to support children within the art department and to help the less able .
I have learnt a lot during my work at Harris Academy. The environment was flexible to work and learn a lot. Opporunities were available but due to my studies I had to stop my work at Harris to be able to finish my BSC degree in Accounting with Finance.
Pros
Early working hours
Management within the school I'm in could definitely use some work! There is no care from heads about staffs welfare or how they are coping with things. Instead of being work/life balance, its a work/work balance. You'll find yourself doing a lot of cover and not really getting a chance to do the job role you're meant too. Pay isn't good for the amount of stress you are under and what they expect of you. Only positive fact is knowing you get 14 weeks a year off!
Harris is so competitive with one another. Everything is so fast paced, It is hard to take a step back and breathe. DO NOT let the rat race absorb you
working for such a great company, the work life balance is great you may have a fairly early start but with the high level productivity during a days works
I absolutely enjoyed my time there, I loved working with all the staff and all the children, I also loved the fact that I have break at the end of the session.
A highly successful education Federation which has a strong leadership ethic. This feature is communicated strongly to students; these latter understand and respect, the net result being that the majority of Harris Academies in London are rated 'outstanding'. I enjoyed various facets of administration, most notably working with the Bursar.
A work/life balance is extremely difficult to achieve. Students are supported tremendously however teachers are easily burnt out with such a heavy workload and the general demands of the job.
Wonderful place to work. Fantastic company. Each federation has wonderful opportunities. Lots of days off with the school holidays. All staff are fantastic
structure and high turnover allows for rapid progression if you are willing to work for it management can be top heavy and large overlap between remits can lead to some confusion regarding accountability.
Only worked her for a very short period, but was always given help when needed and was always rewarded for showing initiative. Enjoyed my time here and would go back when possible.
Good infrastructure and sharing of best practice between academies but demanding management, underhand movement of students to enhance results and high levels of staff turnover.
I met a lot of good teachers who love children. I learnt a lot of new skills. I loved how they managed good and bad behavior in the classroom. They was a lot of focus on rewarding children.
Good for studying, they really push students to excel,
  1. Employee reviews