Harris + Hoole

Harris + Hoole Employee Reviews

With the right team, working at H+H is incredible. You flow like a well oiled machine and keep spirits up during rushes. Getting to know the regulars is a joy and so is perfecting different styles of latte art.
Working at Harris & Hoole has enlightened me to what a high Street coffee shop chain should be. The training is very comprehension. They want you to be the best barista that can be achieved. They will keep you engaged in coffee throughout your time. My manager is excellent. She takes into account my personal life well as well as making me feel very welcome to the team. Firm but fair as well and always has my back.
Pros
Free coffee, good progression, free lunches, perkbox benefits
Cons
Christmas can be very stressful
This was a fun place to work. Customers and fellow staff always great. There’s a lot of passion within the company, but as for management it is extremely poor. The Area Managers were biased and unprofessional and the Store Managers no better. If you fancy sleeping your way to the top you can.
I feel very valued in my job with great support from my line manager and a lot of room to let creativity flow! There is great career progression (a lot of the head office recruits are internal!), great (free) coffee and development within the coffee path as well as into management.
Pros
Career progression, job satisfaction, creativity, free coffee
Cons
none!
I found it more like a second home than work as I loved the team I worked with and had developed great relationships with the regular customers. It was one of the best places I've worked.
Pros
Perfect if you love coffee as you get free coffee on shift
Cons
Some customers are very rude and like to antagonise
Good staff friendly and managers are too. Good rate of pay. Can learn alot about making coffee and going far in the company. Enjoyed working here. And would recommend of you're wanting to get into hospitality business and love coffee
Pros
Free lunch pay
Cons
Hours
Incredibly pleasent work envrionment, you'll learn lots of transferable skills. You'll have ample of opportunity to progress within the company whilst receiving ongoing support from the team. Lots of benefits and events to involve yourself in but depedning on location, be prepared to work hard and efficently, you'll deal with lots of customers but you'll know how to make a fantastic coffee by the end. All in All very pleasent.
Pros
Free Drinks, Discounts and scope for development
it was okay, staff are lovely, can be difficult and sometimes a lack of support on the coffee machine which can make it very stressful at times. Good training.
Customer interaction is important in this job and the best part about the job - you get to know regular customers well. The satisfaction of making the perfect cup of coffee for your customers is great.
A lovely company to work for who truly believe in team work with a real customer focus and great product. The training is fantastic, with lots of support from head office.
The hardest part of the job would be the management. Mostly they sit on their buttocks watching you to make sure you are working. What a joke of a company to work for.
Over worked while managers sit on there A**!, Terrrible management, says there food is all fresh which it really isn't! and there pastries are frozen.. which is false advertisment when you state there fresh right?! Frowned apon if you take a day off, it's like i't's the end of the world and all your fault and the managers can't seem to find any cover. Massive staff turn over constantly.. Favouritism and bullying within the company. Also very pretentious company! I could literally go on and on..
I really loved the company and training in London is amazing but, I was promised that I would have my shift s worked around my children and never happened. I worked hard and never got anything from or for it I was new and filled in for people who wouldn’t have for me which is really disappointing. There is no flexibility for people who have a family’s or other work commitments.
Harris and Hoole are a good company to work for until you reach management level. The pay is atrocious and well below average wage when compared to other brands. The role is hands on and customer/ coffee focused. There is a lack of support from upper management: who are quite frankly disorganised. Every food/drink launch is delayed and no one ever has a clue what's happening. It's a great company for progression and everyone has the opportunity to grow- although there are never roles available and you could be expected to work at a higher level without pay.
Pros
Free coffee and Food, Growth opportunities, great coffee culture
Cons
Long hours, No support, Low pay, disorganised organisation, Poor management
Amazing company to work for!! Very good community atmosphere, feels like a family. Good progression throughout the company. Best place I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free lunches on shift. Free barista made drinks whenever you want one. Brilliant staff
Cons
Nice place to work and have a career. Helpful management Amazing coffee Friendly regulars Free food and drinks on shift New and clean environment Helpful team
Pros
free meal on shift
Cons
in tesco
They are great to work for but don't support workers with family that need fixed hours, it's good for a first job or if you have flexibility in your personal life.
Allow Growth within the work place. Some poor management. Great culture within the company. Great with charity. Great head office staff. Fun events yearly
A great company to work for with some great benefits to match! An amazing training programme and on going opportunities to grow yourself and gain promotion
Pros
Free coffee, shift meals, good pension scheme, bean box
Cons
Can be long hours
i have learned more about myself working at harris and hoole and found out that i am a much more relaxed person than most of my staff members. the management are great in the store i work in. hardest part of the job is the unsociable hours. typical day at work would involve serving customers, making coffee, restocking sandwiches, cakes, cleaning tables.
Pros
free shift meal, free coffee all day long.
Cons
unsociable hours
Used to be fun to work here but now the company only seems focused on squeezing every drop out of its employees before they drop. Clever manipulating of salaries to make sure there was barely even and increase after the minimum wage went up. Harder to achieve your bonus which was the nicest benefit of working here and a strong motivator to do well. Managers hardly care about staff and are spread so thin they often forget important information, like the hours you can't work, and will then kick up a fuss when you can't do the hours you already said you couldn't do. There used to be a strong emphasis on the coffee as the brand is "a better coffee" well that's a lie and the coffee will often be coming out tasting disgusting while the manager happily serves it to poor customers too starved of choice to go somewhere else. The only focus is how much money can we make. Coffee equipment is rotated around stores and often breaks, days will pass before it gets fixed or taken care of, probably because there's 1 person fixing everything for the whole company, expect the repairs to happen during the rush period too. If you're lucky, you'll find a colleague you can bond with to make the whole ordeal bearable. Plenty of double standards to go around.
Pros
limitted free drinks
Cons
bad managers, bad company direction, lack of identity
  1. Employee reviews