Harris + Hoole

Harris + Hoole Pay & benefits reviews

A great company to work for with some great benefits to match! An amazing training programme and on going opportunities to grow yourself and gain promotion
Pros
Free coffee, shift meals, good pension scheme, bean box
Cons
Can be long hours
Working at Harris & Hoole has enlightened me to what a high Street coffee shop chain should be. The training is very comprehension. They want you to be the best barista that can be achieved. They will keep you engaged in coffee throughout your time. My manager is excellent. She takes into account my personal life well as well as making me feel very welcome to the team. Firm but fair as well and always has my back.
Pros
Free coffee, good progression, free lunches, perkbox benefits
Cons
Christmas can be very stressful
Good staff friendly and managers are too. Good rate of pay. Can learn alot about making coffee and going far in the company. Enjoyed working here. And would recommend of you're wanting to get into hospitality business and love coffee
Pros
Free lunch pay
Cons
Hours
Incredibly pleasent work envrionment, you'll learn lots of transferable skills. You'll have ample of opportunity to progress within the company whilst receiving ongoing support from the team. Lots of benefits and events to involve yourself in but depedning on location, be prepared to work hard and efficently, you'll deal with lots of customers but you'll know how to make a fantastic coffee by the end. All in All very pleasent.
Pros
Free Drinks, Discounts and scope for development
Harris and Hoole are a good company to work for until you reach management level. The pay is atrocious and well below average wage when compared to other brands. The role is hands on and customer/ coffee focused. There is a lack of support from upper management: who are quite frankly disorganised. Every food/drink launch is delayed and no one ever has a clue what's happening. It's a great company for progression and everyone has the opportunity to grow- although there are never roles available and you could be expected to work at a higher level without pay.
Pros
Free coffee and Food, Growth opportunities, great coffee culture
Cons
Long hours, No support, Low pay, disorganised organisation, Poor management
Amazing company to work for!! Very good community atmosphere, feels like a family. Good progression throughout the company. Best place I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free lunches on shift. Free barista made drinks whenever you want one. Brilliant staff
Cons
In this job I was encouraged to be myself, wear my own clothes and they cared about my work/life balance. Moved up to "pilgrim" where my coffee skills and latte art grew. Loved the job, but I was employed on a part time contract and left because I needed full time hours.
Pros
Free coffee, free lunch, wear own clothes
Cons
Wanted full time hours
I cannot begin to describe the catastrophe of the company. Once a great company with a real feel and great people has turned into a self centred NERO rebrand. In the last year they’ve seen many long standing team members leave and now spiralling out of control. Currently out of 40 stores vaccancies through the roof. Higher up management of the company is flawed, essentially turning this into a newer “specialty” brand but really it’s a Caffè Nero store just named something different. Coffee is roasted in the NERO roastery. Benefits ? — none that they talk about or mention or they are beyond possible to achieve Food?, all batch made and frozen and a rip off. All food you can find in Caffè Nero at a cheaper price. Sandwiches are batch made by same supplier, off site. Nothing fresh in this place. Salary?, everyone is severely underpaid, severely. Paid per hour if Assistant Manager or below and monthly if manager. Some people barely afford rent. Community Outreach ? — once a core pillar of the company now non existent Coffee is overpriced and locations are questionable. You’ll see a price increase every 6 months in line with Nero. Progression? Forget it...there’s no such thing. Hours ? Don’t let them fool you with 32 hour contracts or 40 hour contracts, breaks are unpaid so you’ll end up working more. Or you’ll be working double days of full 12/13 hours. Management do not look after you either nor do they have the appreciation for you. This company simply uses you to get what they want which is more money out of customers, complain when you don’t - more...
Pros
There are none!
Cons
Management, Hours, Progression, Food, Ceo, Caffè Nero, Coffee.
Typical cafe work, but with a very solid social basis. The teams are all constructed so that everyone gets along well, and it's nice getting to know regulars too.
Pros
Good team members, Paid Lunch
Cons
I loved Harris and Hoole when I first started but as it went on I found that there was a lot of extra shifts needing to be covered and that my work-life balance was very low. Lots of early mornings and weekend work with long shifts. Loved working there otherwise, the people and attitude to work is incredible and the coffee is even better! A typical day at work would be that I would get into work, make sure the coffee tastes good, try and manage the fluctuation of customers. A bit of potwash, serving customers and making coffee. The hardest part of the job was the hours. When I first started as part time I didnt mind the hours though.
Pros
Great coffee and people
Cons
friendly and productive team mates overly critical costumers management was satisfactory unlimited free coffee for employee's and people they know
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
long hours - employee has to be flexible to work last minute shifts
Fun place to work. Great way to start and get experience and they have good career prospects. Slightly shying away from speciality coffee, and more into the food aspects of it,
Pros
Free tea and coffee.
Cons
Different rules and regulations..
fun place to work management could have been better but other team members were brilliant. hours were long but okay as long as u didn't have a morning shift or sunday shift took a while to travel there and that was bad over the Christmas period as well as when the buses were on strike.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad management and long hours
this company is a good place to work as a first job, I enjoyed my time there and would recommend the coffee to anyone. the staff are friendly and the customers are great
Pros
free coffee
Cons
not such a good rate of pay (but thats just me)
There is no such thing as a typical day at Harris+Hoole as it varies so much. It can be stressful but always rewarding when customers compliment the food and drink on offer. I work with an energetic and passionate group of colleagues who make things more fun.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Basic hourly wage