Harris + Hoole

Harris + Hoole Work-life balance reviews

I really loved the company and training in London is amazing but, I was promised that I would have my shift s worked around my children and never happened. I worked hard and never got anything from or for it I was new and filled in for people who wouldn’t have for me which is really disappointing. There is no flexibility for people who have a family’s or other work commitments.
Incredibly pleasent work envrionment, you'll learn lots of transferable skills. You'll have ample of opportunity to progress within the company whilst receiving ongoing support from the team. Lots of benefits and events to involve yourself in but depedning on location, be prepared to work hard and efficently, you'll deal with lots of customers but you'll know how to make a fantastic coffee by the end. All in All very pleasent.
Pros
Free Drinks, Discounts and scope for development
Harris and Hoole are a good company to work for until you reach management level. The pay is atrocious and well below average wage when compared to other brands. The role is hands on and customer/ coffee focused. There is a lack of support from upper management: who are quite frankly disorganised. Every food/drink launch is delayed and no one ever has a clue what's happening. It's a great company for progression and everyone has the opportunity to grow- although there are never roles available and you could be expected to work at a higher level without pay.
Pros
Free coffee and Food, Growth opportunities, great coffee culture
Cons
Long hours, No support, Low pay, disorganised organisation, Poor management
Amazing company to work for!! Very good community atmosphere, feels like a family. Good progression throughout the company. Best place I have ever worked for.
Pros
Free lunches on shift. Free barista made drinks whenever you want one. Brilliant staff
Cons
They are great to work for but don't support workers with family that need fixed hours, it's good for a first job or if you have flexibility in your personal life.
A great company to work for with some great benefits to match! An amazing training programme and on going opportunities to grow yourself and gain promotion
Pros
Free coffee, shift meals, good pension scheme, bean box
Cons
Can be long hours
Worked in retail and hospitality before but never felt looked after like I did here.Don't get me wrong, things went go and you can get a call first thing on your day off asking if you can come in to cover but that's the same anywhere else... the thing that's different is that I felt appreciated and was actually thanked for doing it rather than it seeming like an expectation. Pay is what you'd expect but the team vibe is great, like coming in to work with your mates and there's a real drive towards realising your potential... even if you didn't even know that potential existed! I've learned skills that enable me to be better outside of work as well as make a great cuppa coffee (with fancy latte art) and chat with any randomer off the street. Great place to work all-in-all with sociable hours (if you can stomach early mornings) that makes me feel at home and like I have a purpose.
Pros
Development, flexibility, team dynamics, great bonus scheme
Cons
Early mornings, can get called for cover, hospitality/retail pay
In this job I was encouraged to be myself, wear my own clothes and they cared about my work/life balance. Moved up to "pilgrim" where my coffee skills and latte art grew. Loved the job, but I was employed on a part time contract and left because I needed full time hours.
Pros
Free coffee, free lunch, wear own clothes
Cons
Wanted full time hours
Typical day starts getting coffee machine ready dailing in to get the right flavour of the coffee, preparing the food for the day getting it out displaying it. Talking to customer while givening them a great cup of coffee.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
good, hard work not for anyone who can't deal with mean customers. definitely teaches you how to hold your tongue and push through bad customer experiences. Great training facilities and good ways of making friends within the compay
Pros
lots of time to be creative and express yourself
Cons
bad managers in some places and no real way of getting in contact with HR
The best job i ever had. I'd give anything to go back and work for the company. I had to leave due to unfortunate circumstances but they're so friednly, extremely helpful. The job is hard work and fast paced but if you love that kind of thing it would be the best job for you. I worked there when it first opened and got to know the staff 1 month before because of training up in London. The yearly parties they do are brilliant, you get to meet every other hooligan in the company all over the UK. the best months of my life were working for Harris + Hoole. If there are any jobs avaliable apply for it, you will love it.
Pros
Free food and drink on your shift
Cons
very early starts
A company that is passionate about coffee. Amazing customer service that makes regulars feel at home and newcomers that want to stay forever. If your passionate about coffee then this one is for you.
I loved Harris and Hoole when I first started but as it went on I found that there was a lot of extra shifts needing to be covered and that my work-life balance was very low. Lots of early mornings and weekend work with long shifts. Loved working there otherwise, the people and attitude to work is incredible and the coffee is even better! A typical day at work would be that I would get into work, make sure the coffee tastes good, try and manage the fluctuation of customers. A bit of potwash, serving customers and making coffee. The hardest part of the job was the hours. When I first started as part time I didnt mind the hours though.
Pros
Great coffee and people
Cons
friendly and productive team mates overly critical costumers management was satisfactory unlimited free coffee for employee's and people they know
Pros
free lunches and coffee
Cons
long hours - employee has to be flexible to work last minute shifts
Overall it's a good job, I liked and enjoyed every minute I spent there. The fact of the night shifts stands on top, you can't avoid them. Sometimes this destroys your personal life completely, but for someone that doesn't have other choise, then yes. Reccomended. Staff is great, enviroment the same, clean, safe, busy.
Pros
free meal, discounted transportation
Cons
night shifts
fun place to work management could have been better but other team members were brilliant. hours were long but okay as long as u didn't have a morning shift or sunday shift took a while to travel there and that was bad over the Christmas period as well as when the buses were on strike.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
bad management and long hours
the day would depend on what time you start in the day. the most common time i would start work would be 9am-5pm. i would have to check the coffee all the time making sure the taste is up to standard and any food thats been left out for too long i would have to throw it away and make sure i keep a record of what iv done. I learnt to be able to work as a team and different types of coffee there are. i learnt in the training about how many different coffee beans they are and how many different ways you could have a cup of coffee. i learnt to create patterns on the top of the coffee by hand and only using warm milk to create the pattern. The management was fairly poor, wages werent being put into the workers accounts on time and the rota was always changing so it was hard to know when you was definitely working. co-workers were really friendly and always helpful. the hardest part of the job was cleaning the barista machine as it had to be spotless and took a long time to clean. the most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with different types of people and always wanted to make sure their visit was the best it could be.
Pros
Free Food and drink
Cons
The typical day is to open the post of daily basis and print the invoices from shared accounts payable email address. Stamp them and code them according to GL code. Match the invoice with purchase order and than post the invoice on to SAP accounting software. Once the invoice is mature depending on company credit terms. We pay the invoice to supplier. Management style is good. I have learned loads of different things specially SAP in this company. Co workers are very co operative. Hardest part of the job is very long hours. Most enjoyable part of the work was that we go out almost every alternative day with co workers and it was fun.
Make everyting ready for next day, deal with orders, take away deliveris, make needed bakary, after work, everyting clean , nice tudy up the kitchen help other staff then go home Every day learn something new about bakary, faster deal with orders, and many more. Hardest part is when realy busy and you just start shift and you need to preaper everyting in the list for tomorrow but i can manage that. Most enjoyable is when clean everyting and tudy up and everything looks like new go home hape for good work day. But want something new the money and the location off the work is not very good for me.
Pros
Free luches
Cons
Long houers