Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust

Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Too many managers and not enough staff at ground level. Bullying and harassment culture with limited support ended up resigning for health reasons. Glad to leave
Pros
Friendly staff at ground level
Cons
Bullying culture. Too many managers
Too many middle managers, if your face fits you will do ok you might even have a job curated for you. If not you will work hard for nothing, the only thing that keeps people there is the holiday allowance
Awful place to work. Senior management do not support staff even when they are aware that there isn’t enough to look after the basic needs of patients. Very stressful and demanding work with little benefits any more.
Pros
Nhs sick pay, pension
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, pressurised to work every day due to no staff available
They ask so much of you and what you do is never good enough. You have to sign for everything you do because apparently no one can be trusted to do anything. Ward managers and matrons have their favourite staff who can get away with anything there are clicks on every ward and if you are not in the click you get bullied or have staff whispering behind your back. You can tell your ward manager something privately that is to be kept to themselves and still somehow ends up as gossip. You will be set to do 3 nightshifts have a day off but in fact you sleep it and will be back the next day for a late shift or even a long day. You can do a 13 hour shift without a break because staffing is so bad and you are told to get on with it by the end of the shift you are burnt out and all you want to do is cry.
Pros
Helping the patients and getting thanks from them.
Cons
Bulling, management and shift pattern
It is a fantastic place to work with friendly staff and wonderful patients who make the job worth while. It is an amazing environment for everyone who steps foot there.
The trust has to many managers and not enough staff on the front line. This Trust is my worst experience in 42 years working in the NHS. Staff morale extremely low. Micro managed at all levels. Little regard for staff well being. Staff not informed of changes , until last minute. Thus causing stress as job security threatened. Short term funding. Lack of insight by top level managers. Noenough IT su
The worst experience of my working life. A culture of bullying and harassment. Clinical staff given admin posts when they are not IT literate and have no admin experience.
Pros
holiday allowance
Cons
culture of bullying
A typical day starts at 7.30am or 8 am and finishes at 3.30pm or 4pm. I sat in for handovers in the mornings and after ward rounds , we prioritise our workload and focus on discharges in order to free up the beds. Workplace culture is friendly and relaxed.. The hardest part of the job is not having sufficient staff on the wards due to shortages.
Pros
free christmas lunches and nhs discounts in shops
Cons
long hours and short breaks.
After working at Harrogate District Hospital for 15 years as a registered nurse I have recently seeked alternative employment else where. This is due to a change in management culture in the directorate I worked in. The management are overbearing, unsupportive and do little to encourage staff development through education or promotion opportunities. They fail to support flexible working and have a unreasonable attitude to set patterns of working and staff well-being
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no set patterns of working available
Good values good work ethic from dedicated staff working in 0-19 can be challenging but good support from management with day to day working, good home/work life balance
Pros
Agile working
Cons
Car parking
A typical day involves working within the multi-disciplinary team, discussing patient care and rehabilitating patients back to their homes. This job has taught me a great deal about the fundamentals of nursing principles and how supportive colleagues can be in everyday and stressful situations. This job has been a family support network, everyone who works there is always friendly and willing to help. The hardest part of this job is also the most enjoyable; seeing patients leave who are fit and well. This is due to the nature of the ward, allowing you to build a strong patient:nurse relationship.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible working available
Cons
More managers than ground floor staff, over worked with little rewards. The workplace is managed in chaos. However, it is a reliable job with a good pension. Very little room for progression.
Pros
Good pension, reliable salary
Cons
Chaotic, too many managers and not enough staff
I have worked for HDH since 2002. It has always been a great hospital to work for. After working for the trust as a CSW for 3 years the hospital sponsored me to train to be a registered nurse. I am now an experienced Sister at the trust and have never looked back.
Cons
Poor parking facilities
Loads of work to be done with high turnover of patients. You miss your break time as there is limited flexibility so this means you can work for 8hrs without taking a break
In a typical shift, I would arrive at the hospital and immediately sign myself in and get to the ward. I then meet the nursing staff and receive instructions from the nutritional assistant on the ward. I then proceed to assist patients choosing their meals on the cards and return to distribute the meals to the patients. Once all the patients have been given their meals, I then return to the nutritional assistant to be advised of the patients which require assistance with feeding and any dietary requirements that must adhered to. I firstly assist the patient who requires the most assistance and make sure that they eat as much as possible through positive encouragement, that they are not distressed and they feel comfortable enough to inform me if they have any preferences on the service of the food and communicate any distress.Once the patient has had a sufficient amount of food for their diet I then proceed to complete their patient food chart diary, enlisting the type and quantity of food and drink the patient consumed. From this, I learn a great deal about communication, empathy in particular with patients, but also team work through collaborating actions with the rest of the ward nursing team and listening skills from listening to and carrying out instructions from the nutritional assistant on the ward. Time management is another skill which comes hand in hand with the role as it is import to distribute time effective across the ward to ensure all patients are given the appropriate attention and support.The management of the ward is performed very effectively and always - more...
Pros
extremely rewarding
Cons
not all patients are as receptive to care than others and some can give verbal abuse