Harvey Nichols
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

Harvey Nichols Employee Reviews

United Kingdom191 reviews

harveyhnluxuryconcessionbrandprogressiondiscountstore

Good Company, Pay = Room for Improvement!

Amazing company to work for, you meet likeminded people and a great discount. The only issue for me was the pay wasn't great and a lot of hours spent standing around on your feet, especially when the store was quiet.

I worked in HN for over 9 years. HN provide high service standards, I learned a lots about wines, cocktails, how to make proper coffee…. Safe place to work

Pros

Staff food

Insights into Harvey Nichols

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Staff are friendly and management are understanding (especially middle management) Slightly unorganised but not more so than other retailers I’ve worked at

Don’t worry if you can’t do the job as long as your face fits and your willing to suck up and be called “hun” all day long.

They have fallen to far behind by relying on the brand name for to long. Other big stores are way ahead with brand stock, technology etc….,They employ people because they like them or have worked there before, not because they are good at there job role. HN staff never know what is going on and rely on getting information from concession staff and other stores. Some management have been there for 15yrs + which is usually a good sign, unless like here they are stuck in that time warp, get new management or make them move with the times. Probably the only store where a floor manager can never be found on the floor leaving middle management to do their work. They try and make you feel like they are doing you a favour by giving such a high discount but no one cares be they’re basic pay is below all other luxury retailers so they can’t afford it anyway. Targets are high and but If you have friends in there or are dishonest you can reach them otherwise forget it. Theft is high with staff but again when said to management they avoid , they avoid conflict because they all like to be liked and ones that are willing don’t get given authority to deal with issues. You get a uniform allowance but when you leave they make you pay it back! Working in an empty store just because another store is open is bad business and demoralising for floor staff especially when senior management just hide in the office.

Boring

retail esp luxury retail had been loosing its momentum just before i left. so the store wasreally really quite so it was very pushy. management was ok if they liked you if not no promotion. terrible pay

Pros

staff discount

Cons

boring

Stressful place to work

If you don't buy or wear designer clothing then you won't fit in,so very stressful working here, management unaproachable, avoid working here at all costs.

Pros

Cons

Long hours little money

Don’t even bother applying !

Don’t even bother applying, they just waste your time! You wait weeks for an interview then weeks for an actual shift! They don’t look after there staff it’s stressful

Pros

Cons

Stressful

Ambiente lavorativo variegato e inclusivo

Ottimo posto per cui lavorare. Il management mi ha sempre supportato con gli orari di lavoro e le pause, durante i miei studi al Wset.

Cons

Salario base basso per gli standard londinesi.

Boring and awful salary

Found my time at Harvey Nichols very boring and found everyone on the floor very cliquey. The pay is no where near enough and no commission either. Senior management is also terrrrrible. The sales floor manager did nothing but stare at his personal phone all day doing nothing.

Pros

Good discount

Cons

Terrible pay and cliquey. Way too boring.

Co-Workers made it better

Working here was really questionable. The staff in my department were so enjoyable to work with. However, it felt as if management looked down on you. Targets were unrealistic.

Pros

Sometimes a fun environment

Store manager a joke

Store manager is a joke, always covering things up and looking after other managers, treat new staff unfairly, you have to be in her circle to succeed

Poor working atmosphere

I worked in the call centre in Harvey Nichols for 6 months and found the staff in there be lovely however the vast majority of counter or brand staff were very two faced and competitive which didn't make for a good culture.

Nasty environment

Worked there for a bit and I've never been in such a horrible work environment in my life. From the sales assistants to the security staff to the cloakroom attendants, some of the people that work there are just downright rude. Their smiles and manners are only reserved for customers it seemed like. Really made me dread going into work.It feels like a high school honestly where unless you're friends or part of the clique, you can do one. Really need to sort this out, Harvey Nichols, because I know a few others who felt the same.

Pros

Free lunch. Had an amazing meal one time

Cons

Very toxic work environment

Fantastic place to work, was sad to leave.

What can I say, absolutely loved working here I have no complaints whatsoever I got on with everyone. If I had any personal issues or issues at work I could easily speak to my manager and we would always find a solution for me no questions asked. Was there for 8 years but when a good opportunity comes a long it was time to move on sadly. There's a fair few negatives about this place but I honestly couldn't find any. Great management and I couldn't of asked for a better bunch of people to work with.

Pros

Discount, good shifts

Cons

Working weekends

Supportive Management

I had a great experience working here as part of the display team. I was given training and was supported by my managers and colleagues. The only reason I had to leave was the cost of travelling into Edinburgh.

Pros

Great training and supportive colleagues

Cons

Travel time and experience

Worst Managment

Managers force people to wear makeup everyday which is un ethical, the staff are forced to discuss you with managers whilst you are still new and learning

Pros

Discount

Fun

I enjoy working at HarveyNichols as managers are very friendly and helpful. That’s why it’s really fun to work with them. Mainly beauty department. They are always positive.

Petty

it’s like being on high school with all the gossiping and back biting, the managers work along side duty managers who pick favourites and are more stuck up than anyone there which i guess is associated with higher priced clothing. the only nice part of working here was the staff who don’t work for harvey nichols. everyone else is too busy talking about who is saying who and people’s private life. rubbish pay no motivation to reach targets unfair expectations shocking interview process lack of HR judgemental staff nothing but drama and unattainable goals

Pros

1 hour lunches

Cons

everything else

Fantastic company to work for

I enjoyed my time working with the company and made lots of friends. Very friendly environment and I worked with some fantastic individuals during my time there.

Pros

Subsidised oyster travelcards for all staff

Cons

Wages not that great

Unfriendly workplace

Worked in the display team, the rest of the store behaved like you were a nuisance and just getting in their way when you were doing your job. Nobody engaged with you, just ignored you all the time. HR department are constantly trying to justify their jobs by making things difficult for staff and refusing to help with staff requests or waiting weeks to provide answers to questions. Since leaving HR have threatened to refuse references and sent multiple demanding emails. The place will make you feel worthless and overworked, staff are cliquy and do not like if you try to talk to them. Store manager is absolutely clueless and will make wildly inappropriate statements to staff.

Cons

HR department, cliquy staff, senior management

Great opportunity, poor senior management

I worked at HN for a number of years. The role provided me with the opportunity to use build my profile and use my previous experience. Senior management lacked direction and ability to manage. Very clicky working environment, borderline pretentious, not recommend for the faint hearted. Overall I enjoyed my time at HN but would continually find myself frustrated and or amazed at the lack of professionalism offered by others. It did however provide me with an opportunity to progress outside on HN, I enjoyed working with my team and have fond memories.

Pros

Good on cv

Cons

Poor senior management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey Nichols. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Harvey Nichols with

• Harvey Nichols
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?