Harvey Nichols

Harvey Nichols Employee Reviews

I worked at HN for a number of years. The role provided me with the opportunity to use build my profile and use my previous experience. Senior management lacked direction and ability to manage. Very clicky working environment, borderline pretentious, not recommend for the faint hearted. Overall I enjoyed my time at HN but would continually find myself frustrated and or amazed at the lack of professionalism offered by others. It did however provide me with an opportunity to progress outside on HN, I enjoyed working with my team and have fond memories.
Pros
Good on cv
Cons
Poor senior management
I enjoy working at HarveyNichols as managers are very friendly and helpful. That’s why it’s really fun to work with them. Mainly beauty department. They are always positive.
it’s like being on high school with all the gossiping and back biting, the managers work along side duty managers who pick favourites and are more stuck up than anyone there which i guess is associated with higher priced clothing. the only nice part of working here was the staff who don’t work for harvey nichols. everyone else is too busy talking about who is saying who and people’s private life. rubbish pay no motivation to reach targets unfair expectations shocking interview process lack of HR judgemental staff nothing but drama and unattainable goals
Pros
1 hour lunches
Cons
everything else
I enjoyed my time working with the company and made lots of friends. Very friendly environment and I worked with some fantastic individuals during my time there.
Pros
Subsidised oyster travelcards for all staff
Cons
Wages not that great
Worked in the display team, the rest of the store behaved like you were a nuisance and just getting in their way when you were doing your job. Nobody engaged with you, just ignored you all the time. HR department are constantly trying to justify their jobs by making things difficult for staff and refusing to help with staff requests or waiting weeks to provide answers to questions. Since leaving HR have threatened to refuse references and sent multiple demanding emails. The place will make you feel worthless and overworked, staff are cliquy and do not like if you try to talk to them. Store manager is absolutely clueless and will make wildly inappropriate statements to staff.
Cons
HR department, cliquy staff, senior management
Working for Harvey Nichols was a fantastic experience. There was always great support from head office, good perks, staff discount, nice staff areas and training to help people progress. I always felt privileged to be working in such a beautiful environment with amazing fashion and products.Overall there was a supportive network of people however 3 senior managers in the Birmingham store who are too clicky and get away with murder. The hr manager is lazy and unapproachable and the sales manager swans about on his phone doing nothing.They’ve been there a long time and the company would do well to have them replaced and get new people in. I see other people have mentioned this in their reviews too.
Pros
Work environment, job itself, training
Cons
birmingham store senior team
This organisation is great apart from the horrific Mid/Senior Finance Team it is run by a pack of extremely Rude, Snobbish and incredibly highly strung women. They will complain about you and copy in Directors into the E-mails and if they do something wrong and you challenge them they complain back at you. These women are so bad they even give the cleaners dirty looks in the evening and all the other departments have mentioned how they do not follow governance guidelines and help other departments out often leaving other departments to fend for themselves. All other departments are good I have heard bad things about the Marketing department but have never encountered anything negative from them. The Senior Management in this organisation are fantastic (except the old Finance Director). Harvey Nichols really does make the effort to ensure that its staff are happy their recent Diversity and Inclusion campaign is evidence of this. Unlike most organisations, their HR Department I would say is one of the best there are lots of kind and helpful people that work there. Harvey Nichols rewards its Staff well their benefits are great I would say quite confidently that working at the head office is not a typical "My Dad worked at Ford and I am going to work at Ford job" nor does working at Harvey Nichols feel like being stuck in a corporate prison cell. I lived quite far from Harvey Nichols and I honestly loved coming to work the commute was long but it was a good place. The Staff at the Knightsbridge store are awesome too they have a very strong Harvey Nichols Family vibe - more...
Pros
Staff Discounts, Free TFL Travel Card, Plus Bonus
Cons
Long Distance Travel, Really Bad Mid/Senior Finance Team
It's a quiet store but I still enjoyed working there, the money is rubbish and people often assume that because it's a luxury store that we are paid well, but you will struggle to make ends meet. You'll have multiple brands to look after for not much pay, yet you can work for a concession with only one brand and get 10K more a year, sounds silly but true, I know as it happened to me, I was on 12k there left for a concession for one brand and was earning 22K. Even though I didn't like the place I worked in the money kept me there but HN work pay their staff better.
Pros
People friendly, HN app
Cons
Money
Having only worked in the very busy call centre for a few months. I knew straight away this was not the job for me. On the job training was merely no existent. You shadow a colleague for about 3 days then you’re on your own. If you enjoy taking calls from usually pretentious customers whom demand the world then go for it.
Pros
Store discount
Cons
Lack of training. Poorly managed.
good experience that allows me to expand my skils for my future career interest. Working in a fast phased environment encouraged me to go outside of my comfort zone, it also made me want to learn more about the brands that the store represented
Pros
good hours
Cons
no free lunches
If you don’t look the fit then they will get rid of you! Horrible company to work for and horrible management avoid!!! They also bully their employees.
Pros
None discount is good
Cons
Managers are rude
I have worked a number of roles at Harvey Nichols. I used to work on Menswear which was a great floor to work for the managers care. Moving down to personal shopping to become the Assistant changed my life for the worst and I'm so glad to have left. Worst management and the worst worst ethic I could ever dream of and I have worked in some stressful jobs. They expect too much for what you're paid and they expect you to take on job roles which your not even contracted to.
Pros
Cons
horrid management long hours
Loved my time at HN , best place I’ve worked, lovely colleges and customers. I’ve also worked at different concession as an agency worker which was great for product knowledge.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Weekend work.
I did work with a stressfull and non confident Finance Manager, in the Chiswick office, which was micro-managing the team. Not confident for her managerial role, I did leave the role after falling out with her few times.
12 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We have noted your comments and appreciate you taking the time to let us know how you feel.
If you're different, they won't like it. The stock is expensive, so they have an intrusive security team who monitor staff, customers in person & via CCTV. They don't need evidence to fire you, just suspicions. They have a 2m x 2m cell in the basement for people they suspect to be criminal.
12 August 2020
Not nice specifically the beauty section is awful to work in, very unwelcome atmosphere, wouldnt reccomend to anyone to work here, the pay is also veryyy awful
12 August 2020
It was a 3 months contract sale assistant job role, and it was a special experience to work in one of the most luxurious shopping center in London. Working in HV was mostly relaxing and easy, the manager and staffs were all very friendly and nice.
12 August 2020
Thanks for taking the time to comment and glad you are enjoyed your time with us.
If you work hard you are rewarded, excellent prospects. Discount great and excellent discount for uniforms. Lots of charity involvement to get involved with.
12 August 2020
Let me save you... this place management is awful, they dont help staff at all and expect you to work like a dog and they just stand and talk about everyone, just an uncomfortable environment where staff walk and look at you like their shxt don’t stink. The place is dead all you see all the time is the same bixchy staff hardly see much customers(unless Christmas period maybe) They just hire and fire when they don’t need you no more. Place is ‘5star’ but really it’s full of lost souls lol. You will meet the odd nice staff but overall it’s so overwhelming and drama and gossip (including management... they’re like kids) and with all this and more the pays not worth it. Since I left felt so happy and would never return to that toxic environment
12 August 2020
i liked working at harvey Nicholas very much and was sad that i was made redundant i enjoyed m,y time there very much and would like the chance to put my skills and experience i got from there to use
12 August 2020
I was very happy to have been given the opportunity to work with HN. It gave me all the experience that I hoped for after having done my post graduate in fashion buying.
  1. Employee reviews