Hastings Direct

Hastings Direct Employee Reviews

United Kingdom305 reviews

Productive & Progression

Featured review

Hastings Direct selected this as a representative review
A typical day at work - This can vary within the role but there is definitely a lot of variety within my role to keep me busy and every day is different with the tasks to work.What you learned - Anything is possible when you put your mind to it.Management - I've had a few roles within Hastings and one key thing with management, is that they will help you succeed and progress if they can see you are putting the effort and time in.Workplace culture - The culture is great, there is a diverse culture at Hastings.The most enjoyable part of the job - The variety of work to do on my day to day basis and also the flexibility of WFH.

Pros

WFH and Flexibility of hours

Cons

None at the moment

19 April 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you’re enjoying your experience here.

Fun but be ready to work

I feel the company is very fast paced constantly changing over a small period of time with process etc. The great thing with Hastings Direct is that there are so many routes you can go down in terms of progression.The only thing I would say is that sometimes it does feel you are constantly on calls none stop. And it prevents you from having interaction with other colleagues. Especially can be frustrating if you have team meetings/huddles and can be pulled out last minute to carry on taking calls.

Pros

Different shift patterns No weekends (full time)

Cons

Long hours Not having set shifts Constantly taking calls

Insights into Hastings Direct

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energising work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Like being back at school. Treated like little Kids.

The job is easy enough to hit and exceed targets but it's the constant monitoring of what you are doing that is the killer here. 7 minutes a day for comfort breaks. Only 50 seconds allowed to take a breather between calls. If you're longer or if you go offline for a bit without even realising then the floor walkers are on you straight away asking what you are doing.It really is like being a naughty teenager in a classroom and it needs to stop because otherwise they will continue to have a high turnaround of staff.It's all fine whilst training as you don't have to comply to the time restrictions but as soon as you finish the training that is when you see the real job and how stressful it is to be watched constantly.Really think long and hard before working here

Pros

Free pool table.

Cons

Micro managed, no time to breathe.

fun

good place fun, fact paced.Equipment and computers somewhat oldOffice could have done with redecorating.Benefits, office, community, networks, resources

Interview process and onboarding

The whole process was simplified from the application stage through to the onboarding with Your Hub. The interviewers were friendly, they gave an enabling environment during the interview for you to express and showcase your skills and experience. This shows me how collaborative and supportive the management and colleagues would be.

Disgraceful disability attitude

As a current employee, their attitude to employees with disability's is disgraceful (my experience), having one myself, they've taken no reasonable adjustments in the workplace, despite several requests. It's all about the business, the Team Leaders all join hands, it's a 2 tier system.I am treated exactly the same as non-disabled employees, even though my disability affects every aspect of my daily life.

Pros

Reasonable pay and annual leave.

Cons

Negative attitude towards disabled people.

Good place to work only downside is that they don’t provide parking or reimbursement for parking. Job itself is not bad and can’t complain about the difficulty of the job.

good workplace to dip your toes

friendly people however its fast paced. work life balance isn't the greatest as hours rotate. its great for someone trying to get into the world of working,.

Pros

ice cream van

1 April 2022
Thank you for leaving your review. We wish you all the best for the future.

Stressful job

No support, training is very poor just chucked on the phone and expected to know what to do. Poor communication with management. Only good side was hour long lunch and option to buy extra holidays

Pros

Hour lunch

Cons

Lack of support

1 April 2022
We’re sorry to read the review of your time with us. If you’d like to expand on your comments to help improve things for others, please feel free to email professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID25).

Not so fun workplace:(

Been working here for over 2 years and it was great until company structure changed and there was a lot of pressure from above. Had to be on phone constantly call after call. Never had a chance to have a breather. Average wrap time between calls was 30 seconds and we went over that we had to give explanation like we done something wrong! This made anxious and it made the job very stressful. KPI were unrealistic. It was micro managed. Team leaders would hesitate to help us if we were stuck on a difficult call or if a customer wanted to talk to a manager. Every Sunday I would feel anxious thinking about going back to work on Monday. There wasn’t any offline activity to give us relief from the constant stress. I did suggest to management numerous times of having more offline activities but this totally ignored. Had to leave the job as the stress was affecting my mental wellbeing. Hastings claim to champion wellbeing of all their employees but I think they need to follow that with substance.

1 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience – it’s disappointing to read and we’ll make sure it’s passed on. You’re welcome to provide further context by emailing professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID24).

Demanding and unrealistic standards

Management are all friends and is like a high school with the cliques Unrealistic targetsNo communication between managers and head of departmentsManagers not listening to personal needs

Pros

Free coffee

Cons

Unrealistic expectations

1 April 2022
We’re sorry to hear that this was your experience – if you’d like to provide any further feedback which could improve things for other colleagues, please email professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID24).

Easy working hours

Enjoyed working here as it was a very casual environment. Most managers are helpful and other staff are friendly. Flexible hours, for example, you can talk half hour less lunch and finish the day half hour earlier.

1 April 2022
Thanks for leaving your review – it’s great to hear that you benefitted from some flexibility.

Good money but standard call centre environment

Good money but standard call centre environment.managers can be hit or miss . Some are very helpful. Working from home opportunities available during covid

Pros

Free lunches during covi

Cons

Managers are mediocre .

1 April 2022
Thank you for leaving a review of your time at Hastings – we wish you all the best for the future.

Very stressful

Not what the job role seems.It's all about numbers and sales. Its very micro managed. Have to be on calls continuously, can't put customers on hold or stats get ruined. Colleaque stats and report are very controlled, making it very stressful and robotic. Customers shouldn't call within 7 days otherwise stats get ruined. Sometimes customers call back because they need to.

Pros

Free hot drinks Free fruits

Cons

Unrealistic expectations All about number Micro management

1 April 2022
Thanks for sharing your review – colleague experience is very important to us so it’s disappointing that yours could’ve been better. If you’d like to expand on your feedback at all, please feel free to email professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID23).

Almost there... 9/10

A good solid job and for the person who will put the effort in there are definitely clear paths for progression. Can become tedious like many jobs but I belive the company appreciates this and dose do things to break up the day meetings/coaching/offline activitys. I honestly belive that if things run 100% how the company envisions it would be the ideal work place.KPI focused and can be challanging from time to time, good team environment and healthy competition.

Pros

Flexible working from home/office. A very good company approach to colleagues, clear progression paths.

Cons

Basic pay for entry level job

1 April 2022
Thank you for leaving an honest review of your experience working at Hastings.

Decent job, good hours - flexible to work from home;

nice bunch of staff to work with, supportive management.Practice's change often so it's difficult to keep up with - However, when free time is available you would be given time off the phone to catch up. Regular 1-2-1s

1 April 2022
Many thanks for leaving a review of your time with Hastings – we wish you all the best for the future.

Not a nice place to workStressful and unhelpful managers

Training was the best part and once you are on the floor… bye bye you are on your own… managers are lazy and not helpful don’t know why they were hired… they only after numbers & numbers… not a nice place to work

Pros

Free fruits

Cons

Long hours, No help, Angry customer, No time to even go toilet they let you have toilet time 7mins a day.

1 April 2022
We’re sorry to hear that this was your experience – if you’d like to provide more background to help improve things for others, please email professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID22).

Very good working conditions, senior staff, technical team even the CEO available at all times.

I worked at Hastings Direct for 2 years left due to personal reasons but they tried to find positions in London as that's where I came back to because they value their staff and helped to keep Me employed by them.Absolutely great company to work for.

Pros

Free fresh fruit in every office on every floor, plus free hot and cold drinks throughout the day, pension and encouragement if wanting to go further in your career.

Cons

No cons for Me. I'm saddened that I had to leave as was hoping to work until I retired with them..

11 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive review – sorry to hear to couldn’t find a role that worked for you in London but do keep an eye on www.hastingsdirectcareers.com in case there’s anything that fits for you in the future. All the best!

Team Working and Collaborate well together

Every one works together well and the joining process has been made seamless. Friendly, and have been very supportive throughout. Nothing is too much trouble.

Pros

Flexible Working

Cons

N/a

11 January 2022
This is really great to hear – we hope you continue to enjoy #lifeatHD! Thanks for leaving your review.

Aspiration of being UK's leading digital insurer feels like a fantasy

There are a lot of good people at the company who are trying their best to keep things running, but ultimately are always a step behind because everything at Hastings is done on the cheap.Staff are held to high standards (some of which are legal/regulatory standards), yet the tools they have to work with are not fit for purpose.The IT infrastructure is possibly the worst I have ever seen. IT systems are straight out the bargain bin or they look like they are from 80s.I'm afraid "agile, data and digitally focused" is wild delusion at this point. There are competitors who are so far ahead of Hastings in these regards.All that being said, Hastings is far from the worst place I have ever worked. Senior management sincerely try to promote a good work/life balance and always encourage employee feedback.There has also been a recent effort to invest in the IT infrastructure to deliver much needed improvements. Remains to be seen if this is too little too late...

Pros

Good progression and internal promotions, A lot of good people at the company, Decent pay (not great, but decent), Work from home, Not expected to work beyond your agreed hours

Cons

Bureaucracy & controls, Dismal IT infrastructure, Crushing workload

17 January 2022
Hello, thank you for sharing your thoughts and we’re sorry to hear you have these frustrations as a colleague. You’ll know that hearing and acting on colleague feedback is really important at Hastings, so while you may have taken the opportunity to feed this back in the recent Your Voice survey, it would be great get a bit more context to your comments. We can then share these with the relevant stakeholders in the company – so if you’d be willing to expand on your points, please email professionalhires@hastingsdirect.com (quoting ID21) and we’ll pass on the details. Thanks in advance.

Friendly and welcoming staff

Recently had an interview at Hastings for a home working position.Since applying for the job Hastings has been very efficient and supportive. Within a week I had an interview and was offered the job. The support staff have been so friendly and welcoming, making the experience very positive

Pros

Home working Friendly staff

Cons

Na

11 January 2022
Hello – it’s good to hear you’ve great start to your new role with us. Thanks for joining us – we hope you’ll be very happy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings Direct. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement