Hays Travel
Happiness score is 52 out of 100

Hays Travel Employee Reviews

United Kingdom136 reviews

Fun. Until you are made redundant, but they keep on the poor performing staff.

Poor performing staff were kept on, whilst myself and hundreds of others were sadly let go. It would have been better to keep the top performers on the pay roll, but management did not like this idea.

Pros

remote working, great pay

Cons

Toxic and unfortunately not what you expect!

I joined the apprenticeship programme just recently. It has been highly disappointing and over advertised. Its a lot of pressure and bullying when it comes to your colleagues, when you report the bullying to higher management they don't bother listening. The whole atmosphere felt toxic which they are when you do something incorrect or wrong like silly mistakes. Working as a team is impossible because you get given loads of work which isn't yours and have no clue what to do with no guidance, supposed to be "Learn on the job" but you won't get taught anything than a useless 6-8 week training. Your basically against each other and doesn't feel like a family, just another number trying to give them money. I would not recommend working here. Hugely disappointing :(

Pros

Holiday discounts

Cons

No commission, toxic and bullies

Insights into Hays Travel

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Energising work tasks

Cool place

Really great place to work would recommend it to others Good for call centres jobs nice breaks good pay and nice staff Get along well with colleagues

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Not all it’s cracked up to be

Promised support and a relaxed environment, far from it. Regional managers constantly putting stores down for not performing well enough during covid. Seems to only be store managers who get the benefits of educationals/resort visits. No praise for doing well but constantly nagged at during difficult times. If it wasn’t for the lovely work colleagues in my store I wouldn’t have lasted as long as I did.

They pretend they care but they DON’T!

Worked for this company for a while during covid time and was one of the first to get made redundant so they could ‘cut costs and save money’ because they weren’t making any money. I then applied to work there again and I got turned down several times. When I tried to find out why, they wouldn’t give me a proper answer, they just said they needed people ‘more experienced’! I already worked for the company and they want someone ‘more experienced’. I’ve been treated really badly by this company and many of my previous colleagues say the same. Avoid this company

Really high expectations

Its really fast paced and you’ve got to be great at multitasking, expectations in terms of sales and completing tasks is sometimes unrealistic and can feel like you’re being micro managed with every customer enquiry being expected to look the same in terms of communication etc. Definitely an underpaid profession for the amount of knowledge and work you put in.

Pros

Customers, discounts, great industry

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, micro management, low pay

Productive and enjoyable

I have been with Hays Travel as a Travel Consultant Apprentice for 8 months now and if you have a passion for travel, this will definitely be a good company to work for. My work environment is supportive and fun however be prepared for hard work and stressful moments- being a travel agent isn’t just sitting in a reclinable office chair all day and looking at holidays. There are some elements that ideally should be improved (ie: head office communication, travel agent systems used and pay) but overall I enjoy my job a lot and no day feels like a chore to wake up early to get there. Each day is different and you have no idea what is going to happen. That’s half of the fun. If you enjoy constantly learning, challenges but also a laugh or two along the way then definitely go for this. It’s hard work and of course each branch will vary drastically (every human is different after all) but in my experience I have enjoyed and I cannot see myself losing even a tiny bit of interest in what I do anytime soon

Pros

Friendliness (really does feel like a family company) Constant learning Engaging HTOL Incentives

Cons

Pay Outdated and unnecessarily complex systems

Poor Pay & Poor communication

Hays Travel pay minimum wage and expect staff to work outside of office hours. Hays Travel push you to book in house tour operator yet they are not competitive and the staff don’t want to help and are not trained correctly. You only get commission on a pre paid Mastercard for the in house tour operator bookings so if customers wish to book Tui, Jet2 or EasyJet, you don’t earn a penny. Communication is Poor, if you need advice you will get different answers depending on who you speak to. No one seems to know the companies policies or processes. Shops are in need refurb and are in poor conditions.

Great company to work for , great support team .

Enjoyed my time working for hays travel. Was a shame to leave but due to it being a temporary contract I knew it wouldn't be a permanent job role although there could be future opportunities .

Productive work

Working on the Covid-19 helpline was busy the team leaders were available all the time and very helpful.Great company to work for on the home working contracts. Training was thorough, all done virtual and support from team leaders/management was good.

Hays Travel

Worked at Hays for many years now. Not quite as fun as it used to be however still a good company to work for. Senior management are approachable, good communication.

Always under pressure to sell even during lockdown

Not a good company to work for, all about meeting sales targets and customer service is non existent. Senior management have no people skills and this has lead to many managers leaving the company.

Pros

Fair salary

Cons

Awful management all about profit and pressure sales

Great place to work, friendly and family ran

Love working for Hays, great employer ❤️Love the people I work with, friendly and supportive on all levels ❤️Development and career progression is fantastic ❤️

Pros

City centre location, modern offices, discounted parking, great company values

Don’t do it

Started working for hays travel early 2021 everything was great to start off with loved the training very helpful but after 6-8 weeks of training once your in branch your left to it. Although you aren’t classed as a number you may as well be all they care about is profit. After about 6 months I lost my passion for the job I tried to continue but unfortunately ended up leaving. Management are no help neither are the assessors like talking to a brick wall. The training after the 6-8 weeks goes down hill have 2 training days a month if that which are very informative.

You'll lose passion and happiness when working here!

I joined as an apprentice back in April 2021, I met a lot of exciting new friends who helped me throughout training and starting branch. I did begin to like my role as I did get along with my team in branch but now, its impossible. Seeing all the same four walls everyday, same colleagues and same customers, you lose that passion going into work seeing the same thing over, over and over again. Of course, the communication broke down between us all because of me to blame, not my fault I lost happiness in my role doing the same stuff everyday. I made mistakes as I was 'learning on the job.' They expect you to come into branch after six to eight weeks of training knowing everything from the systems, holidays etc. My colleagues are snakes and toxic! This whole apprenticeship is fake!

Pros

Holiday discounts and meeting new people

Cons

Management, training department and just another number.

Supportive management. Good trainingGood payIn depth training Was initially a 4 week role, which turned into over a year !Just wasn’t nice always thinking Is this going to be my last week etc.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Was a remote position

Foreign exchange consultant

I absolutely loved working at Hays Travel I was based in Ilkeston the management and team were amazing, I'd go back tomorrow... Was made redundant due to covid.The hays travel family look after the staff and even when my circumstances changed they adapted my working pattern to suit my family. Highly recommend anyone to join Hays.

Pros

Brilliant team, excellent atmosphere daily.

Cons

Covid struck.

I enjoy my job and working for Hays Travel.

I love working for Hays Travel. There is plenty of opportunity to progress which I have done, and the structure of the business is good. The training and benefits are good too.

Pros

Opportunity to progress Good incentives and bonus schemes

Cons

A lot of weekend work

Unhappy and boring!!!

I joined Hays Travel awhile back thinking this could be a great company to start of my travel industry journey, unfortunately I thought completely wrong. Each day it gets harder to understand why I keep turning up to work and get given nothing to do and exclude me from team activities. The colleagues in branch are always moody and don't respect me. The training team aren't useful and my assessor just impossible to call or email because I never get a proper response. Professionalism is thrown out the window completely and they talk badly about you and even customers when they've finished booking or looking to find a holiday. I made several mistakes when I started which cost me negatively in reviews and my colleagues not trusting me with handling customers or even my work. In honesty I think the apprenticeship programme is oversold and over advertised to sound like its fun but it really isn't fun, it makes you feel bored and unhappy. I can admit I have felt like I'am being bullied. Mental Health isn't taken seriously in the company. Anyone thinking of joining Hays Travel as a colleague or an apprentice, I would recommend finding somewhere else to work if your looking into working in a travel agency. At the end of the day, your nothing than just a number to them. :(

Pros

Cons

Literally everything

Perfect flexible working

Lucky enough to find the perfect role for me when I needed it most! Full paid training at home, flexible working from home, you agree to a minimum hours contract but there is always overtime available, regular monthly pay. However contracts can finish quickly leaving you with no work or hours can change which were not suitable for me.

Pros

Flexible hours to start with Ongoing training Online support as you need it Good rates of pay

Cons

No security in the position I held. Hour requirements change quickly and sometimes not suitable

Ok but could be better

Constant videos calls if you are not hitting targets and constant video calls if you are hitting target.The company are very into micromanagement, checking every little detail, which is done by the team in the branch as well as multiple head office teams.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hays Travel. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Compare Hays Travel with

• Hays Travel
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?