Hays

Hays Job security & advancement reviews

I always felt supported and got plenty of work from them, sometimes too much! On the whole, they were a great stop- gap for me while I searched for a permanent position. My team leader was lovely & approachable. Hard work but rewarding.
Pros
Good company, lots of work.
Cons
Too much travelling.
I absolutely loved working with Hays. The Truro team were wonderful people, hard working and tenacious. The company provided huge amounts of training, and unlimited opportunities to move up, earn more and even travel the world.
Pros
Unlimited Career Opportunities
Cons
Lits of outbound calling which wasnt always appropriate for rural areas like Cornwall.
Hays will treat you like a number not a person, you are replaceable and treated as such, lots of bullying and gossiping happens a lot of internal politics and keeping multiple managers happy.You will be pushed on to whatever desk suits their needs even if it causes you to drop your monthly income from the desk you've been doing.Don't expect any recognition or praise when you're performing, but do expect micro management and to be spoken to like your dirt when you under perform by even the smallest margin.Also expect to be made guilty for not working through your lunch break or at least if you take the whole hour.
Pros
Good training, Good experience to set you up for future roles.
Cons
Quite long hours, pay is low compared to most other agencies, all admin tasks expected to be done by consultants. work culture not the best.
Absolutely horrible behavior. Worst agency what I ever seen (and this is really a win compared to other British agencies). They have no effort at all to look a job for you, nor will they try. I didn't get a single job offer from them after two months. This agency is completely useless, don't waste time with them at all.
Pros
Was a long time since I worked here, but I doubt it has changed. Good things are they will invest in your training and give you every opportunity to succeed and it is a true meritocracy so you can get promoted quickly if you work hard and achieve results. Recruitment consultants spend a lot of time on the telephone cold-calling, so have a thick skin. Hays is a big brand so you have that backing, but it is a ruthless culture, backstabbing, shallow and unpleasant. And if you don't produce results, you'll be out the door pretty quickly. Also, I felt I had to act unethically to push candidates into unsuitable jobs to meet sales targets. If you are very ambitious, ruthless, completely money orientated with little empathy or ethics, you will do well here. I progressed to manager level, so I was good, but in the end my conscience got the better of me. Lastly, when you leave, don't think they'll thank you for years of service, you're marched out of the door, ex-colleagues are banned from speaking to you, bad mouthed, then you have to fight to get your commission paid (paid in arrears).
Pros
Big company benefits, rapid career progression.
Cons
Unrewarding work, culture, the nastiest people go far at Hays.
Hays when i 1st started were great, once on placement the manger didnt have a clue, Gave all the overtime to the people they liked the best. No loyailty to good staff seemed to favour the know ut alls
Pros
Helping the inmates
Cons
Be careful when planning your work calender through Hays. I work LTD company and have to plan my income carefully. I've worked several roles via hays that have went well but I've also equally had several contracts offered a month in advance and subsequently cancelled with 1 working day notice, leaving me no time to arrange alternate income. When explaining this to Hays, I was met with no empathy in their response. Hays weren't really too fussed when I raised just how much of an inconvenience rhus was and how it impacts my income and planning. Just a 'that's how it works' response - it's not how things work but obviously hays don't care if they end up with desperate and low skilled 'engineers' - companies like this will gradually end up with the chaff of the workforce and all competent engineers will find work with reliable and reputable agencies. I won't be working via hays again - they obviously only care about the commission and not the welfare of their engineers. I should have gathered this when I saw engineers turning up in tracksuits for IT roles LOL If your desperate, then maybe work for Hays. But beware, you'll end up with all the other desperate engineers and have absolutely zero contract security.
Pros
Difficult to find any
Cons
Cancellation culture, inexperienced engineers in unprofessional attire, poor pay
Never had an issue with hays, always had work and they have always placed me in a pleasant working environment. They have always Listened to me and placed me in the correct class/school so my placements are mostly long term.
Pros
Great supoort
I have been trying to get a job with hays now for four months they do not seem to have the time to help you I have been in touch with the Birmingham office and Coventry office no one calls you back plus no answers the phone very difficult in getting employment with them
Cons
Can't get intouch with anyone
This company gives you great experience to work in many types of care settings and for you to learn and gain more experience team work is very inportant
Pros
Loyal
Cons
Norging
If this is your first look into recruitment then you gain a good grounding, but as an experienced recruiter, it was challenging to have to go back to the beginning to learn their ways.
Having worked for them for years, in the last 11 months I have have no work and no useful contact. Sophie the agent at Wolverhampton is either "in a meeting" or "with a client" and does not return calls. I had outstanding feedback from clients and have been a real "go to Temp." All I have been getting is pointless calls asking me for an update of my situation but no offers. Every time it is" I'm not gonna lie, it's been quiet just lately." What for 11 months? Fortunately, I have been successful in finding other work myself or with another agency. Do not waste your time with these people. If they treat an excellent and long-term Temp like this, it's an easy call to guess what anyone else can expect. I have binned them.
Pros
All the good stuff is in the past
Cons
No effort made and only call to update records.
Hays is a brilliant opportunity for someone who is at the beginning of their career. The salary is not great and the working hours are long, and high levels of autonomy are expected with each person however this is a great starting step for graduates or placement students to gain organisation and independent working skills
A supportive environment to work and was able to develop personally and to engage with other professionals. Good renumeration and recognition. I would recommend it to others
Hays a good at finding work to suit your qualifications and needs. Staff are always polite and professional. They do not try and force you to go anywhere you don’t want to go to. Very happy with Hays
I had never worked in primary setting before and school provided no training at all on how to deliver lessons for me or other temporary staff members. Consultants promised they would communicate with business administration at school to express my needs, for months nothing changed. Consultants changed in my case all the time and it was hard calling round to find who my new consultant was. Didn’t sit well with me at all. If timesheet error happens with Payroll could take some time to have this sorted, departments are not directly connected. If your looking for mentoring or career coaching, advice and guidance about next steps when contract ends best chances are look else where.
Pros
Ok if you want temporary work. Can help to develop time management skills, setting learning goals with children, and creating schedule for work
Cons
Can’t fully meet your living costs if you live in London, Scope for progress beyond current job position is very low, Hiring company has real obligations towards you for providing training or mentoring, Don’t expect qualified staff to be supportive to your career needs.
They offer detailed training and encourage to work together. The people are all lively and happy to work with each other and the systems are brilliant to use. Have only a great experience of working for this place.
Overall experience working with Hays was excellent and would highly recommend Hays to friend and colleagues who actively wanting help looking for that new exciting new project/ position
Never a problem with them. Always paid on time. Hours are accurate. Easy to get hold of your contact. Will do their best to find you continuous work. Will use again
Pros
Punctual
Cons
Horrible agency to work for!! Very tight deadlines for wage slips, so the place you work for is responsible for submitting your timesheet and if they accepted it late (which is out of your control) you were paid late. You accrue you’re own holiday pay, for example a £1 taken from you for every hour you work. Then at Christmas is all your holidays aren’t used you lose them. Even though it’s your own money!!! And I was this around November time and was expected to try squeeze my holidays in December (which for any workplace is impossible) to top it all off I was being underpaid £2 an hour for over a year (which you can imagine mounted up to a lot of money) then I had to fight for months to be paid it back. Credit to one of the directors however for personally calling me and apologising. Don’t feel like you get a lot of help the phone, you end up chasing things up yourself. Then when I left I gave two weeks notice and called after I had left to claim holiday pay back and they didn’t even know I had left.
.Hays is a good company if you are looking for a tide you over role. The pay is weekly and I have had better support with Hays than with other agencies. I would probably work through them again.
  1. Job Security & Advancement