Headmasters

Headmasters Employee Reviews

United Kingdom183 reviews

salonhairhairdressingstylisthairdresserapprenticelovelyacademy

Crippled my mental health

When I first joined headmasters it was so much fun, the management team I had I could not fault. However when they left; as they no longer wanted the stress for minimal pay I guess. We had assistants and apprentices, assistants got paid more than apprentices as they wasn’t getting the benefit of training they were just Saturday girls, they were put through as apprentices so the whole time they were being underpaid. I brung it up with management in head office and nothing was rectified.I was left to basically run the salon with only one stylist fully supporting me and trying to help. I was doing crazy hours as the salon needed to be opened and closed and most of the stylist didn’t want to help. Twice they promised me that I was being put forward for management but nothing ever came to fruition but instead employed someone else that had the same experience as me elsewhere to go forward for the management course as you can imagine I was quite hurt. THEN to top that off because they had got someone else to take over management as I’d told them I had had enough and needed support they broke the news to me that they no longer had any hours for me. I was heartbroken I’d worked so hard over two years to then be pushed aside, they offered me a potential job at the head office. I luckily got the position but explained I care for my dying nan on Mondays so I couldn’t work them.. they put me down to work Mondays. Luckily lockdown hit and I was able to care for her til the end with no obstruction from Headmasters. Once I returned back the job at head office was awful I was practically -

Pros

Get your hair done for free

Cons

There’s a very long list

long hours and no learning

You work 8:45 to 6 or 12:45 to 9 and it is no stop work all the time for little pay and you honestly don’t feel appreciated and it is so stressful and you honestly feel like you don’t matter and you hardly don’t learn anything tbh

Insights into Headmasters

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Overworked

I have worked for this company a long time but has slowly gone down hill the last few years. Loyalties have completely gone and you are made to feel easily replaced.

Supportive Workplace

Supportive workplace, friendly team members and decent pay. Overall vibe is good, but clients can very difficult and disrespectful and can return back to the salon as they do not want to lose clientele.

Pros

Lunch Breaks, Decent Pay, Flexible

Stressful, Unappreciated,

Felt more like a cleaner as time went on. I had to clean up staff lunches eventhough they're capable of doing it themselves and it was not on my description. Some staff had no respect, empathy or manners. I felt like I wasn't treated fairly or as an equal. I was often told that I am a child when I overheard staff conversations. Left after almost 6months because I didn't feel valued. At first I enjoyed going to work but after a while I stopped looking forward to it and hated the idea of it. After it was clear I was struggling some staff just made my job even harder because "I had it easy" and I did not feel heard. I was also told that all i do is "Sit on my ... all day" after doing the job of 2 apprentices at times. As someone who as mental health issues such as anxiety and depression working for Headmasters after a while just made it worse.

Pros

Discounts/Free product

Cons

Late evenings, Lack of respect

9 November 2022
Dear former employee, thanks for sharing your feedback. We’re sorry your experience didn’t match your expectations.Please feel free to reach out to our customer care team with any further comments, concerns, or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to try make things right if you give us another chance.

Una compagnia con la quale ho avuto una brutta esperienza

La mia esperienza con questa compagnia e stata basata in bugie. Una cosa che ho capito dopo pochi mesi che lavoravo in sala e che più lavoravo e meno guadagnavo, ed in oltre forzato a fare cose che non volevo fare come tagli dei bambini.

9 November 2022

Great company to work for and fantastic work atmosphere

I started straight from school and loved working for headmasters for many years, only due to relocation did I leave. I’m waiting for them to venture into the midlands.

10 October 2022
Thank you for your review, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed working for us so much!

Great team

I worked in a great and fun team just felt like I was work a million jobs for less money also give out too many discounts great location maybe too many salons open for clients to choose from

Pros

Fun team and company party

Cons

Long hours low wages

10 October 2022
Thank you so much for your review, we are so happy to hear that you worked with a great team!

Unfair treatment

Not a company to work for you will be given no breaks and there is no real support in place they pick and choose who they wish to help and don’t help

Pros

Cons

No lunch breaks, bullying tactics

9 November 2022
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear you had a frustrating experience, but I really appreciate you bringing this issue to my attention. We’re sorry you had a bad experience. We’ll strive to do better.Please feel free to reach out to our customer care team with any further comments, concerns, or suggestions you wish to share. We would love to make things right if you give us another chance.

Don't waste your time

I can say that management is at a very low level, there is no teamwork at all, my manager is about 23 years old, she has no knowledge of hairdressing.

Pros

Free coffee and tap water 😉

Cons

not paid when off sick, the time for the procedures they put in does not correspond to reality

9 November 2022

Fun place to work if you get along with people as you’re always around colleagues. Difficult clients.

Great place to work if you’re young , fit & don’t have a massive social life. You’ll be expected to work late shifts 12-9 but will end up leaving around 9.30 ish so hard working here with children. Pays ok and you’re recognised for hard working & easy to be promoted. However, I do think the commission % could be better. The cost of a service compared to how much goes into your pocket is annoying. Fun Christmas, summer parties. Always got along with the staff, even when working in different salons.

Pros

Fun staff, Christmas parties, cash in hand tips.

Cons

Long anti social hours & small commission for your work.

9 November 2022
Thank you so much for your review, we are so happy to hear that you had fun at our awards/parties. We love that you get on so well with our staff.

Stressful and not worth the pitifully bad pay, I don’t know where to begin.

Stressful and completely not worth the awful pay. Management talk about everyone behind their backs (staff and clients) and are incredibly two faced creating a toxic work environment. Everyone in there seemed lovely on my interview date, but as I started to work there I hardly got spoken to which was extremely hard going . I was completely exhausted and depressed, £34 a day isn’t worth getting spoken to like you’re inferior to stylists and being spoken about behind your back. The amount of work I put in wasn’t even acknowledged by other staff. I would not recommend working here.

Pros

•Free hair appointments after probation •Awards party

Cons

•Terrible pay for the hours you work, apprenticeship or not. •Management pick and choose the rules depending on the person

Ok

A great place to learn and gain experience. Very fast paced.Courses which help keep skills upto date and on trend.Salary daily rate plus commission based on up selling services / products. Monthly personal meetings to go over targets etcEnjoyable / high pressure during busy timesLong hoursLow payExpectations highNot for everyone.

Pros

Staff discount, courses, on going education.

Cons

Long hours, evenings and weekends.

9 November 2022
Thank you so much for your review, we are so happy to hear that you have gained lots of experience with us. We are really big on our edcuation here at Headmasters and we are so pleased to hear that you are using this to your advantage.

I don’t even know where to begin

Let’s just say its not worth the stress for such little pay• You’ll be depressed, tired and over worked • Customer is always right mentality • Management pick and choose depending on individual what is and isn’t okay • Booking centre are always telling clients they can have services and discounts when most of them are not stylist and haven’t seen the clients to judge what service they need. They also don’t book in sufficient times for you to complete service correctly and never book in toners or BREAKS!

Pros

Awards party

Cons

8-9 weeks notice to book off holiday, back to back clients (sometimes no breaks), very little service times

10 October 2022
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear you enjoy our annual awards!Please do not hesitate to contact our HR department if you would like to go over any other matters mentioned. We do value our customers and staff.

Excellent company, dedicated to their teams and training their people.

I've been working as a stylist at Headmasters in Weybridge for 5 1/2 years now. I have never regretted the day that I called the recruitment line!Headmasters have given me the opportunity to grow from strength to strength with their continuous support, encouragement and training. I love working as a team and being part of the whole Headmasters group!Thanks Guys x

Pros

Support & Training opportunities

10 October 2022
Thank you so much for your positive comments, we are very lucky to have you as part of our team!

Stressful, Awful Company

Headmasters has ridiculous service timings. They try to rush your services to get more clients through the door. The cost of services is not really cheap which does not feel right when you are rushing to get the clients hair service done quickly. I am sure they do not feel that they are getting 100% attention of the stylist.The company needs to re-evaluate their service times to make them more realistic. The timings do not even meet HABIA standards! I know soo many people who are not happy working at this company and have either left or planning to leave.They definitely need to be more nurturing to staff and work on their emotional intelligence. I had to take Diazepam before I went to work as I dreaded going.The team I worked with were lovely and the managers were too, it’s unfortunate that they have to work under the conditions and regulations that the company sets out.Overall, I would say stay clear of working for Headmasters!

10 October 2022
Thank you for your comments. We are so happy to hear that you worked with a lovely team!If you would like to hear from our HR department regarding any of the other matters mentioned please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Fun, good team

Amazing team, fun environment. Fast paced with lots of chances to build clientele. Lots of training opportunities with chance to go on courses.

Pros

Fun workplace

1 April 2021
Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback! We are so lucky to have you as part of our team, your feedback means the world to us.See you again soon when those salon doors reopen!

Inclusive workplace within a positive and inspiring environment.

I haven’t been with this company for long, but it seems to be a good company to work for. The salons are nice and well equipped, the creative direction is great and I enjoy being part of the FB group, which helps me feel I’m a valid part of the company. However, central booking system is challenging and the actual computers are not user friendly at all, in fact I would go so far to say they are TERRIBLE, even when you know how to use them. Also disappointed about the lack of financial support, considering I wasn’t furloughed. However I do appreciate we’re in the middle of a Pandemic and these are extraordinary times. The overall pay is pretty standard for the industry and this is something that needs to change, especially according to experience.

Pros

Career advancement and clear targets, family feel to the company, good working environment.

Cons

Inflexible hours, average pay and awful computer system.

31 March 2021
Thank you for your feedback, it really is so important to us.I have passed your constructive comments across to our Senior Management team to look into, we are deeply that the system in place is impacting the enjoyment of your role, our IT team will look into this right away. Thank you for being so loyal to Headmasters, it means a lot to us.

Recruiter

Such a good place to work, got a real family feel about the company that makes it feel like you belong and can be supported. They have really helped me with my career and progression and really supportive with my choices. Pay could do with some increases but to be honest, you get what you put in. Was one of the best places I have worked and miss it.

Pros

Lunch Club, Get your hair done for free, management

Cons

pay

31 March 2021
Thank you so much for your comments, it's great to hear that you enjoyed working for us.

lively work place

as receptionist can be kind of lonely at the front if its a quiet day but usually very sociable. nice atmosphere and made friends for life with many of the other colleges

Pros

headmasters awards party

Cons

long hours with short breaks

10 March 2021
Thank you so much for your feedback about Headmasters Walton! It's fantastic to hear about your experience with us and that you enjoyed the amazing social opportunities available.

Senior stylist

If your a senior stylist be careful they can only bring you in as a lower level hindered me massively and went back about 4 steps in progression :( but new stylist this is great opportunity to begin your journey

Pros

Part time available

Cons

Too many Discounts offered

10 March 2021
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your employment at Headmasters Mayfair.It's great to hear about the opportunities Headmasters has offered you. Your feedback is so important to us, we will feed your comments back to the Mayfair team. Kind Regards,Headmasters Recruitment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Headmasters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement