Health and Safety Executive

Health and Safety Executive Employee Reviews

Once proud and caring employer, now subject to market forces. Working conditions deteriorating, and moral decreasing largely due to top heavy management structure, leading to lack of professional response to core function.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
management
Poor management throughout HSE. Lack of support when new to the role. Close ranks when issues reported. The job itself is difficult but interesting. Made some good colleagues
Pros
Decent wage. Exciting job.
Cons
Lack of management support
there is no progression/promotion from one band to the next, to progress one has to apply to any suitable vacancies that are published. Your previous performance is not used as a measure during the recruitment process.... Also there is no incremental pay rises within the various bands... performance us not rewarded.
Pros
relaxed no pressure work/life balance
Cons
poor pay, no promotion options
There is no typical day at work in my role as a Specialist Occupational Health Inspector. It is both varied and diverse and includes attending Court to provide Expert Opinion on criminal cases involving occupational ill health. I am often called on to provide specialist support to my general Inspector colleagues on occupational ill-health issues across a wide range of industries. There is a culture of mutual support between colleagues and a willingness to share information when called upon to do so. My role is very rewarding and diverse, with no two days the same. For instance, I am also responsible for my own investigations, one of which led to a successful prosecution against a company that failed to control exposure to vibrating equipment, thereby exposing its employees to ill health. This has been the most challenging part of my role to date. As a nurse, it is also very rewarding to work with employers and their employees in order to mitigate the risk of developing an occupational related disease by ensuring that the right control measures are in place. The nature of my role also requires me to complete the Regulatory Training Programme. This programme is underwritten by NEBOSH and required me to successfully complete the course. It included a year long theory and practical training and I am very proud of the fact that I achieved an excellent grade in the Legal Examination component of the course.
Lovely place to work, nice colleagues, flexible hours, relaxed atmosphere, pension and sick pay. Interesting work.. They really do look after you and have your best interests at heart. Lots of in house training courses. I worked there as an Administrator for fifteen years. I left 2015. Regret it to this day.
Incredibly supportive managers with a real focus on staff development Performance related awards 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 days after 5 years of service; plus 8 bank holidays and a privilege day. Flexible working – great work/life balance Highly competitive pension (21% employer contribution) Cycle to work scheme Childcare vouchers And a range of other employee benefits The opportunity to meet and work with professionals from a wide range of professions including, engineers, doctors, nurses, microbiologists, economists and lawyers, to name but a few
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Career progression can be limited in some areas
Good place to work! Offer great training and good opportunities.
Pros
salary
Cons
management
Review previous inspection ratings or receive an accident/incident notification. Inspect or investigate workplaces.Health and safety legislation.Professional and dedicated.Dealing with injuries and fatalities.Making a work place safer and prosecuting those who did not care about the workforce.
Pros
great induction and refresher training.
Cons
attitudes of some customers.
Accessing the RIDDOR data base to select and process the incidents which met our criteria, sorting and distributing the mail, collating information from our database to gather visits for the Inspectors, dealing with complaints from Duty Holders and Members of the Public, dealing with Gas Incidents and complaints.All general office duties, filing, faxing, photocopying, data inputting, Assisting my colleagues whenever they needed help. Having a varied and busy work load.