Helen And Douglas House

Helen And Douglas House Employee Reviews

Busy role for good cause. Enjoyable atmosphere. Working in retail with general public. Work as part of a team receiving and supporting donations to raise money for terminally ill children
During my time at Helen and Douglas house I was treated well by management and staff. At times it was an emotionally challenging environment but the support staff received was amazing! It’s a great charity that offers essential care for the families that access it. Would highly recommend.
Most customers understand that by purchasing items in store they are contributing towards helping the charity continue providing specialist help to children and their families going through the worst thing that can happen to a family, losing a child. We try and make as much money as possible from the donations received if they are designer or antique and appreciate the continued support from regular donors. We put out a lot of new items every day and enjoy seeing regular customers. It's great getting compliments about how nice the shop looks as it takes a lot of effort and time. It's a shame when people just come in to steal or cause a fuss about not wanting to pay a bit more for higher quality items. thedonorofth
i would take clothes and clean and check them for any marks or anything. i learned how to steam and also how to use a till. i learned how to communicate as a team member.
Pros
discounted clothes
Cons
no pay as volunteer
It is great every time I come into the shop and volunteer. I really enjoy to see and also hear from people how the customers have talked to members of the team about how good the service is. Another great customer service point is that everyone says thank you and the shop seems to have a great vibe with the customers as well.
Pros
Working Hours Needed
Cons
Sometimes finding things difficult and not having them explained
Good management Nice staff Excellent place to do voluntary work/ casual work Flexible with their hours Work quite repetitive Good if looking for experience in retail environment
It was a good and interesting place to work. You get to meet plenty of different people who volunteer and also other employees at meetings. The pay rate is very good and the balance between work and lifestyle is very good.
Pros
Help is provided if needed and same with training.
Cons
The shop I worked in used to get very busy with donations so you couldn’t have a proper lunch break
When volunteering for this company I usually would work for 2 hours a day where I would price and tag donated clothes, which are then carried downstairs. I learned about how important pricing clothes can be and how to improve my communication skills when working within a new environment. Management was very friendly and helpful when showing me how to handle equipment and price clothing. The hardest part of the job was adapting to a new environment however, it wasn't long until I became much more comfortable. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with all age groups, from individuals who were the same age as me, to elderly individuals.
I left the job due to not being treated well due to asking for time off due to anxiety. I left a year ago and saw my previous manager in the pub. He then spoke openly about my anxiety in the pub to his friend, mocking me, and in the knowledge that I could see him. Bordering on harrasment. Although I believe that the charity does a very helpful thing I would not suggest working here to anyone with a mental health difficulty as they clearly do not have a good understanding of the Equality Act or how to treat people with any form of disability. Ironic really.
Great place work, opportunities for progression and advancement. Competitive salary with benefits added and variety of shift patterns.
Pros
Unsociable pay
Cons
Irregular shift patterns
the day was always fun the other co-workers were always nice and supportive. I learned that retail is not a easy business to go in to also it is very active. The management was not great but it was bareable.the co-workers were supportive and they would never hold back when I was making a mistake. the hardest part of the job was I had to go to certain places that had a lot of dust and I am allergic. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I got to work with different people and get t know one another.
A great way to get out at no cost to myself. A typical day involves meeting customers and serving them at the till, finishing off the culling and 1/2 pricing of stock, pricing up non clothes items and putting them into displays.
Pros
Paid Bus Fares
Cons
Not getting paid
My experience here was fairly productive as I was given several varied tasks to do each day, such as, visual merchandising and putting out new clothes, accessories and ornaments on the shop floor. My co-workers were all very friendly and polite and were always willing to help me with the tasks I was set to do.
Overall my experience of working at Helen and Douglas House has been a pleasant one. The staff are very respectful and welcoming to new members and the working environment itself is good. The working hours themselves are not too long which that the job becomes unlikable. During my time there i have learned just how much hard work goes into running charity shops and I have gained and even higher amount of respect and admiration towards those who work and are responsible for running them.
A fun and busy environment to work in I trained as a chef through my position here great team members Hard and emotional sometimes putting a smile on the children's faces made my day!
I would start work at around 1pm every Wednesday, and work until 5pm. My typical work day would be fairly busy and i'd always have something to do, whether it was working on the till or sorting donations. I got on well with all my co-workers, as they were helpful and friendly to all. My manager was a generally nice person. She was really helpful and taught me a lot, such as how the shop is ran, how to use the till and how to sort donations properly. I don't think I found anything too hard once I knew how everything worked, but when I started, I found it kind of hard to get the hang of everything. Once I knew properly, I was really confident and worked well. What I liked most was meeting new people and gaining a better work experience, which hopefully will get me a part time job.
Pros
Helpful people, Co-workers, Training skills I learnt.
Cons
Traveling to get to work.